1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 17:58
    what would it actually take god to do to make you accept he/she is real?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 18:31
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    Give a message that cannot be missunderstood. Like rearranging the stars into words that says "god did this" or something. He can do it, he is alwighty. But he won't. He can't. Because he isn't.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 19:08
    Maybe if he started a membership at RHP and then made a post affirming his own existence. Yeah, that ought to do it.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 19:11
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Maybe if he started a membership at RHP and then made a post affirming his own existence. Yeah, that ought to do it.
    Zi-goh!
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 19:17
    The Rapture...assuming you meant the Judeo-Christian version of "god", of course.
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 19:31
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Give a message that cannot be missunderstood. Like rearranging the stars into words that says "god did this" or something. He can do it, he is alwighty. But he won't. He can't. Because he isn't.
    ...but if he did , what would you do?
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 19:45
    If a miracle happened in a way that science truly could not explain and violated multiple laws of physics.

For example, if he split the Atlantic ocean like he did the Red sea and allowed people to travel from the US to England by foot.

Of course, the question would be - whose religion was really right if any?

Even if god existed, we wouldn't know whether jesus really was the messiah or not, etc..

That kind of a miraculous kind of event would truly make me think that there is more than just natural forces at work in the world.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 19:49
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    ...but if he did , what would you do?
    Then there is nothing more to discuss.

But what if the text among the stars was 'Allah was here', would every christian become muslim then? Or 'Buddha rules'? Or 'Krishna owns'?

I give him a week from now. If no non-interpretable sign among the stars until then, then it is a proof that no god is there. And I am right. I dare you, god!
  9. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 20:58
    Then there is nothing more to discuss.

But what if the text among the stars was 'Allah was here', would every christian become muslim then? Or 'Buddha rules'? Or 'Krishna owns'?

I give him a week from now. If no non-interpretable sign among the stars until then, then it is a proof that no god is there. And I am right. I dare you, god!
    There would be a lot to discuss actually . You would know he is there but you would still have to get to know him.

Also , don't forget that human beings can talk themselves out of anything if they want to. One might say it was a conspiracy done by NASA or a hoax . Maybe people would say that they were hallucinating or some subliminal message had been out through our TV sets.
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 21:16
    There would be a lot to discuss actually . You would know he is there but you would still have to get to know him.

Also , don't forget that human beings can talk themselves out of anything if they want to. One might say it was a conspiracy done by NASA or a hoax . Maybe people would say that they were hallucinating or some subliminal message had been out through our TV sets.
    I agree, but how would you actually get to know him? God putting forth a sign that he exists doesn't establish him as being "allah" or "jesus" or any specific god necessarily.

You're right that human beings can talk themselves into just about anything. There would always be people claiming that it was a hoax or some other event.
  11. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 22:26
    Have a look at http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/theistguide.html. It's a pretty good list of things that many atheists would accept as evidence for a god.

In terms of things that God must directly do, essentially, he must announce himself in an unambiguous manner and in a way that is independently and objectively verifiable. The suggestion of re-arranging the stars would be pretty good, particularly if they could says which god he was, maybe in each of the languages of the world.

All well within his capabilities, I'm sure.

--- Penguin.
  12. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 22:32
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Have a look at http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/theistguide.html. It's a pretty good list of things that many atheists would accept as evidence for a god.

In terms of things that God must directly do, essentially, he must announce himself in an unambiguous manner and in a way that is independently and objectively verifiable. The suggestion of re-arrangi ...[text shortened]... of the languages of the world.

All well within his capabilities, I'm sure.

--- Penguin.
    If he did this you would have no choice but to believe in him , if he hides at least you get the choice. A God who made a sign in the stars would really be a soooooper daddy who might be accused of making it far too easy for us. Do you want an obvious sooooper daddy?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 06:37

No human technology can move stars and fool every astronomer. Every one can go out oat a dark night and see for themselves. I'd think it would be bulletproof.

I promise every one, that if this happens, I go baptize in the very moment. That will be the day.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 07:301 edit
    If he did this you would have no choice but to believe in him , if he hides at least you get the choice. A God who made a sign in the stars would really be a soooooper daddy who might be accused of making it far too easy for us. Do you want an obvious sooooper daddy?
    I don't particularly want a god at all, but if I have to have one, I would like a soooper daddy. Who wouldn't? Why do you want to work for your salvation? I thought that you claimed that the very uniqueness of Christianity was that you didn't have to work for it. Make up your mind already.
    As far as I can tell from what some Christians tell me, you included, unless I believe in God, I am going to a rather undesirable place after my death. Is that what your God wants? Why? Why is he hiding and giving me a choice when he knows perfectly well that I will make the wrong choice? (lets accept for now that it is me making the choice with my free will).
    Why on earth would he want some people to not believe in him? Thats not giving us free will, thats deliberate malicious deception.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 07:57
    No human technology can move stars and fool every astronomer. Every one can go out oat a dark night and see for themselves. I'd think it would be bulletproof.

I promise every one, that if this happens, I go baptize in the very moment. That will be the day.
    what? you want a medal for "believing" the obvious? people don't need faith in gravity they know gravity exists every time they take a dump and hear the splash.

the hole point of a religion is to have faith, to believe something even though you are not sure. if proof would exist of god most will accept his existence although some people will always believe what they want even in the face proof to the contrary. like creationists.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree