1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 03:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Read the book. Look it up, actually read something besides your vaunted bible. It turns out some stories are actually just made up by men who want to continue their power trip. You should also read about Horus and Osiris of ancient Egypt and see the similarities in the Jesus myth and the ancient gods there. Christianity is a paved over recreation of a much ...[text shortened]... thoroughly with Christianity you wouldn't know the real truth if JC came to you in the Tartus.
    ummm, except that of course Horus was similar to Christ in that they both had heads like falcons, their left eye being the sun and their right eye being the moon,????
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 03:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ummm, except that of course Horus was similar to Christ in that they both had heads like falcons, their left eye being the sun and their right eye being the moon,????
    And of course god or God however you want to say it, is a great big pissed off dude with a huge white beard ready to strike down any unbeliever. Great role model there.
  3. Joined
    01 Dec '07
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 03:40
    And of course god or God however you want to say it, is a great big pissed off dude with a huge white beard ready to strike down any unbeliever. Great role model there.
    excellent point dude
  4. Break-twitching
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 06:53
    Read the book. Look it up, actually read something besides your vaunted bible. It turns out some stories are actually just made up by men who want to continue their power trip. You should also read about Horus and Osiris of ancient Egypt and see the similarities in the Jesus myth and the ancient gods there. Christianity is a paved over recreation of a much ...[text shortened]... thoroughly with Christianity you wouldn't know the real truth if JC came to you in the Tartus.
    I'm sorry that you had to wear out your fingers typing that garbage. Keep reading those fairy tales and you might just become a Scientologist.🙄
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 08:45
    Originally posted by duecer
    without the ressurection Christianity is pointless
    I would resoundly disagree with this assertion.

There is a great deal in the teachings of Jesus that are helpful in getting along with other people and in finding covenant with God, things that have absolutely nothing to do with whether he rose from the dead or not.

If he rose from the dead, big deal; I wasn't there and it doesn't affect me. What has affected me is in gaining insight into his teachings and examples. That understanding has helped be to improve myself. He could die a thousand deaths and be raised a thousand times but if I haven't understood the message then his exercise is pointless.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 10:11
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I would resoundly disagree with this assertion.

There is a great deal in the teachings of Jesus that are helpful in getting along with other people and in finding covenant with God, things that have absolutely nothing to do with whether he rose from the dead or not.
    But that is the teachings of Jesus - or possibly of people who attributed them to Jesus. Not quite the same as Christianity.
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 11:06
    He is Risen!
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 14:40
    Originally posted by dystoniac
    I'm sorry that you had to wear out your fingers typing that garbage. Keep reading those fairy tales and you might just become a Scientologist.🙄
    What else is a nonbeliever suppose to do? They are faced with a religion based upon a miraculous event that others witnessed and subsequently spread across the world. In fact, they willingly gave up their lives for what they witnessed. So the only logical conclusion is that it was all a hoax of some kind. Of course, leave out the whole message and example Christ gave to his disciples about self sacrifice and personal morality and what you get is a charlatan who did not practice what he preached. LOL.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 16:16
    Originally posted by duecer
    He is Risen!
    you make him sound like a fairy cake!, please!
  10. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 18:36
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But that is the teachings of Jesus - or possibly of people who attributed them to Jesus. Not quite the same as Christianity.
    But it is; it is not enough to believe that Jesus rose from the dead and be Christian (although admittedly far too many call themselves Christian in error) - one must understand and practice his teachings or be lost. My assertion still stands.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 19:101 edit
    Originally posted by Badwater
    But it is; it is not enough to believe that Jesus rose from the dead and be Christian (although admittedly far too many call themselves Christian in error) - one must understand and practice his teachings or be lost. My assertion still stands.
    I may have misunderstood you. You appeared to be saying that Jesus' teachings are more important in Christianity than his resurrection. Is that your assertion? Or is it your assertion just that Jesus' teachings were important? If it is the latter then I see nothing wrong with the statement that Christianity without the resurrection would not be Christianity whether one could call it pointless would depend I suppose on what you feel the point of Christianity is.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 19:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    So the only logical conclusion is that it was all a hoax of some kind.
    You have such a limited imagination - or you are going for the old strawman argument. Non-Christians have many hypothesis about what really happened (or did not happen) and I suspect that 'a hoax' would not accurately describe most of the most popular ones. I certainly wouldn't describe any of my own hypothesis that way.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 19:363 edits
    You have such a limited imagination - or you are going for the old strawman argument. Non-Christians have many hypothesis about what really happened (or did not happen) and I suspect that 'a hoax' would not accurately describe most of the most popular ones. I certainly wouldn't describe any of my own hypothesis that way.
    But when it is all said and done, is that not what is being presented if not true? HIs disciples went off to proclaim the gospel we have today. The question is, why? To what personal benefit if they did not believe what they were preaching? After all, they paid for it with their lives excpet for one. And if they believed what they were preaching, it makes one wonder what they saw and heard that prompted them to devote their lives to it.
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 20:08
    God is not made it breaks His heart that we sin and do evil.
  15. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 21:05
    I may have misunderstood you. You appeared to be saying that Jesus' teachings are more important in Christianity than his resurrection. Is that your assertion? Or is it your assertion just that Jesus' teachings were important? If it is the latter then I see nothing wrong with the statement that Christianity without the resurrection would not be Christiani ...[text shortened]... could call it pointless would depend I suppose on what you feel the point of Christianity is.
    For me, the teachings and example of Jesus are more important than whether he rose from the dead or not. Obviously, most (not all) of Christianity does not see it that way, but Christianity seems to place a lot of importance on odd things.

You are quite right in saying "...I see nothing wrong with the statement that Christianity without the resurrection would not be Christianity whether one could call it pointless would depend I suppose on what you feel the point of Christianity is." What I think is important is admittedly at odd with the majority of Christians.

Also, I was responding to the comment that "Without the resurrection Christianity is pointless." I could not disagree more with that statement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree