theory and prediction

theory and prediction

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by Coletti
God exists is a fact. The question is what defintion of God is true.
This makes no sense. Facts are ways the world is, they are states of affairs that obtain, they are that which make true propositions true and to which true declarative sentences refer. The question is not how we ought to define 'God'. The question is given some definition of 'God', does the term 'God' refers to something actual, or is the proposition 'God exists' true, or is it a fact that God exists.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
09 May 05
2 edits

Originally posted by bbarr
No, No, No. Either it is a fact that God exists or it is a fact that God does not exist.
Proposed Spirituality Forum Tenet #3: Bbarr's rejection of Proposed Spirituality Forum Tenet #1 is not consistent with Coletti's notion of "facts" ("Facts can be measured, observed, repeated." )

Do we all agree with this?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
09 May 05
2 edits

A scientific FACT is something that can be observed by scientific experimentation.

A scientific THEORY "is something that can be reasonably conclude from empirical data."

So therein is the problem. Mixing facts and theory in scienc Theories are built on facts. They are not one and the same.

learning to type Colletti? seems you hit your cap locks twice.

God is a hypothesis, and not even a very good one.

The biblical god is man created not the other way around. So, unless you think you were created by the gods of the Sumerians you ought to drop the the creation stuff: and while you're dropping stuff : drop the stuff about Macro- Evolution not being a FACT , it is indeed FACT ! The theories are about the mechanism of how it came about not that it didnt happen.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
09 May 05

Again you are taking about past tenses. There are many facts we have yet to observe. But talking about them before we observe them would not make them facts. Since we have observed Pluto going around the sun, we can say it is a fact that Pluto goes around the sun. If it went around the sun 9,000 years ago could be debated if there are no observations. B ...[text shortened]... ne to believe it is true. Not all truths are scientific facts. All scientific facts are true.
I give up. You are unwilling to answer my simple questions.

You then assert that God's existence is a fact, even though God
cannot be measured, observed, or repeated.

Rwingett is right. It is just a waste of time.

Nemesio

P.S., If you decide you want to answer my questions, they were:

1) If I didn't observe the sun's rising yesterday, is it a fact or not?
2) Is it a fact that Pluto went around the Sun 200 years ago (before
we knew about its existence)?

l

London

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by Nemesio

Nemesio

1) If I didn't observe the sun's rising yesterday, is ...[text shortened]... Is it a fact that Pluto went around the Sun 200 years ago (before
If a branch falls in the woods, does it produce a noise? 😉

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
If a branch falls in the woods, does it produce a noise? 😉
If I hit Lucifer on the head with a hammer, does it hurt?

Grr...😠

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
09 May 05

God exists is a fact. The question is what defintion of God is true.
Do I need to comment?

"A scientific FACT is something that can be observed by scientific experimentation" .... Colletti

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
Your facts either stand or fall on themselves, not on what others
believe about other topics. If you believe the list of facts given
earlier prove them, if they are facts it shouldn't be to hard.
Kelly
Please go read an 8th grade Physical Science book and it will explain to you the facts about the physical characteristics of the earth and why it must be of extreme age i.e. in the neighborhood of 3.6 billion years. I will explain it to my three year old grandson if he asks me, but a grown man should be able to do his own rudimentary research. If you insist on being a fool who believes the Earth is 6,000 years old and that all the species of animals strolled on to the Ark for a world wide flood that never happened in the last few thousand years, that's your affair but don't pretend you are rational. It would help if you simply dressed up with a red nose and big floppy shoes so we can laugh at something besides your ridiculous beliefs.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
09 May 05

If I hit Lucifer on the head with a hammer, does it hurt?

Grr...😠
does it make a hollow sound?

a

Meddling with things

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
does it make a hollow sound?
Has anyone asked the question about whether the pope is a catholic? Give us a shout when they do, I think I know the answer to that

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
Has anyone asked the question about whether the pope is a catholic? Give us a shout when they do, I think I know the answer to that
I asked dat once and a penguin whacked my knuckles wid a yardstick

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
10 May 05

Nemesio

1) If I didn't observe the sun's rising yesterday, is ...[text shortened]... Is it a fact that Pluto went around the Sun 200 years ago (before
I answered your questions but your not listening.

1) It is a fact - and your personal observation does not change that.
2) It is a fact that Pluto goes around the sun. Unless you can prove it did 200 years before it was observed - it is technically not a fact. If you can prove it did, then it is a fact.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 May 05

I answered your questions but your not listening.

1) It is a fact - and your personal observation does not change that.
2) It is a fact that Pluto goes around the sun. Unless you can prove it did 200 years before it was observed - it is technically not a fact. If you can prove it did, then it is a fact.
What makes (1) a fact?

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
10 May 05

Originally posted by bbarr
This makes no sense. Facts are ways the world is, they are states of affairs that obtain, they are that which make true propositions true and to which true declarative sentences refer. The question is not how we ought to define 'God'. The question is given some definition of 'God', does the term 'God' refers to something actual, or is the proposition 'God exists' true, or is it a fact that God exists.
Scientific facts are a subset of true knowledge. Not all truths are known (measured or observed). Not all truths are provable. Scientific facts are empirical, not all truth is empirical.

Not all scientific facts are necessarily true. That would require 100% reliable perceptions. Perceptions have been wrong - thus a previously considered true scientific fact can later become false.

R
Track drifter ®

Hoopnholler, MN

Moves
10 May 05

Nemesio

You are a wad Nemesis,

The sun may very well come up tomorrow, but then again no one can predict the future. It is ridiculousness to demand it.

You know God is not a fact but faith. It is to be proven in the future. It is a shame what you have become.

RTh