1. An' it harms none...
    Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    12328
    28 Jun '05 14:23
    "Going to church doesn't make you a christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car"

    Author unknown
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Joined
    13 Aug '03
    Moves
    21735
    28 Jun '05 15:50
    Originally posted by catfoodtim
    I concur.

    3 days of standing in my father's garage in the vain hope of becoming a 1979 Austin Allegro certainly proved to me that God doesn't hang around in garages.

    There's no room in Christianity for spark plugs I'm telling you.

    Though interestingly enough I did once go to Church in a car. Does that make me a Christian?

    Maybe you are a Chrysler.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    28 Jun '05 19:19
    Originally posted by dags
    "Going to church doesn't make you a christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car"

    Author unknown
    very true, as evidenced by the fact that i attend church services regularly. i also read the bible quite a bit, and as a matter of fact, the DVD currently sitting in my play station 2 is The Greatest Story Ever Told, one of my favorite movies. i also go out of my way to read books that describe and expound upon the christian faith.

    truly, a necessary condition for being a christian is not an open mind, but rather faith.
  4. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Joined
    27 Aug '03
    Moves
    10619
    29 Jun '05 15:50
    Originally posted by dags
    "Going to church doesn't make you a christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car"

    Author unknown
    Is the opposite true? Does not going to church make you not a Christian?
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    29 Jun '05 16:012 edits
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    Is the opposite true? Does not going to church make you not a Christian?
    Not going to church doesn't not make you a christian any less than not standing in a garage doesn't not make you not a car.
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Joined
    09 Sep '04
    Moves
    59422
    29 Jun '05 16:35
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Not going to church doesn't not make you a christian any less than not standing in a garage doesn't make you a car.
    Shouldn't that be "doesn't make you NOT a car"?

    Just thinking out loud.
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    29 Jun '05 16:37
    Yes you are right. It's corrected.
  8. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    29 Jun '05 16:43
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Yes you are right. It's corrected.
    It's true either way, though, because not standing in a garage neither makes you a car nor makes you not a car.

    Not going to church doesn't make you not a rubber duck any less than not standing in a garage doesn't make you not a satanist.
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    29 Jun '05 16:44
    All I know is the number of negatives in my sentence confused the hell out of me.
  10. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    29 Jun '05 16:52
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    All I know is the number of negatives in my sentence confused the hell out of me.
    Are you still the Antichrist, now that the hell has been confused out of you?
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    29 Jun '05 17:06
    You can take the hell out the antichrist but you can't take the antichrist out of hell.

    Well that's backwards but you get the idea.
  12. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Joined
    14 May '05
    Moves
    4174
    30 Jun '05 15:47
    Originally posted by dags
    "Going to church doesn't make you a christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car"

    Author unknown
    being a christian has alot more to it than going to church. there are more criteria, just like being a car requires more criteria than just standing in a garage. does it make it any less of a car if its outside the garage? Its a car in whatever setting. so a christian should be a christian in any setting. it SHOULD be a way of life.
  13. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    13395
    30 Jun '05 18:22
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    It's true either way, though, because not standing in a garage neither makes you a car nor makes you not a car.

    Not going to church doesn't make you not a rubber duck any less than not standing in a garage doesn't make you not a satanist.
    I went to Jiffy Lube and asked the guy to change my oil . When he realized I was not a car , and thought about the implications of what I was asking , he took a swing at me .

    After what happened trying to fill up with gas at the Shell station , I don't think I can go back there either .
  14. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    30 Jun '05 20:23
    Originally posted by catfoodtim
    Nordlys, that has to be one of the most profound things i have ever heard, seriously. Would you mind if I used that quote please and thank you?
    Go ahead and use the quote, but on your own responsibility. 😉 Oh, and you should give some credit to Coletti, too. I would never have found this profound truth without him.
  15. An' it harms none...
    Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    12328
    01 Jul '05 13:30
    Originally posted by dale21
    being a christian has alot more to it than going to church. there are more criteria, just like being a car requires more criteria than just standing in a garage. does it make it any less of a car if its outside the garage? Its a car in whatever setting. so a christian should be a christian in any setting. it SHOULD be a way of life.
    I know this but many people I know, who call themself "christian", who go to church all the time, don't behave like they should (breaking their commandments etc). That was what I was trying to get across.
Back to Top