1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 16:29
    Thoughts and prayers go to those hit by that earth quake and the tsunami. May
    God help us do what we can in our efforts to do all the things that need done.
    Kelly
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 18:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    Yep.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 18:54
    Kelly
    Why didn't god prevent the earthquake? If god is all-loving, then why are there earthquakes at all?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 18:56
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Why didn't god prevent the earthquake? If god is all-loving, then why are there earthquakes at all?
    Because God isn't "all loving". The God you are thinking of is the one your Mum told about just before she read you bedtime stories. Look again.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 19:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Because God isn't "all loving". The God you are thinking of is the one your Mum told about just before she read you bedtime stories. Look again.
    Ah, now we're getting somewhere. A forthright admission that god does, in fact, lack one of the three 'omni' attributes. It always seems that its omnibenevolence that gets pitched out in order to overcome the problem of evil. I guess its easier to imagine a god that is not all loving than it is for a god who is not all powerful or all knowing. But if god is not all loving, is he worth worshiping? Or should he just be feared and propitiated?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 19:25
    Cursed earth
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 19:26
    Ah, now we're getting somewhere. A forthright admission that god does, in fact, lack one of the three 'omni' attributes. It always seems that its omnibenevolence that gets pitched out in order to overcome the problem of evil. I guess its easier to imagine a god that is not all loving than it is for a god who is not all powerful or all knowing. But if god is not all loving, is he worth worshiping? Or should he just be feared and propitiated?
    Amazing even in something I thought at least in spirit we could agree on you want
    to turn this into a hateful God thread as if there are not enough of those.
    Kelly
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 19:37
    What attributes? Who's attributes? Yours?

God is the avenger, the deliverer of justice, the one to be feared and of whom "it is a terrible thing to fall into his hands". It is his creation, you are his creation and you are his to do with as he pleases.

What God are you thinking of?
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 20:081 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What attributes? Who's attributes? Yours?

God is the avenger, the deliverer of justice, the one to be feared and of whom "it is a terrible thing to fall into his hands". It is his creation, you are his creation and you are his to do with as he pleases.

What God are you thinking of?
    This doesn't apply to me though - I was created by my mum and dad; and they weren't so mean as this God character you're talking about here! :]
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 20:14
    Originally posted by Agerg
    This doesn't apply to me though - I was created by my mum and dad; and they weren't so mean as this God character you're talking about here! :]
    Me too.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 20:18
    Amazing even in something I thought at least in spirit we could agree on you want
    to turn this into a hateful God thread as if there are not enough of those.
    Kelly
    I think we all wish the best for those who have survived and morn those who have died. But the fact that you as a Christian does, and the way you expressed it, raises many philosophical or theological questions.

When you say "May God help us..." are you asking God to help us? If so, why tell us not God directly? Are you encouraging us to ask God to help us? Are you merely suggesting it to the universe to encourage God to help us?
    If you don't say it, is God less likely to help us?
    Or is it equivalent to 'good wishes' as in "may you live long and prosper"?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 20:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think we all wish the best for those who have survived and morn those who have died. But the fact that you as a Christian does, and the way you expressed it, raises many philosophical or theological questions.

When you say "May God help us..." are you asking God to help us? If so, why tell us not God directly? Are you encouraging us to ask God to hel ...[text shortened]... to help us?
    Good point (not to detract from Kelly's well meaning and sincere sentiment). We all want to express our grief and compassion; but belief in God is not a requirement for that. I think Kelly is speaking in "General" terms, framed in Christian reference.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 21:35
    Cursed earth
    Kelly
    Evolving Earth
    Charlie
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 22:17
    Benevolence is not negated when "bad" things are allowed to happen. Of course, this would mean that God has "chosen" to relinquish some of his power via free will.

Your question about God letting the earthquake reminds me of a story in the OT. The people of Israel wanted a king so they could be like all the other nations. However, God said that this was a rejection of him and warned the people about all of the coming abuses that sinful man would cause the people whom they ruled and reigned over. The prophet Samuel then relayed the message to the people, however, they would not be swayed and demanded a king. So God gave them what they wanted. In addition, he said that when they call to him in their distress he would not hear them.

And so it goes. We live our lives apart from God without consulting him and even openly defying what he has warned us about. Then when we run to him when it all blows up in our faces we expect him to make everything right again in the blink of an eye. All I can say is that things will be made right again, but it won't be in a blink of an eye. There are yet lessons to be learned I suppose.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 22:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead

When you say "May God help us..." are you asking God to help us? If so, why tell us not God directly? Are you encouraging us to ask God to hel ...[text shortened]... to help us?
    Yea, good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good ones so you
    and others don't understand that so God is evil? If you want to have that discussion
    have it in another thread, why drag that into this one?
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree