The Zika Virus

The Zika Virus

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
30 May 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
There's no evidence that it was.
None that you know of. But then again I think we don't even know 1% of everything there is to know.

Cape Town

Moves
30 May 16

Originally posted by mariekeXIV
Ok, and you are absolutely sure that it was not genetically engineered?
Yes. The virus was first isolated in 1947 and presumably the disease was known about before then. Genetic engineering technology wasn't particularly good at that time. And why would anyone be genetically engineering such a virus at that time? To what end? There are a number of related virus' such as dengue, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, and West Nile that are much worse. If you want a nasty virus just go get Yellow Fever rather than making a new one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zika_virus

Cape Town

Moves
30 May 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
None that you know of. But then again I think we don't even know 1% of everything there is to know.
That doesn't make any random statement more likely.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
30 May 16
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Yes. The virus was first isolated in 1947 and presumably the disease was known about before then. Genetic engineering technology wasn't particularly good at that time. And why would anyone be genetically engineering such a virus at that time? To what end? There are a number of related virus' such as dengue, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, and West N ...[text shortened]... st go get Yellow Fever rather than making a new one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zika_virus
Yes.

No you don't know that for a fact.

You can blabber on for as long as you like, but the fact is that you don't know for sure that it wasn't genetically engineered. (Unless you know everything there is to know) You may want to believe that it wasn't but that is your choice.

Just like you can't know for sure that God doesn't exist.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
30 May 16

That doesn't make any random statement more likely.
I didn't say more or less likely, you claim to know it as a fact, but you don't.

F

Moves
30 May 16

You can blabber on for as long as you like, but the fact is that you don't know for sure that [Zika] wasn't genetically engineered.
This is a red herring. If you object to discussing Zika on the grounds it might be genetically engineered [back in 1947?], you can instead take Malaria or Yellow Fever and use them to address the OP.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
30 May 16

Originally posted by FMF
This is a red herring. If you object to discussing Zika on the grounds it might be genetically engineered [back in 1947?], you can instead take Malaria or Yellow Fever and use them to address the OP.
If you are truly interested in a Christian perspective on the existence of pathogenic viruses, I suggest the following link:

https://www.trueorigin.org/virus.php

F

Moves
30 May 16

If you are truly interested in a Christian perspective on the existence of pathogenic viruses, I suggest the following link:

https://www.trueorigin.org/virus.php
What I am truly interested in is talking to Christians here in this community about their differing views. Come on, you've been dancing around evasively for four pages now. Why don't you just state either what your perspective is, or what your views on Christian perspectives are?

Cape Town

Moves
30 May 16
1 edit

No you don't know that for a fact.

You can blabber on for as long as you like, but the fact is that you don't know for sure that it wasn't genetically engineered. (Unless you know everything there is to know) You may want to believe that it wasn't but that is your choice.

Just like you can't know for sure that God doesn't exist.
Again, your repeat of the stupid argument that nobody can no anything unless they know everything.

What is 2+2, and do you know it for a fact?

You know nothing, and you do not know that I do not know for a fact that the Zika Virus was genetically engineered.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
30 May 16

Originally posted by FMF
What I am truly interested in is talking to Christians here in this community about their differing views. Come on, you've been dancing around evasively for four pages now. Why don't you just state either what your perspective is, or what your views on Christian perspectives are?
I would say pathogenesis is evidence of something gone wrong, a mutation or the accidental movement of genes, and not evidence of a system deliberately designed to cause human disease and suffering.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
30 May 16

Again, your repeat of the stupid argument that nobody can no anything unless they know everything.

What is 2+2, and do you know it for a fact?

You know nothing, and you do not know that I do not know for a fact that the Zika Virus was genetically engineered.
Knowing the answer to 2+2 is not the same as claiming to know that the Zika virus was NOT genetically engineered and you know that.

Moves
30 May 16

I haven't met any Christians who claim to be able to read the mind of God.
Third time of asking 🙂

Are you saying that in order to understand a god's purpose, the followers are required to be able to read their god's mind?

Do you "read (your) God's mind" when seeking to understand his purpose?

If you did happen to meet some Chrisitans who told you they were able to "read God's" mind, would you believe them and if so would you therefore join with them and follow their way?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
30 May 16

Originally posted by divegeester
Third time of asking 🙂

Are you saying that in order to understand a god's purpose, the followers are required to be able to read their god's mind?

If you did happen to meet some Chrisitans who told you they were able to "read God's" mind, would you believe them and if so would you therefore join with them and follow their way?

No, they generally read their holy book.

Nope, his purpose has already been revealed and is recorded in the holy book.

Nope.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
30 May 16

I would say pathogenesis is evidence of something gone wrong, a mutation or the accidental movement of genes, and not evidence of a system deliberately designed to cause human disease and suffering.
Why is this not sufficient grounds to endorse the entire theory of evolution by natural selection? What more do you need once you accept that?

Human suffering makes no sense in a world designed by God for our benefit, but it makes complete sense in a world where we have no special status and which is not here for our benefit.

F

Moves
30 May 16

You suggest viruses are evidence of "something gone wrong". Do you mean "something gone wrong" with the implementation of God's will, or "something gone wrong" with human free will in some way? Also, if you don't mind me asking, is your idea about the "accidental movement of genes", in your view, a Christian beliefs-based notion?