Theism's Perversion of Basic Terms

Theism's Perversion of Basic Terms

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Sep 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
you can conceive anything. im sure your wife will never turn into a zombie made out of cheese and try and eat you but i bet you can imagine what you would do if she did*.......unless you have zero imagination or are incapable of making your own decisions.

*the answer is - push her in a fire with some bread wait until she has melted and the bread has toasted and then eat her.
Its no different than worry about all the corners on a circle, or smelling the
color blue.
Kelly

Moves
25 Sep 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
Its no different than worry about all the corners on a circle, or smelling the
color blue.
Kelly
i dont follow, they seem to be non nonsensical sentences rather than hypothetical questions. the point of a hypothetical question is it helps form a picture of the person answering, usually when asked a hypothetical question a person responds with a truthful answer.

its a bit like the rorshach ink test. the question 'what can you see in the image' is kinda hypothetical because there is no specific image in the blotch but the answer the viewer gives says a lot about who they are and how they think.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Sep 12
2 edits

i dont follow, they seem to be non nonsensical sentences rather than hypothetical questions. the point of a hypothetical question is it helps form a picture of the person answering, usually when asked a hypothetical question a person responds with a truthful answer.

its a bit like the rorshach ink test. the question 'what can you see in the image' i ...[text shortened]... n the blotch but the answer the viewer gives says a lot about who they are and how they think.
I think he means the premise of the hypothetical is based on nonsense just the same as imagining the smell of the color blue. Doesn't the answers we have given tell something about who we are and how we think?

Moves
25 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
I think he means the premise of the hypothetical is based on nonsense just the same as imagining the smell of the color blue. Doesn't the answers we have given tell something about who we are and how we think?
thats crazy. hypothetical questioning is an important part of all science, especially psychology, sociology even non science subjects like the arts use hyothetics, most films and books are hypothetical, they ask what would people do if x or y happened to a person, therefore examining human behavior.

do you guys never ask yourselves hypothetical question like - what would i do if i won millions of pounds, or if i had three wishes what would i do?

oh and just to be smart arse, some people can smell the colour blue and if you stick an irish man in a barrel and tell him to stand in the corner he'll walk in a circle forever.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Sep 12

thats crazy. hypothetical questioning is an important part of all science, especially psychology, sociology even non science subjects like the arts use hyothetics, most films and books are hypothetical, they ask what would people do if x or y happened to a person, therefore examining human behavior.

do you guys never ask yourselves hypothetical ques ...[text shortened]... ck an irish man in a barrel and tell him to stand in the corner he'll walk in a circle forever.
Do tell?

Moves
25 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Do tell?
tell what? id tell you anything r.j. you smooth talking lothario of the web.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Sep 12

its a bit like the rorshach ink test. the question 'what can you see in the image' i ...[text shortened]... n the blotch but the answer the viewer gives says a lot about who they are and how they think.
I have been complaining that what was being suggested could ever happen.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Sep 12

do you guys never ask yourselves hypothetical ques ...[text shortened]... ck an irish man in a barrel and tell him to stand in the corner he'll walk in a circle forever.
So if you ask me what would happen if I added just the numbers 3 and 3, and
this time got an odd number, what am I to think of your question, knowing
that when you add two odd numbers together you always get an even one as
an answer? I'd think you would need to come up with another question!
Kelly

Cape Town

Moves
25 Sep 12

Kelly
You need to be clear about whether you are claiming it could not happen or whether you think it is illogical. The two are not the same.
If it could not happen, then you should still have no problem answering the hypothetical question.
If it is illogical, then you need to explain why you think it is illogical.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Sep 12

Kelly
I would think he had gone nuts!

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
26 Sep 12
1 edit

... an irish man in a barrel and tell him to stand in the corner he'll walk in a circle forever.
Yes this forum is very like the metaphorical barrel and I often find myself looking for the corner.

F

Moves
26 Sep 12

Originally posted by finnegan
Yes this forum is very like the metaphorical barrel and I often find myself looking for the corner.
I think you provide some of better booze that gets stored in this barrel.

Moves
26 Sep 12

Kelly
it doesnt matter if the circumstances in a hypothetical question 'could happen'.

for example - there is no such thing as a genie that could grant me 3 wishes, it will never happen. if you asked me what i would do if a genie gave me 3 wishes, i could refuse to answer the question as 'it could not happen', but if i did answer the question it would give you a lot of information about myself.

so in religious context, if i asked you - would you kill a bus load of children if god told you to. you might say 'thats silly because god would never do that' and refuse to answer and we learn nothing. if you answered yes or no and explained why we learn lots about how your faith works.

Moves
26 Sep 12

Kelly
if you asked me that question i would answer - i would sit down and do the sum again and figure out how i got the wrong answer. if it kept happening id go and speak to my sister (maths teacher) then possibly a doctor to have my head checked.

see that wasnt so difficult. it may be a silly question, it depends on what you were trying to learn by asking the question. i might declare it silly, but i would be second guessing that you had no reason to ask it.

hypothetical questions are not to be feared.

one of my favorites is - would you rather have a larger penis or brain?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Sep 12

if you asked me that question i would answer - i would sit down and do the sum again and figure out how i got the wrong answer. if it kept happening id go and speak to my sister (maths teacher) then possibly a doctor to have my head checked.

see that wasnt so difficult. it may be a silly question, it depends on what you were trying to learn by asking ...[text shortened]... re not to be feared.

one of my favorites is - would you rather have a larger penis or brain?
You better choose brain. Just saying.