This forum is a joke

This forum is a joke

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jul 17

Originally posted by @fabianfnas
The bible is compiled for those who like cherry-picking.
Whatever you believe, you will find the support for this in the bible. Somewhere.
Whatever you believe, you will find the support for this in the bible. Somewhere.

That's funny. There are a whole lot of things that I would have been glad to say that the Bible teaches me. I couldn't find it.

l

Moves
22 Jul 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
"...the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage."

But we are discussing those already married, before the resurrection. Where is your scripture to say this marriage won't endure?
I once read an article on marriage in heaven, there will not be any. Marriage to each other in heaven would be analogous to a baby wanting it's pacifier.

There is the bride and the groom only, the church and Christ, not marriage of people amongst themselves.

For the love that people will be experiencing, it would be selfish to even think about wanting to bottle it up and to have our own. Something to ponder, food for thought.

F

Moves
22 Jul 17

Originally posted by @leunammi
Marriage to each other in heaven would be analogous to a baby wanting it's pacifier.
My marriage ~ and my relationship with my spouse ~ is nothing even remotely like "a baby wanting its pacifier". What is it about your notion of heaven that makes you think this analogy would apply?

l

Moves
22 Jul 17

Originally posted by @fmf
My marriage ~ and my relationship with my spouse ~ is nothing even remotely like "a baby wanting its pacifier". What is it about your notion of heaven that makes you think this analogy would apply?
First a little sarcasm; You make a big deal of posters when reading the points and comprehension of posts and getting it wrong when responding, I am a little surprised by your response. You missed the point.

Answer: I only stated some information about an article that I read about marriage in heaven, not marriage here on earth. I am sure if you say your marriage to your spouse "is nothing even remotely like "a baby wanting its pacifier"", there is validity to that, far be it from me to question it, I never would anyways.

How a marriage on earth ought to be is often compared to Jesus (as the bridegroom) and the bride (the church).

Ephesians 5:22-32 New King James Version (NKJV)

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.

It is at this point that women in general get their dander up, and rightly so. When we are taught about marriage and the roles of husbands and wives, this scripture is presented as a role to follow. However and more importantly, if we continue on with a few more verses it is the husband that the submitting and serving really falls on in a marriage and women should relax.

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Marriage is about love (sex also), but at it's core it is about love. Sex is for the purpose of procreation to carry the human race forward. In heaven, and I kinda agree that the love experienced on earth in a loving marriage will pale in comparison to the love experienced there, thus the comment of wanting to be married (to another person) in heaven is like "a baby wanting its pacifier" vs. the love of God.

Imagine the Love of God for people, that he would leave is throne, come to earth, die, rise so that we have a way back to him. If you think about it, 'no greater love'. Chew on that for awhile.

Anyways, it's just an article I read that I thought was interesting, and about right.

F

Moves
22 Jul 17
1 edit

In heaven, and I kinda agree that the love experienced on earth in a loving marriage will pale in comparison to the love experienced there, thus the comment of wanting to be married (to another person) in heaven is like "a baby wanting its pacifier" vs. the love of God.
What is it about your notion of heaven that means you feel the need to frame marriage to someone you love as being in competition with - or in comparison to - the supposed love of/for your god figure?

F

Moves
22 Jul 17

Imagine the Love of God for people, that he would leave is throne, come to earth, die, rise so that we have a way back to him. If you think about it, 'no greater love'. Chew on that for awhile.
You haven't really given me anything to chew on. What does this have to do with the bond between two married people?

F

Moves
22 Jul 17

Ephesians 5:22-32 New King James Version (NKJV)

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.[/i]

It is at this point that women in general get their dander up, and rightly so. When we are taught about marriage and the roles of husbands and wives, this scripture is presented as a role to follow. However and more importantly, if we continue on with a few more verses it is the husband that the submitting and serving really falls on in a marriage and women should relax.

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

My question was about your notion of heaven, so a long copy paste that isn't about heaven doesn't answer it.

F

Moves
22 Jul 17

First a little sarcasm; You make a big deal of posters when reading the points and comprehension of posts and getting it wrong when responding, I am a little surprised by your response. You missed the point.
On the contrary. I am focusing exactly on a point arising from what you posted that I am interested in.

l

Moves
22 Jul 17

What is it about your notion of heaven that means you feel the need to frame marriage to someone you love as being in competition with - or in comparison to - the supposed love of/for your god figure?
Did you miss my point again?

I am not framing anything and I am not setting forth a competition, those are your words trying to fit them into my mouth.

Do you feel that the example of love in a marriage between a man and wife as illustrated in Ephesians 5:22-32 (Christ loves the church) is less than in any way than that of a perfect love relationship? Or how a marriage should be? If so, how so?

The love that Jesus has for the church (husband for his wife) should be exemplified in how a man loves his wife (in marriage) here on earth.

Do you understand what I am driving at?

F

Moves
22 Jul 17

Did you miss my point again?

I am not framing anything and I am not setting forth a competition, those are your words trying to fit them into my mouth.
I am not missing the point. The point is mine, and it is contained in my comments and questions.

You used the "versus". That's a competition word, isn't it? You used the word "comparison" too, I didn't put that word in your mouth. You said:

"a loving marriage will pale in comparison to the love experienced there"

This is the part of what you said that I am referring to:

"...the love experienced on earth in a loving marriage will pale in comparison to the love experienced there, thus the comment of wanting to be married (to another person) in heaven is like "a baby wanting its pacifier" vs. the love of God."

F

Moves
22 Jul 17

Do you feel that the example of love in a marriage between a man and wife as illustrated in Ephesians 5:22-32 (Christ loves the church) is less than in any way than that of a perfect love relationship? Or how a marriage should be? If so, how so?
I am asking about your notion of heaven and why you believe heaven will negate or make obsolete the bond between a married couple.

l

Moves
22 Jul 17

I am not missing the point. The point is mine, and it is contained in my comments and questions.

You used the "versus". That's a competition word, isn't it? You used the word "comparison" too, I didn't put that word in your mouth. You said:

"a loving marriage will pale in comparison to the love experienced there"

This is the part of what you said that ...[text shortened]... arried (to another person) in heaven is like "a baby wanting its pacifier" vs. the love of God."
It is not a competition, it is an example.

F

Moves
22 Jul 17

The love that Jesus has for the church (husband for his wife) should be exemplified in how a man loves his wife (in marriage) here on earth.

Do you understand what I am driving at?
I am asking about your notion of heaven, and its effect on a marriage (assuming both spouses go to heaven), not about "marriage here on earth".

F

Moves
22 Jul 17

It is not a competition, it is an example.
You said "to be married (to another person) in heaven is like a baby wanting its pacifier vs. the love of God."

Does "vs" not mean "versus" then?

F

Moves
22 Jul 17

I kinda agree that the love experienced on earth in a loving marriage will pale in comparison to the love experienced there [in heaven]"
Let me try again. Look at your words of yours hat I have quoted above. Why are you comparing marriage to someone you love to the love of or for your god figure? What does it matter if one "pales in comparison" to the other? Why does there only have to be one and not the other?