Moves
    27 Oct '05 12:392 edits
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Do the fundies evey wonder whether they're

a irritating people
    b wrong.
    I might have given the title "Confessions of an ex-Fundamentalist" to:

Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Once upon a time in a college Bible study group, we were reading a book called Lifestyle Evangelism. It was written by a missionary as a rebuke of the ordinary missionary practices--the sort we performed as we "stormed the dorms" (our words). Most of my fellow readers could not see the clear and explicit rebuke of our methods, and they criticized me for becoming invloved in the college's student government because it took away from my dorm stormin' time. Rather, they saw stuff like "a call to holiness"--I kid you not.

This experience did not end my association with xtians as one of them, but it was the beginning of that end.

During that time, during one of our dorm stormin' evenings, I and my partner walked into a room full of guys in it. We felt as if we were in the Klondike and had just struck the mother lode--here were a dozen souls to save. We politely asked if they had heard the good news, or seen the bridge to life. They laughed and asked sarcastic questions, we answered politely. After a few minutes of such roundabout dialogue, we were asked to leave. After a few steps down the hall, we heard a loud voice and a door slammed. "Leave us alone," someone shouted. Unquestionably, it was a demon that had yelled at us.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 13:521 edit
    I might have given the title "Confessions of an ex-Fundamentalist" to:

[b]Once upon a time in a college Bible study group, we were reading a book called Lifestyle Evangelism. It was written by a missionary as a rebuke of the ordinary missionary practices--the sort we performed as we "stormed the dorms" (our ...[text shortened]... mmed. "Leave us alone," someone shouted. Unquestionably, it was a demon that had yelled at us.
    [/b]If I may so bold as to ask, what was it that got you disillusioned with religion?
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 13:53
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    N/M, If you only knew how many post I typed to you, and deleted before I sent it, lol
    lol,

I know what you mean. I've found that in the end I usually feel better for not having sent the ones that I delete.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 14:02
    Originally posted by telerion
    Challenges to xian evangelism belong in this forum as well.

I still wonder, do True Christians TM exist or are they just an ideal?
    What is a true Christian?
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 14:57
    Originally posted by Halitose
    If I may so bold as to ask, what was it that got you disillusioned with religion?[/b]
    I'm not disillusioned except in the most literal meaning of that term--no longer following illusions.

To answer your serious question, however, read the thread: xtians who cannot see a clear rebuke from a fellow missionary revealed to me that something was amiss.

But there was more. Over a period of several years (c. 1982-1989) every single factor that made xtianity alluring revealed itself as an illusion. Once my head became clear of these illusions, becoming disassociated from xtianity was already accomplished. There remained only the need to break one bad habit: spending Sunday mornings in church instead of the better alternatives--in bed, at breakfast with a close friend, on the golf course of river, or sitting under the cherry tree with my lit pipe. Aside from weddings, funerals, and ethnographic research, I haven't been back to church. This isn't to say that I have not prayed in accordance with my sense that a Creator exists, nor that I have failed to invest time and effort reading sacred texts.

Many of my best friends are xtians, and I respect their beliefs. However, when they spout anti-scientific rubbish, I try to set them straight. When they spout ideology that reveals gross inconsistencies in their understanding of "scripture", we argue, and I generally gain the consession that American politics is not central to the mission of Jesus in the world, and that if he were an American, the chances that he would be an unabashed Republican are slim. They usually concede this point without backing down on their opposition to abortion. If they continue to insist that, as an xtian, they must make this issue their primary political focus, we have nothing to talk about (unless they are relatives; sadly, I have such relatives).
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 15:231 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What is a true Christian?
    Kelly
    Good question.

That's what I want to know.

I can tell you that the "True Christian" TM makes an appearance, almost without exception, whenever some one points out the failings of xians, either today or in the past. Often this arises because a xian has made an unfair comparison between xianity and another religion. For example, "Christians don't fly into buildings" or "Christians don't blow themselves up" or "Christians don't believe in killing non-believers." All of these statements are intended to show the superiority of xianity to islam. When a detractor points out that the xian is trying to pass off a distortion by offering examples from the past and today of christian terrorists, the xian will fall back on the old "But those weren't True Christians! A True Christian*"

Now this is when I ask, "What is a 'True Christian'?"

Typically, I get an evangelical response, "Some who has a relationship with Jesus. Some one who really knew Jesus would never do these things."

So I had taken this to be the case, until chancremechanic stated that under no uncertain terms was he a "True Christian." His continuation implied that a "True Christian" was an infallible believer. Clearly, according to xian doctrine, this is an impossibility.

Now the True Christian TM defense is so often used that it is quite familiar to those who argue with xians. You'll find it all over IIDB and other secularist boards.

So have you encountered this term: "True Christian"?

* - True Christian is a registered trademark of some sort of xian. Exactly which sort of xian is violently disputed.
  7. Forgotten
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 17:32
    Was this in reply to my post on the first page? I can't say for sure, so I don't want to inveigh without inveiglement...
    if the shoe fits..cinderella
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:21
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    if the shoe fits..cinderella
    Okay, Dude. I refer to your latest discharge of plebeian verbiage - in which you have proven, once again, that there is no such thing as unutterable nonsense. Your post is directed - and I quote - "to all xtians(sic)". So, yes...then the shoe fits. Okay, lets go through some of your beef-witted posts one at a time:

you quote scriptures you are too dense to understand urself

Calling you dull is a major underestimation of just how tedious you are. By this you assume that you have some understanding of scripture. Please, share your hubristic knowledge. I'd love to have your input when it is being discussed, although I doubt you would have anything but vitriol, prejudice and generalisation to add.

you seem to thrive on bs but most flys do

Argumentum ad homimem ad nauseum This seems to your favourite (and only) way of bringing your putrid ideas across.

I have no beef with you personally, but I'm sick of "xtianity being stupid" heralded from the likes of you. I don't mind people attacking my belief in a rational and civil manner, but if you want to resort to childish insults and unsubstantiated generalisations, please, shove it you know where... its boring, unoriginal and hardly mature. You need to get out more and realise that Christianity is not only about your odious impressions and prejudice.

Please try to have some small idea of what in the world you're talking about - and to whom - before you try to cross me again.
  9. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:30
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    save urselves
    dont waste ur time on people that dont want to hear you innane drivel
    you quote scriptures you are too dense to understand urself
    let alone save me or anyone
    and save ur damned prayers too
    i dont need em
    Could it be one of the best ways, to avoid being offended by xtians. Is not to post or read what xtians have to say. There are those that talked the owners of this site. To move this Thread from the Debate Thread. Then you followed us to the Spirituality Thread. Could it be that some of you are searching for something? More than you have now?
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:321 edit
    Okay, Dude. I refer to your latest discharge of plebeian verbiage - in which you have proven, once again, that there is no such thing as unutterable nonsense. Your post is directed - and I quote - "to all xtians(sic)". So, yes...then the shoe fits. Okay, lets go through some of your beef-witted posts one at a time:

you quote scriptures you are too dea of what in the world you're talking about - and to whom - before you try to cross me again.
    I recced this one. I'm not overly fond of the odor that emits from the utterances of Halitose 😉, Nevertheless, these utterances are usually engaging.

Most of the time I spend in the spirituality forums is devoted to taking issue with xtians, xtianity, and some of the absurd notions profferred by many xtian adherents. But crass ad hominem attacks are neither necessary nor useful.

Engage foolish ideas, rather than attacking their messengers. Of course, a few messengers are persistent in their failure to accept elementary logic and deserve scorn. When dishing out the requisite contumelious satire, make it artful.
  11. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:33
    Originally posted by telerion
    Challenges to xian evangelism belong in this forum as well.

I still wonder, do True Christians TM exist or are they just an ideal?
    True Christians do exsist. But not by the standards of The Unbeliever.
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:45
    I'm not disillusioned except in the most literal meaning of that term--no longer following illusions.

To answer your serious question, however, read the thread: xtians who cannot see a clear rebuke from a fellow missionary revealed to me that something was amiss.

But there was more. Over a period of several years (c. 1982-1989) every single factor tha ...[text shortened]... focus, we have nothing to talk about (unless they are relatives; sadly, I have such relatives).
    The disillusionment was a pun intended. 😉

So, you kinda got tired of institutionalised religion?
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:48
    Second rec from me, Hal.
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:51
    I recced this one. I'm not overly fond of the odor that emits from the utterances of Halitose 😉, Nevertheless, these utterances are usually engaging.

Most of the time I spend in the spirituality forums is devoted to taking issue with xtians, xtianity, and some of the absurd notions profferred by many xtian adherents. But crass ad hominem attacks are nei ...[text shortened]... ary logic and deserve scorn. When dishing out the requisite contumelious satire, make it artful.
    Thanks, Wule. Would this merit the decoration Contumelious Hero, second class?
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:53
    Thanks, Wule. Would this merit the decoration Contumelious Hero, second class?
    I think that needs to be approved by the Marauder. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree