1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 09:16
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    what fat people?
    Those fat people that you claim are shoving their fat faces with more pizza and kool-aid. 😏

The Instructor
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 09:27
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Those fat people that you claim are shoving their fat faces with more pizza and kool-aid. 😏

The Instructor
    im not following you, whats the relevance of me forgiving them?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 09:36
    im not following you, whats the relevance of me forgiving them?
    I am just asking you to prove you are not a liar, when you said you are a very forgiving person, by forgiving those fat people that you despise.

The Instructor
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 10:47
    I am just asking you to prove you are not a liar, when you said you are a very forgiving person, by forgiving those fat people that you despise.

The Instructor
    where did i say that i despise fat people? have you understood the thread?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 16:491 edit
    where did i say that i despise fat people? have you understood the thread?
    You must have some strong reason for not forgiving fat people for shoving their fat faces with more pizza and kool-aid. What else would make such a forgiving person as yourself refuse to forgive? Could it be that you are not very forgiving after all?

The Instructor
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 18:36
    You must have some strong reason for not forgiving fat people for shoving their fat faces with more pizza and kool-aid. What else would make such a forgiving person as yourself refuse to forgive? Could it be that you are not very forgiving after all?

The Instructor
    there is nothing to forgive, im not a christian, i dont believe gluttony is a sin.

question for you r.j.

are you anti-abortion on religious grounds?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 19:59
    there is nothing to forgive, im not a christian, i dont believe gluttony is a sin.

question for you r.j.

are you anti-abortion on religious grounds?
    I am against abortion on many grounds. There is conservative, Republican, capitalist, moral, and religious grounds that quickly come to mind. But, unlike your refusal to forgive the fat person, I will forgive the abortionist, even knowing it is wrong.

The Instructor
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 20:23
    I am against abortion on many grounds. There is conservative, Republican, capitalist, moral, and religious grounds that quickly come to mind. But, unlike your refusal to forgive the fat person, I will forgive the abortionist, even knowing it is wrong.

The Instructor
    conservative,republican and capitalist?????
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 22:39
    conservative,republican and capitalist?????
    three strikes, you're out. 😀
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    16 Jul '13 00:332 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    When the bible talks about it, it is harsh in its condemnation.

Edit: but I take the lazy way out and discard the bible as a moral authority, whereas some, like vistesd, have presented compelling cases that they weren't really talking about the same thing as today's Christians.
    You're not lazy, old friend. I don't hold the Torah as moral authority (after all, I'm not into either "divine command" or "categorical imperatives" when it comes to all that). But I have an interest in both the traditions (myths, philosophies, poetry, stories), and--perhaps because I take a largely "literary critical approach"--I think that they are valid as such, and that (sometimes deliberately) hidden gems can be found there [as they can in Aesop, and Zen stories/koans]. I am also fascinated by the Jewish midrashic/talmudic hermeneutics (which predates Christ, and is paradigmatically different from most Christian strategies of reading); and it is quite "post-modern". I discovered that Judaism is just not what I always thought it was. 🙂

EDIT: There is not a thing that I have written on here, from a "Jewish" or atheist/naturalist/nondualist or Zennist (etc.) perspective that would prevent me from being able to join the local synagogue (admittedly, mostly Reform); the kabbalah of, say, Rabbi Lawrence Kushner says the same thing that Zen does--just inside a different "language game".
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Jul '13 02:113 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    You're not lazy, old friend. I don't hold the Torah as moral authority (after all, I'm not into either "divine command" or "categorical imperatives" when it comes to all that). But I have an interest in both the traditions (myths, philosophies, poetry, stories), and--perhaps because I take a largely "literary critical approach"--I think that they are valid shner says the same thing that Zen does--just inside a different "language game".
    Thanks. And I did not mean to imply that you regard the bible as moral authority, but rather that you work harder at redeeming some of the passages than I do (assuming I don't just give up on them outright 🙂)

I've always found your posts on Judaism interesting, particularly the ones where people argued for different interpretations of scripture, like Abraham failing the test by attempting to sacrifice Isaac.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jul '13 08:29
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Thanks. And I did not mean to imply that you regard the bible as moral authority, but rather that you work harder at redeeming some of the passages than I do (assuming I don't just give up on them outright 🙂)

I've always found your posts on Judaism interesting, particularly the ones where people argued for different interpretations of scripture, like Abraham failing the test by attempting to sacrifice Isaac.
    Abraham may have failed a test, but his belief in God is said to have been credited to him as righteoursness anyway.

The Instructor
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '13 17:44
    Abraham may have failed a test, but his belief in God is said to have been credited to him as righteoursness anyway.

The Instructor
    Not sure if he would want to be declared righteoursness.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Jul '13 03:30
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ... , the Romans made a practice of eating and drinking gluttonously and then vomiting their food up so as to indulge in more, ...
    You believe that nonsense Robbie?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Jul '13 03:33
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    ... or genetic disorder.
    No genetic disorder will allow you to put on weight if you consume less calories than you burn!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree