27 Feb '14 22:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 22:50
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    "determinism vs free will"???? There is a whole class of conceptions of free will (so-called "compatibilist" ones) that holds that determinism and freedom are compatible with each other. I suppose this discussion should be focused from the outset that the conceptions of freedom at issue are incompatibilist ones? That's too bad, since the compatibilist conceptions are pretty much the only coherent ones.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 23:071 edit

4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 23:24
    Could it be simplified even more so a redneck moron like me could understand?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 23:50
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Could it be simplified even more so a redneck moron like me could understand?
    "Could it be simplified even more so a redneck moron like me could understand?" Ron, you exercised your volitional free
    will by deciding to post this reply requesting help; you could have decided to ignore the thread, which would have been a negative rather than a positive free will decision. Free will coexists with God's Sovereignty in human history. -Bob
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 23:511 edit
    It's good to set aside the specific example for a while, partly because the example is controversial and also, are we discussing a difference of genetics versus conditioning versus "free choice of a morally accountable soul" (I think none of those) or is it a metaphysical issue?

I would like to ask questions that your title word "extent" make me think are relevant. Of what is our will free? Of what must our will be free in order that we consider it "free will"?

A typical answer is, it need be free of coercion, meaning no one has a gun to your head or the head of a loved one. I think this answer is inadequate, as someone could say you can choose death.

So, of what, or from what, is a free will free?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 23:54
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Could it be simplified even more so a redneck moron like me could understand?" Ron, you exercised your volitional free
    will by deciding to post this reply requesting help; you could have decided to ignore the thread, which would have been a negative rather than a positive free will decision. Free will coexists with God's Sovereignty in human history. -Bob
    Posting the OP in the Spirituality forum was a choice freely made, which has consequences. 🙂
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 23:55
    Yes I know that, but is that what you think Duchess64 means?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 00:03
    Originally posted by JS357
    A typical answer is, it need be free of coercion, meaning no one has a gun to your head or the head of a loved one. I think this answer is inadequate, as someone could say you can choose death.
    Of course. Otherwise it cannot be free will. If one chooses "not God", does one not choose death?
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 00:10
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Of course. Otherwise it cannot be free will. If one chooses "not God", does one not choose death?
    I meant choose a bullet in your or your loved one's head.

But the principle is the same. Of what is our will free, if we choose God over not-God or vice versa?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 00:181 edit

12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 00:281 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yes I know that, but is that what you think Duchess64 means?
    "A man can surely do what he wills to do, but he cannot determine
    what he wills."
    --Arthur Schopenhauer (OP)

Postulating a convoluted sentence may be a gently provocative tactic to stimulate varying opinions (just a guess).
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 00:30
    I guess one could call that coerced free will.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 00:32
    I would say if there is such a thing as free will from a metaphysical/philosophical POV, her will was free in that respect (again, I said if) -- but of course I would say legally speaking, on its face her acquiescence was not a free will act of consent.

I would say if she put herself in an innocent-looking situation where a reasonable person would feel safe, and was drugged and essentially comatose or not under her own muscular control during the act, it was neither a metaphysical/philosophical free will act, nor (of course) a legally free will act.

I believe this thread is not going to go in an direction that interests me so will lurk and see.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 00:38
    "A man can surely do what he wills to do, but he cannot determine
    what he wills."
    --Arthur Schopenhauer (OP)

Postulating a convoluted sentence may be a gently provocative tactic to stimulate varying opinions (just a guess).
    I don't think Schopenhauer spent much time on the gentle stimulation of varying opinions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree