1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    29 May '16 09:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have never met a Christian that doesn't.
    You should get out more. 😛
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '16 09:23
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    I haven't met any Christians who claim to be able to read the mind of God.
    Well. if a Christian were to respond in this way, it would of course be a complete cop out in the face of a reasonable question inviting scrutiny and discussion of their beliefs. This is not to say that such a cop out would surprise me. You shouldn't feel the need to speak on their behalf.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    29 May '16 09:26
    Actually a bit of research shows that it may be genetically engineered...

http://www.naturalnews.com/052824_Zika_virus_genetically_engineered_mosquitoes_unintended_consequences.html
    Helps to pick your sources carefully to get the result you hope for. This one is Natural News:

Natural News covers holistic health, nutritional therapies, consciousness and spirituality, permaculture , organics, animal rights, environmental health, food and superfoods , and performance nutrition.

The site strongly criticizes drugs-and-surgery medicine, vaccines, corporate corruption, animal testing, the use of humans for medical experiments, the chemical contamination of foods, heavy metals in consumer products, factory farming and government corruption.

Natural News also warns its readers about science gone bad and frequently cites examples of science resulting in catastrophies that it calls "crimes" against humanity.

There may be very good stuff on the site - I am not familiar with it and I have a lot of sympathy for its challenging of the drugs and chemical industries - but it remains a campaigning site with an agenda that would fit very well with the mindset that enjoys / prefers conspiracy theory.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 May '16 09:31
    A bit of advice: Not everything on the internet is true.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '16 09:33

http://www.naturalnews.com/052824_Zika_virus_genetically_engineered_mosquitoes_unintended_consequences.html
    Well, you can substitute Malaria for Zika for the purposes of this discussion if you want.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    29 May '16 09:36

Similar "research" will show you that homeopathy cured the JFK assassination during 9/11.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 May '16 14:04
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are you saying that in order to understand a god's purpose, the followers are required to be able to read their god's mind?

Do you "read (your) God's mind" when seeking to understand his purpose?

If you did happen to meet some Chrisitans who told you they were able to "read God's" mind, would you believe them and if so would you therefore join with them and follow their way?
    Or you could avoid answering the question...
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '16 14:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do Christians believe that their God figure created the Zika virus?

If so, what do they believe the purpose of creating it was?
    No.

Is that blunt enough for you?

Now will we finally see the other shoe dropped? Will we finally see what machinations drive someone like you to post a question like this? Come on, show us your motivations. Peel back the hood on that "Ferrari". LOL
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '16 14:30
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Or you could avoid answering the question...
    Or maybe you could answer the OP.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 May '16 14:41
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No.

Now will we finally see the other shoe dropped? Will we finally see what machinations drive someone like you to post a question like this? Come on, show us your motivations. Peel back the hood on that "Ferrari". LOL
    No.

You speak for all Christians? Or just yourself?

I ask because you are not a Young Earth Creationist and [mostly] accept Evolution and
    the parts of science that don't contradict your particular ideology.

Other Christians may have a totally different view if they [as often professed] claim that
    everything was designed and the Evolution does not and cannot happen.

FMF has already made it very clear why he's asking in this thread.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '16 14:53
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No.

You speak for all Christians? Or just yourself?

I ask because you are not a Young Earth Creationist and [mostly] accept Evolution and
    the parts of science that don't contradict your particular ideology.

Other Christians may have a totally different view if they [as often professed] claim that ...[text shortened]... at "Ferrari". LOL[/quote]

FMF has already made it very clear why he's asking in this thread.
    No, of course I'm not speaking for all Christians.

Clearly, FMF is inviting people (Christians)(yes, Christians are people) to give their opinion. Just as he later gives his own, and then turns around and labels ALL Christians with his trademarked broad brush.

"FMF has already made it very clear why he's asking in this thread."
    Right. What I'm asking for evidence for is his REAL motivation. Which seems to be to tar all Christians with the same handy brush. The extremely broad brush I mentioned earlier.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 May '16 14:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No.

Was it designed by someone or did it evolve?

Come on, show us your motivations.
    I can't speak for the poster, but I would ask such a question of any creationist as they claim all life is designed for a purpose by God.

What is your belief on the matter? Does God simply allow life to evolve as it wishes, or does he interfere? Did he foresee virus' when he designed the universe? Could he have not avoided the bad ones? Or does he just not care?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '16 14:58
    Actually, what shocked me the most was that two Christians asked "What is the Zika virus?"

I mean, they are aware that there is a device called a TV (and another one called a radio) and on this device they sometimes provide the news, right? Better yet, do something on the internet besides watch 'funny animal' videos. Sheesh.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '16 15:452 edits

[b]Come on, show us your motivations.

I can't speak for the poster, but I would ask such a question of any creationist as they claim all life is designed for a purpose by God.

What is your belief on the matter? Does God simply allow life to evolve as it wishes, or does he interfere? Did he foresee vi ...[text shortened]... hen he designed the universe? Could he have not avoided the bad ones? Or does he just not care?[/b]
    My personal belief? Is that what you're asking? I just want to be clear on this point. Remember, you asked.

Well, I am not a 'creationist', as googlefudge pointed out. If FMF only wanted the opinion of 'creationists', then he should have said so in his OP. Since he didn't, I spoke up.

I believe that God created the universe. I believe that the observable causes for the creation of the universe are exactly as the cosmologists describe. Yes, there was a 'Big Bang'. Yes, the universe is 13.8 billion years old (or whatever the most recent estimation is). Yes, the Earth is 4.5 billion years old. The 'Big Bang' was merely God's "Let there be light" moment; the starting gun, if you will. Yes, there is evolution. Yes, Man (Homo sapiens sapiens) is only a recent newcomer to the party, relatively speaking. I believe that evolution is part of God's 'creation toolbox'. I believe He intervenes (tweaks the machine) to be sure that evolution is on the proper 'track' to follow His will. But as such, I do not believe He necessarily still intervenes. It's a self-running machine, and self-regulating, for the most part. And it doesn't have much longer to go. (Yes, we are approaching the 'end times', but we're still in the 'run-up', we're not there yet.) This is why Man effecting global climate change and viruses running rampant (pestilence and disease) and the extinction of species is happening. I do not think He 'tweaks' the system to make specific changes any more, but He does understand that things will come about of their own accord (there is a time to every purpose under Heaven). The clockwork mechanism is running down, and things 'will' get worse before the end. Men with evil intent, or perhaps worse, no intent, except their own perceived self-interest, do seem to be running the planet. The stage is being set for the rise of the AntiChrist. And for him to be accepted by the entire world, things will have to have nearly 'gone to hell in a handbasket' worldwide. He will come with solutions to all these problems (and more importantly to some, even economic problems) and for a short time, things will seem to get better and this is the period in which he will solidify his control over the entire world.

You've heard the rest before, so I'll stop there. Earth was intended to be an Eden, but Evil showed up and Man made the decision to disobey God, What we're seeing is the eventual result of Evil having its way with the world, because Man invited him in. And God is going to let us reap what we sowed, but in the end, a remnant will be saved, and there will be a New Earth (Earth v2.0? ) after the old is 'swept away'. But basically, Man has made his bed and now must lie in it for a time.

I make no pretense that anyone else here shares my exact views.

DISCLAIMER: I use 'Man' in this post in a collective way to describe the entire human race. Giggling at me and 'surely, you jest', as well as pondering my sanity, will be given the time they deserve, as deemed by me, which means none. Have a nice day!
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '16 15:53

[b]Come on, show us your motivations.

What is your belief on the matter? Does God simply allow life to evolve as it wishes, or does he interfere? Did he foresee vi ...[text shortened]... hen he designed the universe? Could he have not avoided the bad ones? Or does he just not care?[/b]

I just realized I never answered this question. Well, I do not know if it was engineered in a lab or if it evolved. I do not believe it was specifically 'sent by God'. I suppose it is possible it could have evolved and was held in check by some species of animal or something that has since gone extinct and now it runs rampant without the previous check on its growth, but all I can do is speculate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree