1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    21 May '13 05:272 edits
    I have become more Christian lately, I'm at the point of calling myself Christian. But I am bad at reading the bible. In the past a criticism I've had of Christians is over rating how much knowledge can be gleaned from it. Some seem to treat it like its the only book worth reading, or worse the only book of academic merit, its certainly not that.

For me I found the door was open to christianity without reading the Bible much - every time i read bits of the New Testament it reassures me that its the right choice. But the old testament is a bit different. There are people on these forums who question its truthfulness - I don't, infact I'd say it has a 'hyper reality' about it - the characters are much more alive, perceptive and aware then we are today - And many seem to learn from experience not religious texts.

Which leads to my question - As a Christian are you supposed to appreciate the world - experience god, the resurrection by experience? - or are you supposed to base your faith on scripture?

I'm not sure, your thoughts?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 May '13 06:28
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I have become more Christian lately, I'm at the point of calling myself Christian. But I am bad at reading the bible. In the past a criticism I've had of Christians is over rating how much knowledge can be gleaned from it. Some seem to treat it like its the only book worth reading, or worse the only book of academic merit, its certainly not that.

For me I ...[text shortened]... e? - or are you supposed to base your faith on scripture?

I think you should follow your own spiritual path. Forget about what you are supposed to do and just go where your intuition leads.
  3. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    21 May '13 10:05

For me I ...[text shortened]... e? - or are you supposed to base your faith on scripture?

To read the Bible or not?

The answer is yes, you should read it.
    I love books. I read everything. I love reading.
    I even read the jars that I buy in the supermarkets.

But seriously, if you want to criticize the Bible then first you must read it.
    The only reason you find it difficult is because the Bible is not just one book.
    It is a collection of 66 books written over a period of about 1600 years.

The language in the Old Testament is bound to be different from that
    of the New Testament. Down through all that time experts have argued
    about the translations. As well as that what annoys me most is that the
    Bible is written mostly in riddles and you have to work out a lot of stuff.
    You won't always get it right.

I was very surprised to discover that the last of the four horses of
    apocalypse was not pale but green. From the old Greek it is translated
    as green and not pale.

Is it all true or just fantasy? Who knows? I surely do not.

But when you have nutters on here telling you one thing and another loon
    telling you something else and then a third headcase telling you that it's
    all total fantasy and rubbish........

then you know that you must read it for yourself and make up your own
    mind.

I suppose you could do worse than follow the teachings of Jesus.
    His way of life seems to be simple and clear.

Love one another, help one another, peace, not war.
    Do good to others. Treat them the way you would have them treat you.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '13 10:251 edit

For me I e? - or are you supposed to base your faith on scripture?

Its imperative that you read the sacred text, without it, how will you form an evaluation of Gods personality. Paul makes it clear that for the Christian, the scriptures are like an anchor for our hope, a ship fitted out with provisions to help us in the ups and downs of life. It is not without good reason that the psalmist stated,

(Psalm 119:105) Your word is a lamp to my foot, And a light to my roadway

I encourage you to read the Bible e4chris
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 May '13 13:27
    Which leads to my question - As a Christian are you supposed to appreciate the world - experience god, the resurrection by experience? - or are you supposed to base your faith on scripture?

You would do well to read the Bible.

You could have two types of sessions reading the Bible.

1. One is for spiritual nourishment. The word of God is like milk and food to your inner being. You read and pray over what you read. You muse, read aloud interspersing your reading with prayers. The Bible is a book of prayer.

This you may do each morning before you do other things. I encourage you to begin your day with the nourishing reading. You read to FEED your inner being with God's words.

2.) Then you have latter another kind of session. You read with study in mind. Some commentaries of experienced believers is good. Maybe you have some tools to help you get into word meanings. This is more for your intellectual research.

A bird has TWO wings to fly. And a Christian needs both - reading for spiritual sustenance and nourishment and reading for study, interpretation, analysis.

To benefit from others who have spent years already doing research for you is profitable.

About experiencing Christ, this is paramount. For the Bible is for the purpose of leading us into experience and enjoyment of living in oneness with Jesus Christ.

Trials and troubles befall us all. We hardly have to go looking for troubles in life. They will come. If you learn to dig your roots down deeper and deeper into Christ in trust and praise, this will cause you to grow and even develop ministry.

Consider spiritual journey as a curriculum of ever more and more advanced courses. The courses are the troubles through which a Christian must pass. And the learning of the lessons is learning how to rely upon the Christ indwelling you for grace.

If you can praise God in all situations you will be one who overcomes - an overcomer. Praise of God is an expression of TRUST. And He is TRUSTWORTHY. So praising and thanksgiving is an exercise of faith in God.

This is precious and is like the refining of gold in the furnace. Like passing through successive grades in school God will also lead you through successive school of adverse situations. The goal is to conform you to the image of Christ.

The goal is to also build you up with other Christians. The goal is to drive your roots down deeper and deeper into Christ. And then you may draw up all the rich nutrients of His divine life. Resurrection becomes yours. Transcending all troubles more and more becomes yours.

This is surely a life long process. Read the Bible.

A scheme that works well for some people is.

One chapter in the New Testament matched with three chapters in the Old Testament.

One New Testament chapter matched with three Old Testament chapters. This scheme works pretty well with new believers. There are other schemes too.

My main source ( I have more than one) for good spiritual helps in getting into the Bible is Living Stream Ministry Publications -

http://www.ministrybooks.org/

Schoettle Publishing Co. Inc is also good with books that can help in benefitting from what others have uncovered from this exhaustless gold mine - the Holy Bible.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 May '13 13:47

There is a free class online or free download called "Powerful Christian Living".
    It is an excellent class for new people which teaches keys and principles to understanding the bible. In other words, what is addressed directly to a believer and what is just for our learning, and much more.

http://www.graceministryinternational.org/#
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 May '13 14:20
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    There is a free class online or free download called "Powerful Christian Living".
    It is an excellent class for new people which teaches keys and principles to understanding the bible. In other words, what is addressed directly to a believer and what is just for our learning, and much more.

http://www.graceministryinternational.org/#
    Sure, read the bible, it is good to know the enemy. Just come to your own conclusions and don't let anyone else do your thinking for you.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 May '13 14:395 edits
    Reading the Bible is also a matter of fellowship with other Christians. Only a very independent and proud person refuses to benefit from what other more experienced believers have learned.

Fellowship allows the young believer to benefit from the time others have already expended in their own spiritual journey.

This does not mean that she or he should take in everything they hear other believers say necessarily. And there are of course differing opinions from good people.

If fellowship of interpretation increases your love for the Lord Jesus, it is at least safe. If some study increases your appetite for the Holy Spirit, it is at least safe even though it may not be completely right.

If some teaching encourages you to depend more on God then it is okay. If it encourages you to seek independence from God, even if it sounds right, it is not good.

What does this fellowship do to my appetite for Jesus ?
    Will this give me more of Christ ?
    Will this teaching distract me from Christ or tend to increase my hunger for Christ ?

These are some good questions the Christian may ask God in prayer and muse upon.

An interpretation of Scripture may not be too good. If it glorifies Christ and tends to make you want more of God, it is at least not harmful.

With time and development of spiritual discernment the believer learns to separate more the wheat from the shaft. If our love for Jesus and love for one another in the Body of Christ is nourished, even if it is not too accurate a teaching, it will not be harmful.

Any Bible teaching that cools down your love for Jesus is wrong no matter how good it sounds.

God will not give you everything vertically. Neither will He give you everything horizontally. In some matters blessing will come directly from above from Christ the Head. At other times you cannot get through on your own and another Christian will help you - the Body of Christ, the other members. He or she may not be aware that they are helping you. But God will bless you both from above and through other imperfect and forgiven believers like yourself.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 May '13 15:07

It's like the most printed book in the world - I'm sure the important bits will find your ears . So no, no you don't need to read a bible.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 May '13 15:102 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its imperative that you read the sacred text, without it, how will you form an evaluation of Gods personality. Paul makes it clear that for the Christian, the scriptures are like an anchor for our hope, a ship fitted out with provisions to help us in the ups and downs of life. It is not without good reason that the psalmist stated,

(Psalm 119:1 ...[text shortened]... ord is a lamp to my foot, And a light to my roadway

I encourage you to read the Bible e4chris
    'how will you form an evaluation of "God's" personality?'

Are you kidding? Christians of all sorts are trampling over each other to tell you all about "God's" personality,etc. And where did they get their info from?

C'mon, fess up - Christianity is bloody boring.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 May '13 15:202 edits

For me I e? - or are you supposed to base your faith on scripture?

e4cris,

Karoly Aczel teaches you that you should not read the Holy Bible.

Ask Karoly Aczel any of the big questions of life and you'll quickly see that this poster does not have a clue.

Why sh/e is here ?
    No clue probably.

Where s/he came from and is the way s/he is ?
    You'll probably get protest about why there should be any reason for living.

You'll soon discover that this naysayer doesn't have any idea of origin, destination, or meaning of human life.

I encourage you to start each day with a little time reading that Holy Bible.

One chapter in Luke or John and then maybe three chapters of the Old Testament from Genesis. Maybe your capacity is just one chapter of the Gospel of John or Luke to start with.

Even if you just devote five minutes in the morning, start small.
    You'll be a happier person and more enlightened and fulfilled.
  12. Joined
    09 Apr '08
    Moves
    21 May '13 15:23

I would say that there is always value in reading the Bible as it contains a great deal of insight and wisdom. It provides a lot of the essential information needed to follow Christ's example and stay on the right path.

I would, however, add that your past criticism of some Christians over rating their Biblical knowledge has some merit. There is a danger of falling into a sort of intellectualism because you can quote scripture off the top of your head. Certainly the pharisees fell into this category and drew a great deal of criticism from Christ Himself. While they had tremendous Biblical knowledge they had no wisdom to apply their knowledge and thus they did not live their lives as Christ did.

One thing I would add that I see many Christians under estimating is the value of prayer. Prayer is the method that God has given us to communicate with Him. If you really want to know God and develop a personal relationship with Christ you really need to talk to Him.

I can read an autobiography and numerous biographies written about a person and after doing so claim that I know that person well. I would never, however, make the claim that I know that person better than his own family knows him or his closest personal friend.

In other words, we don't develop personal relationships with someone simply by reading about them. Developing a personal relationship requires spending time with that person. Prayer is the means by which we spend time with God and it provides the forum for us to truly develop a relationship with Him.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 May '13 16:061 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    e4cris,

Karoly Aczel teaches you that you should not read the Holy Bible.

Ask Karoly Aczel any of the big questions of life and you'll quickly see that this poster does not have a clue.

Why sh/e is here ?
    No clue probably.

Where s/he came from and is the way s/he is ?
    You'll probably get protest about why there should be any reas the morning, start small.
    You'll be a happier person and more enlightened and fulfilled.
    Go on try me.

BTW, I would've thought you knew I was a male by now.

But seriously, I bet my answers are more reasonable and are in the spirit of "as above, so below", (an age old adage), more so than yours.

Anyway, I did mention that you could pick up the main points from elsewhere.
    The reading of the rugurgatative business is just distraction for the likes of stellspalfie
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 May '13 17:05
    Originally posted by TheSurgeon
    I would say that there is always value in reading the Bible as it contains a great deal of insight and wisdom. It provides a lot of the essential information needed to follow Christ's example and stay on the right path.

I would, however, add that your past criticism of some Christians over rating their Biblical knowledge has some merit. There is a da ...[text shortened]... spend time with God and it provides the forum for us to truly develop a relationship with Him.
    Good post.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 May '13 17:071 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Go on try me.

BTW, I would've thought you knew I was a male by now.

But seriously, I bet my answers are more reasonable and are in the spirit of "as above, so below", (an age old adage), more so than yours.

Anyway, I did mention that you could pick up the main points from elsewhere.
    The reading of the rugurgatative business is just distraction for the likes of stellspalfie
    Go on try me.

Sir,

Who really knows you best ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree