1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Sep '07 23:531 edit
    Here's a list of Biblical references to cannibalism:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/cannibalism.html

Zechariah 11:9 seems to be God ordering people he doesn't like to be cannibals, for example.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 00:052 edits
    John 6

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 00:241 edit
    I'm sure I've heard of people in some places eating other people or animals to absorb their strength and power...

Most agree that the consumption of particular portions or organs was a ritual means by which certain qualities of the person eaten might be obtained or by which powers of witchcraft and sorcery might be exercised.

http://www.answers.com/topic/cannibalism

Sorcery like...I dunno...raising spirits from the dead?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 00:313 edits
    Endocannibalism (from Greek Endo- "internal" or "from within" and Cannibalism), as opposed to Exocannibalism is the term which describes the practice of eating the flesh (or other body parts) of members of one's own culture, tribe or social group; The rationale for such practices is usually that in consuming parts of the body or the body itself, the person absorbs or somehow 'takes in' the characteristics of the deceased; or that through eating human flesh there is a regeneration of life after death, (life being associated with flesh), Incorporation of the spirit of the dead into living descendants, or insurance the separation of the soul from the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannibalism
  5. Going where needed.
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 01:161 edit
    Listen, if you want to interpret the Bible just on face value, then I'll let you say that Jesus was a cannibal.

But you must realize that

NOT ALL OF THE BIBLE IS EXACTLY LITERAL!!!!

John 2:19

Jesus said that he would raise the temple that would be torn down in three days.

He was speaking of his body, not the actual temple.

John 20:19-31
    How else did Jesus come back from the dead? If his disciples ate him, and even if he came back in spirit, how could Doubting THomas touch the nail markings in his hands and his feet, and the spear mark in his side?

Thomas physically touched Jesus' markings and scars from the nails on the cross. Tell me, if his disciples ate of his flesh, how did he rise again in a physical body?
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 01:202 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    John 6

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, ve ...[text shortened]... g Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
    You asked me about how Muslims takes this scriptures:

We don't believe that Jesus ever said that, because we don't believe GOD will accept or request human sacrifice, and we are not cannibals to eat blood and flesh of any human.

The gosbel of John is written 60 years after Jesus was raisen. And no one knows who wrote it (Yes it was written that John wrote it, but there is no prove of that), so I can't accept it as a word of GOD even if it includes a shade of truth.

EDIT: Christians in Egypt really believe that they eat the flesh of Jesus , and drink his blood during the Eucharist.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 01:262 edits
    Originally posted by EinsteinMind
    Listen, if you want to interpret the Bible just on face value, then I'll let you say that Jesus was a cannibal.

But you must realize that

NOT ALL OF THE BIBLE IS EXACTLY LITERAL!!!!

John 2:19

Jesus said that he would raise the temple that would be torn down in three days.

He was speaking of his body, not the actual temple.

John 20:19 e cross. Tell me, if his disciples ate of his flesh, how did he rise again in a physical body?
    In John 2:19, there is an explicit disclaimer which specifies exactly what Jesus meant. In the absence of such a disclaimer I don't think it's unreasonable to take his statements at face value.

John 20:14 makes it clear that "Jesus" didn't look like himself after he "rose from the dead". Mary Magdaline didn't recognize him. Maybe it wasn't really Jesus.

The fact that he told people not to touch him after he rose except for this specific incident suggests there may have been trickery involved. Illusionists can do some amazing things.

However your argument does have merit. I can't challenge it any better than that.

How come Doubting Thomas was given special treatment when he doubted while the rest of us are supposed to simply have faith? Jesus went to a lot of trouble to prove his identity to that one skeptic, but he won't do it for the rest of us.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 01:27
    Originally posted by ahosyney

You don't believe that Jesus ever said that, because we don't believe GOD will accept or request human sacrifice, and we are not cannibals to eat blood and flesh of any human.

The gosbel of John is written 60 years after Jesus was raisen. And no one knows who wrote it (Yes it was written that John ...[text shortened]... t really believe that they eat the flesh of Jesus , and drink his blood during the Eucharist.
    Thanks.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 03:27
    Originally posted by ahosyney

We don't believe that Jesus ever said that, because we don't believe GOD will accept or request human sacrifice, and we are not cannibals to eat blood and flesh of any human.

The gosbel of John is written 60 years after Jesus was raisen. And no one knows who wrote it (Yes it was written that John w ...[text shortened]... t really believe that they eat the flesh of Jesus , and drink his blood during the Eucharist.
    It seems you reject this claim that Jesus said a specific phrase because God wouldn't let Jesus say that, or that Jesus wouldn't say it. Where does this knowledge of yours come from?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 03:321 edit
    It seems you reject this claim that Jesus said a specific phrase because God wouldn't let Jesus say that, or that Jesus wouldn't say it. Where does this knowledge of yours come from?
    Mohammad perhaps? It's just a crazy guess.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 04:17
    The GOD I believe in said he will forgive who ever ask forgivness.

--
    (Nobel-Translation)(Al-Baqarah)(o 186 o)(186. And when My slaves ask you -O Muhammad - concerning Me, then -answer them-, I am indeed near -to them by My Knowledge-. I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me -without any mediator or intercessor-. So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright.)
    --
    (Nobel-Translation)(Az-Zumar)(o 53 o)(53. Say: "O 'Ibâdî -My slaves- who have transgressed against themselves -by committing evil deeds and sins-! Despair not of the Mercy of Allâh, verily Allâh forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.)

--
    And he don't need any sacrifice from any type (He will not benifit from it). And of course he don't accept human sacrifice.

--
    (Nobel-Translation)(Al-Hajj)(o 37 o)(37. It is neither their meat nor their blood that reaches Allâh, but it is piety from you that reaches Him. Thus have We made them subject to you that you may magnify Allâh for His Guidance to you. And give glad tidings -O Muhammad - to the Muhsinûn -doers of good-.)
    --

So when someone wants to tell me that the only way to gain forgivness is that GOD sacrifices his son (who is himself GOD) to GOD , and to became a cannibal (eating this son's flesh and drink his blood), then I will not accept it.

----

Talking about the Bible, for me I don't believe in any part of it at all. Nonthing in the Bible is the word of Jesus or GOD.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 06:541 edit
    Talking about the Bible, for me I don't believe in any part of it at all. Nonthing in the Bible is the word of Jesus or GOD.

Neither do I, but I consider it a useful text for historical reasons. That doesn't mean I treat it as if it had perfect historical accuracy, but more as a source to be read critically.

I am interested in the Quran for the same reason.

What parts of it refer to Jesus?
  13. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 08:031 edit
    If he had not come to abolish the Law, then he agreed with it.

If you choose to interpret Biblical passages as meaning something other than what they actually say then there's not much for us to talk about.

You must really NEED to believe that Christianity is all happiness and goodness. The culture was obviously quite preoccupied with blood sac ...[text shortened]... easonable explanation for the disappearing of his body! He did tell his disciples to eat him...
    but when Jesus refers to cannibalism it must be metaphorical, eh? Otherwise Christianity is a lot darker than most Christians want to believe... THOUSAND

...When did Jesus ever ask anyone to actually eat parts of his flesh? What evidence is there of anyone actually eating him or being encouraged to physically eat him? None. His statements are obviously metaphors when taken in context with his statements on the Holy Spirit.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 11:08
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    but when Jesus refers to cannibalism it must be metaphorical, eh? Otherwise Christianity is a lot darker than most Christians want to believe... THOUSAND

...When did Jesus ever ask anyone to actually eat parts of his flesh? What evidence is there of anyone actually eating him or being encouraged to physically eat him? None. His statements are obviously metaphors when taken in context with his statements on the Holy Spirit.
    I just showed you when Jesus actually asked his disciples to eat his flesh. Are you reading this thread? John something.
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 12:08
    Originally posted by knightmeister

What evidence is there of anyone actually eating him or being encouraged to physically eat him? None.

aboviouslay you are incorrect, and you just guess. I know for sure that the Egyptian Church believe that they really eat Jesus Flesh and Drink his blood when ther do the Eucharist.

In Eucharist ,if you don't know, the preast, or the parson , cooks some bread, and with some wine they read some words (may be John 6.51-57 I don't know) , then they believe these words magicly convert the bread and wine into flesh and blood. Then they encourage the Church congregation to eat the magicly converted flesh and blood.

I don't know if there is any other church do the same. But I think all the orthodox churches and catholic churches believe the same, they really eat the flesh and blood of Jesus and enourage their followers to do the same.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree