Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 18:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    no apologies needed! If anything, an agnostic gets "pity" from
    theists, so vastly uncertain, poor guy. Like I care. One problem
    you cannot get around, suppose what you think of as a god is
    in fact only a very powerful alien with an attitude problem.
    How would you tell the differance? Seems to me just as likely a
    possiblity of that then a real god, ...[text shortened]... my heart" kind of crap.
    Give me something objective here. How would you know the
    differance?
    just for a dichotomy of agnostic and gnostic.

this is Gnostic:
    "I will speak to those who know to hear not with the ears of the body but with the ears of the mind. For many have sought after the truth and have not been able to find it; because there has taken hold of them the old leaven of the Pharisees and the scribes of the Law. And the leaven is the errant desire of the angels and the demons and the stars. As for the Pharisees and the scribes, it is they who belong to the archons who have authority over them.."
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 18:13
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    just for a dichotomy of agnostic and gnostic.

this is Gnostic:
    "I will speak to those who know to hear not with the ears of the body but with the ears of the mind. For many have sought after the truth and have not been able to find it; because there has taken hold of them the old leaven of the Pharisees and the scribes of the Law. And the leaven ...[text shortened]... Pharisees and the scribes, it is they who belong to the archons who have authority over them.."
    and later in the same Gnostic text:

"The foolish - thinking in their heart that if they confess, "We are Christians," in word only (but) not with power, while giving themselves over to ignorance, to a human death, not knowing where they are going nor who Christ is, thinking that they will live, when they are (really) in error - hasten towards the principalities and authorities. They fall into their clutches because of the ignorance that is in them. For (if) only words which bear testimony were effecting salvation, the whole world would endure this thing and would be saved. But it is in this way that they drew error to themselves. ...
    ... (3 lines unrecoverable)
    ... they do not know that they will destroy themselves. If the Father were to desire a human sacrifice, he would become vainglorious."
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 19:17
    and later in the same Gnostic text:

"The foolish - thinking in their heart that if they confess, "We are Christians," in word only (but) not with power, while giving themselves over to ignorance, to a human death, not knowing where they are going nor who Christ is, thinking that they will live, when they are (really) in error - hasten towards the ...[text shortened]... troy themselves. If the Father were to desire a human sacrifice, he would become vainglorious."
    sounds to me like you have a lot of words yourself...and that is all there is.
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 21:001 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    sounds to me like you have a lot of words yourself...and that is all there is.
    whose words? That was written by an early Christian, 200 years before Error got control of the roman church and used violence to suppress other Christians.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 22:57
    whose words? That was written by an early Christian, 200 years before Error got control of the roman church and used violence to suppress other Christians.
    Is Error a person or chance?
  6. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 23:26
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Is Error a person or chance?
    Error is the distortion of the spirit that permeates all living things, the Gnostic quotes I gave were used as reasoning behind the innacuracy of the OT's description of God, later Gnostics viewed the creator god as evil because the creation of matter caused the Error.
    God to the Gnostic Christians was the Spirit, and the rest of the universe , including man, was part of God.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 23:35
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Atheism has nothing to do with evolution. They're two completely different subjects. Not all atheists believe in evolution (although there tends to be a very high correlation), and large number of theists do believe in it.
    I think creation has nothing to do with evolution either, but
    some find that hard to believe. I do agree with you, atheism and
    evolution are different subjects, but they do have something to do
    with one another depending how both are defined.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 23:43
    no apologies needed! If anything, an agnostic gets "pity" from
    theists, so vastly uncertain, poor guy. Like I care. One problem
    you cannot get around, suppose what you think of as a god is
    in fact only a very powerful alien with an attitude problem.
    How would you tell the differance? Seems to me just as likely a
    possiblity of that then a real god, ...[text shortened]... my heart" kind of crap.
    Give me something objective here. How would you know the
    differance?
    Startgate, episode 1, season 1, through Season 9 on...
    😲
    Kelly
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 03:39
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I think creation has nothing to do with evolution either, but
    some find that hard to believe. I do agree with you, atheism and
    evolution are different subjects, but they do have something to do
    with one another depending how both are defined.
    Kelly
    The only thing they have to do with one another is that because atheists do not accept supernatural explanations for things, they will give preference to purely naturalistic ones. So atheists will tend to gravitate toward evolution.

If someone tells you they're an atheist, you can make a good guess that they'll also belief in evolution. But they do not necessarily go hand in hand.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 04:00
    The only thing they have to do with one another is that because atheists do not accept supernatural explanations for things, they will give preference to purely naturalistic ones. So atheists will tend to gravitate toward evolution.

If someone tells you they're an atheist, you can make a good guess that they'll also belief in evolution. But they do not necessarily go hand in hand.
    I agree they do not necessarily go hand in hand.
    Kelly
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Aug '05 17:23

Interesting thing about athiests: there may be more to the universe
    than can be summed up by our set of forces so far discovered:
    Electromagnetic, strong, weak, gravity. It may turn out that other
    forces maybe acting across dimensional barriers give rise to what
    we would call "supernatural" simply because all of nature has not
    been discovered yet. Maybe a million years from now, if science
    and the human race survive that long, maybe then we would say
    atheists were wrong to deny the possiblilty of, say, telepathy,
    or other "supernatural" events.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Aug '05 17:34
    Interesting thing about athiests: there may be more to the universe
    than can be summed up by our set of forces so far discovered:
    Electromagnetic, strong, weak, gravity. It may turn out that other
    forces maybe acting across dimensional barriers give rise to what
    we would call "supernatural" simply because all of nature has not
    been discovered yet. Ma ...[text shortened]... heists were wrong to deny the possiblilty of, say, telepathy,
    or other "supernatural" events.
    Atheists do not at any time deny the possibility of telepathy or other supernatural events. If you can provide any good evidence that they exist then we will believe in them. Until then...

Your problem is that you don't know what an atheist is.
  13. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    23 Aug '05 17:41
    Atheists do not at any time deny the possibility of telepathy or other supernatural events. If you can provide any good evidence that they exist then we will believe in them. Until then...

I see the problem being that you might only accept natural (empirical) evidence for the supernatural, which clearly means that there's no way to prove it by your criteria.

Supernatural in definition being something that cannot be explained by natural science.
  14. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    23 Aug '05 17:43

By your definition of atheist - why would an atheist believe anything given good evidence?
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Aug '05 17:45
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I see the problem being that you might only accept natural (empirical) evidence for the supernatural, which clearly means that there's no way to prove it by your criteria.

Supernatural in definition being something that cannot be explained by natural science.
    Can you demonstrate the existence of your god by any means whatsoever?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree