Theism's Perversion of Basic Terms

Theism's Perversion of Basic Terms

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
25 Sep 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
No you didn't try, you've attempted to treat the creater of life and death as
if He were one of the created.
Kelly
I've attempted no such thing. That's just poor reading comprehension on your part. Not sure what else to say on that.

L

Moves
25 Sep 12
2 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
I try to do the best I can with my limited knowledge and intelligence. I just thank the Lord for what He has allowed me to have. I do not claim to have perfect knowledge in how to relate to other people. So if I offend you I can only ask that you and God will forgive my short comings. Am I wrong to assume that you do not have perfect knowledge to be able to judge God?
Am I wrong to assume that you do not have perfect knowledge to be able to judge God?

Are you under the delusion that one needs "perfect" or infallible faculties in order to come to accurate judgments on stuff? What on earth would give you that idea? Do you not come to many accurate judgments on all kinds of matters despite your not having perfect cognitive faculties? Why should the affairs of God be any different? Anyway, why would one need perfect faculties to understand that a perfectly loving and just god would not sanction genocide and the like?

It's a shame that you're committed to your being such an incurable dufus when it comes to understanding the morally relevant actions of God. For one thing, it means that He cannot function, even in principle, as a moral exemplar for you. For another thing, it's hard to understand how you can be expected to morally develop into an autonomous moral agent when you're supposedly an incurable dufus when it comes to understanding such things.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Sep 12

Originally posted by LemonJello
I've attempted no such thing. That's just poor reading comprehension on your part. Not sure what else to say on that.
You gave God reasons to do things that are His to do as He sees fit in an attempt
to judge His behavior, not sure how you think what you were suggesting wasn't
that.
Kelly

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Sep 12

Am I wrong to assume that you do not have perfect knowledge to be able to judge God?

Are you under the delusion that one needs "perfect" or infallible faculties in order to come to accurate judgments on stuff? What on earth would give you that idea? Do you not come to many accurate judgments on all kinds of matters despite your not hav ...[text shortened]... gent when you're supposedly an incurable dufus when it comes to understanding such things.
If we are lucky we can make accurate judgments, but without perfect knowledge I don't believe we can know for sure because we are like children that are still learning when you compare the awesome wisdom of God.

L

Moves
25 Sep 12
1 edit

You gave God reasons to do things that are His to do as He sees fit in an attempt
to judge His behavior, not sure how you think what you were suggesting wasn't
that.
Kelly
The only thing I did was present a hypothetical that is perfectly consistent with your view that God has the right to do whatever for whatever reason at all.

And what does this have to do with your earlier accusation that my hypothetical attempted to imply that God is "one of the created"? Your accusations against my hypothetical are all absurd, but it's kind of amusing listening to them at this point. Now you cannot even keep them all straight.

L

Moves
25 Sep 12

If we are lucky we can make accurate judgments, but without perfect knowledge I don't believe we can know for sure because we are like children that are still learning when you compare the awesome wisdom of God.
So, when do you actually morally mature into an adult, according to your view? Never?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Sep 12
1 edit

The only thing I did was present a hypothetical that is perfectly consistent with your view that God has the right to do whatever for whatever reason at all.

And what does this have to do with your earlier accusation that my hypothetical attempted to imply that God is "one of the created"? Your accusations against my hypothetical are all absurd, but i kind of amusing listening to them at this point. Now you cannot even keep them all straight.
How did you describe the events for God's actions?
If you said God setup life so all die, and you had someone who was attempting
to kill everyone they saw....I'd say that would look more like reality, yet you
said God's reasons (REASONS) for the action was what? As I have repeatedly
told you everyone dies and God setup life that way here, for HIS reasons. So you
wish to assign reasons for this to Him. The whole point of this discussion was that
God some how does not have the right to end life as He sees fit when He setup
life to end any way He wants and judge God as doing wrong.
Kelly

L

Moves
25 Sep 12

How did you describe the events for God's actions?
If you said God setup life so all die, and you had someone who was attempting
to kill everyone they saw....I'd say that would look more like reality, yet you
said God's reasons (REASONS) for the action was what? As I have repeatedly
told you everyone dies and God setup life that way here, for HIS reason ...[text shortened]... He sees fit when He setup
life to end any way He wants and judge God as doing wrong.
Kelly
Word salad. Yummy!

I'm sorry, but I find this very hard to parse.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Sep 12

Word salad. Yummy!

I'm sorry, but I find this very hard to parse.
Better, changed a word.
Had you left the reasons off for why things were done, would that set your point
up properly?
Kelly

Cape Town

Moves
25 Sep 12

This is my understanding of the dicussion:
LemonJello: Suppose God does something horrible for no good reason. Do you agree that under your view that would be morally acceptable?
KellyJay:
1. How can you know what Gods reasons are?
2. God cannot have no good reason due to his nature.
3. You are making claims about Gods reasons which is an insult to God.

I think it is clear that Kelly either doesn't understand what a hypothetical is, or is deliberately deflecting.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Sep 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
This is my understanding of the dicussion:
LemonJello: Suppose God does something horrible for no good reason. Do you agree that under your view that would be morally acceptable?
KellyJay:
1. How can you know what Gods reasons are?
2. God cannot have no good reason due to his nature.
3. You are making claims about Gods reasons which is an insult to ...[text shortened]... ear that Kelly either doesn't understand what a hypothetical is, or is deliberately deflecting.
It is clear to me that neither you and LemonJello understands that to us Christians, it is inconceivable that "God does something horrible for no good reason."

Cape Town

Moves
25 Sep 12

It is clear to me that neither you and LemonJello understands that to us Christians, it is inconceivable that "God does something horrible for no good reason."
The very fact that you claim it is inconceivable means that you first conceived it as a hypothetical then rejected it as a possible reality. Since it is the hypothetical being discussed the fact that you reject it as a possible reality is irrelevant.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Sep 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
The very fact that you claim it is inconceivable means that you first conceived it as a hypothetical then rejected it as a possible reality. Since it is the hypothetical being discussed the fact that you reject it as a possible reality is irrelevant.
It is very relevant to any answer that a Christian could conceive.

Cape Town

Moves
25 Sep 12

No, actually, it isn't.

Moves
25 Sep 12

you can conceive anything. im sure your wife will never turn into a zombie made out of cheese and try and eat you but i bet you can imagine what you would do if she did*.......unless you have zero imagination or are incapable of making your own decisions.

*the answer is - push her in a fire with some bread wait until she has melted and the bread has toasted and then eat her.