1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 01:33
    Originally posted by bbarr
    It bothers him for the same reason you'd be bothered if you thought that you were truly known by nobody.
    Of course, I was merely sniping, I remember feeling this way on more than one occasion.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 01:331 edit
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    It bothers me because it often requires effort to 'make conversation', and it frequently seems that neither participant does the other justice in these circumstances.
    Wanna meet up this weekend and let me prove you wrong?
  3. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 01:35
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Wanna meet up this weekend and let me prove you wrong?
    Totes -- say when because I bet you're busier than I -- but it wouldn't count as 'making conversation' in the way I meant it, because I don't see you as a 'circumstance person'.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 01:371 edit
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Totes -- say when because I bet you're busier than I -- but it wouldn't count as 'making conversation' in the way I meant it, because I don't see you as a 'circumstance person'.
    I'll PM you something tomorrow, off to bed now.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 02:361 edit
    Awwwww!

Now if that's not spiritual, I don't know what is.
  6. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 03:06
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    One would find it much easier to be polite if my opponents would actually listen, think and use logic. For example, in the Natural selection forum we're currently talking about radioisotope dating. Despite several articles explaining the subject being shot over the the creationist lobby, they refuse to read them, think logically about them, or listen ...[text shortened]... n when they've been refuted already. We get STANG banned for spamming, why not dj2becker too?
    I feel the same way about skeptics.
    They claim there's no evidence of God, and yet they dimiss anything that isn't scientific evidence of Him, while admitting that God is outside the realm of science. How I wish they would listen, think, and use logic on the topic of God just as they do on the topic of science.

DF
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 03:22
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    I feel the same way about skeptics.
    They claim there's no evidence of God, and yet they dimiss anything that isn't scientific evidence of Him, while admitting that God is outside the realm of science. How I wish they would listen, think, and use logic on the topic of God just as they do on the topic of science.

DF
    Hey, I'm quite willing to say that we cannot disprove god, provided I'm allowed to attach the addendum that there is no evidence either for or against god. At that point, I appeal to parsimony, and say the simplest explanation is the absence of god (because a belief in god necessitates a belief in things that cannot be seen, felt, touched, tasted or measured in any way).
  8. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 03:52
    Hey, I'm quite willing to say that we cannot disprove god, provided I'm allowed to attach the addendum that there is no evidence either for or against god. At that point, I appeal to parsimony, and say the simplest explanation is the absence of god (because a belief in god necessitates a belief in things that cannot be seen, felt, touched, tasted or measured in any way).
    You should change your addendum to say "no scientific evidence". Science measures nature. God is supernatural. Therefore, science will never discover God. But there's more to life than nature.

I have felt the touch of God. I hear Him speak frequently. And I've had visions from Him. But on a couple of things you are right, I have not tasted nor measured my God.

DF
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 04:18
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    You should change your addendum to say "no scientific evidence". Science measures nature. God is supernatural. Therefore, science will never discover God. But there's more to life than nature.

I have felt the touch of God. I hear Him speak frequently. And I've had visions from Him. But on a couple of things you are right, I have not tasted nor measured my God.

DF
    Fair enough. I won't say there is no God, and you chaps can just keep out of the science then.
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 05:53
    I won't say there is no God, and you chaps can just keep out of the science then.
    Say that to Rutherford, Bacon, Kepler, Newton and Einstein. Do you think religion and science are mutualy exclusive?
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 06:41
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Say that to Rutherford, Bacon, Kepler, Newton and Einstein. Do you think religion and science are mutualy exclusive?
    Well, apparently one is the study of the realm of all things religious, which apparently is completely separate from the natural world and it's laws (which science investigates).

The people that you have mentioned lived in different times, when science and religion were seen as exactly, precisely the same thing. Apparently that's no longer the case as science continues to undermine the bibles authority on the way the world works.

Don't forget that Newton spent most of his life trying to turn lead into gold.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 06:49
    One would find it much easier to be polite if my opponents would actually listen, think and use logic. For example, in the Natural selection forum we're currently talking about radioisotope dating. Despite several articles explaining the subject being shot over the the creationist lobby, they refuse to read them, think logically about them, or listen ...[text shortened]... n when they've been refuted already. We get STANG banned for spamming, why not dj2becker too?
    I do have to admit that we (from the science side of the debate) have mostly refused to buy and use those secret decoder rings. And we have also refused to accept Jesus Christ as our personal saviour - a definate prerequisite to understanding anything in the Bible.

However when it comes to science I still see no reason why a Christian should refuse to learn at least a little about basic nuclear physics such as half-lifes of isotopes. If thier claim is correct that the science surrounding that is wrong then we should be very worried because even minor mistakes will result in nuclear power stations either not working or exploding unexpectedly.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 07:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I do have to admit that we (from the science side of the debate) have mostly refused to buy and use those secret decoder rings. And we have also refused to accept Jesus Christ as our personal saviour - a definate prerequisite to understanding anything in the Bible.

However when it comes to science I still see no reason why a Christian should refuse to ...[text shortened]... nor mistakes will result in nuclear power stations either not working or exploding unexpectedly.
    Yes, I agree.

I do wonder that whilst the Christian science fraternity always tell us that our science is wrong, they seem completely incapable of actually pointing out in a logical coherent way exactly why our [wrong, incorrect] science is so good at producing things that actually work.
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 07:08

I do wonder that whilst the Christian science fraternity always tell us that our science is wrong, they seem completely incapable of actually pointing out in a logical coherent way exactly why our [wrong, incorrect] science is so good at producing things that actually work.
    Providence?
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 08:04
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Providence?
    I'm not sure whether you mean we're frugal with our resources, or we're being shown the way by god, and thus decieved (into thinking he doesn't exist) by the miserable deciever.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree