1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 01:45
    Originally posted by JS357
    I don't think Schopenhauer spent much time on the gentle stimulation of varying opinions.
    Agree. Description was of the thread originator's possible purpose in using it to get the conversation started.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 01:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    But no one denies that the woman still has free will. Her will was to resist. He overcame this by force.

Most would simply understand that the man is a liar.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 01:47
    Posting the OP in the Spirituality forum was a choice freely made, which has consequences. 🙂
    Precisely.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 02:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 02:53
    I meant choose a bullet in your or your loved one's head.

But the principle is the same. Of what is our will free, if we choose God over not-God or vice versa?
    Many a person did what they thought was right no matter how many guns
    were pointed at them or their family members. Will if it is free will still do
    what it wants in the face of when the rewards are good and the penalties
    are bad. I find my will is tested more when short term rewards for bad
    choices are in front of me than when threats are trying to get me to do
    something I'd not want to do.

The point of this thread if I understand it is that will we make free choices
    because we want to, or are our lives more like people in a book simply
    doing what was written for us to by someone else.

I believe we have free will, if not there isn't a good or evil, which I believe
    there is. Reason for that thought is that I do believe we should be doing
    the caring loving things that are possible for us verses selfish hateful ones.
    Kelly
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 03:02

7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 03:06
    Note: He would reply were he allowed to...
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 03:221 edit

9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 12:31
    Methinks one’s feelings, thoughts and actions are triggered by one’s Sensitive Dependence on Initial Conditions. Whenever one treats SDIC according to the evaluation of one’s mind, the resulting causal field is free will dependent and, during its lifetime evolution, it mimics a random process that lacks of predictability or computability in an appropriate sense. I think this is the reason why each person has radically divergent future developments within a finite timespan although the human beings have almost identical initial states.

So I believe, for one, that the main characteristic of free will is indeed our personal and collective SDIC; and, for two, that every decision we make is the result of the evaluation of the mind as regards both the way we conceive and decipher the given conditions, and the way we want to set up the conditions we want to create
    😵
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 12:44
    Do I have the free will?

If it feels like I have a free will, then I also have a free will.

Proof: I write these words of my free will. If you see them then I really have the free will, else I don't.
    Question? Do you see these words? Your answer shows that the proof is correct.
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 13:00
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Do I have the free will?

If it feels like I have a free will, then I also have a free will.

Proof: I write these words of my free will. If you see them then I really have the free will, else I don't.
    Question? Do you see these words? Your answer shows that the proof is correct.
    Methinks it doesn't matter how it feels;

Under any circumstances we merely evaluate consciously and/ or subconsciously, and also instinctively, the whole structural interconnection of the causes and the conditions before the activation of our decision making system. All our knowledge, our desires and the products of all of our personal and collective intellectual efforts are a hard struggle to see, understand and decode the connections of the hierarchies, and we do it by means of making decisions.
    It follows that if, for example, the gay person of the OP has to choose under the conditions described therein, he will choose anyway according to the evaluation of his mind alone and thus according to his free will. This is the reason why the outcome of his decision is highly unpredictable, for indeed it ‘s a product of his understanding as regards a plexus of hierarchies
    😵
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 13:40
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Could it be simplified even more so a redneck moron like me could understand?" Ron, you exercised your volitional free
    will by deciding to post this reply requesting help; you could have decided to ignore the thread, which would have been a negative rather than a positive free will decision. Free will coexists with God's Sovereignty in human history. -Bob
    RJHinds called himself a redneck moron. This is partly because of the place of birth of Our Lovable Dummy. He had no choice in that, hence part of the decision making process that led O.L.D. to calling himself redneck moron he had no control over.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 13:51
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    RJHinds called himself a redneck moron. This is partly because of the place of birth of Our Lovable Dummy. He had no choice in that, hence part of the decision making process that led O.L.D. to calling himself redneck moron he had no control over.
    If RJH chooses to call himself a redneck moron, of his own free will (noone is forcing him, are we?), then it is because he wants us, of his own free will (noone is forcing him, are we?), to consider him as a redneck moron.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 13:551 edit
    Do you think the only way in which Person X's free will can be broken is if someone else "forces" Person X to say or do something?
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 13:581 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Methinks it doesn't matter how it feels;

Under any circumstances we merely evaluate consciously and/ or subconsciously, and also instinctively, the whole structural interconnection of the causes and the conditions before the activation of our decision making system. All our knowledge, our desires and the products of all of our personal and collective ...[text shortened]... dictable, for indeed it ‘s a product of his understanding as regards a plexus of hierarchies
    😵
    In your sentence, "It follows that if, for example, the gay person of the OP has to choose under the conditions described therein, he will choose anyway according to the evaluation of his mind alone and thus according to his free will," what is the function of the word "free" that is not served by saying instead, "It follows that if, for example, the gay person of the OP has to choose under the conditions described therein, he will choose anyway according to the evaluation of his mind alone and thus according to his will"?

I still seek to find what free will is free of. Maybe "free will" is not best interpreted as a noun with a descriptive adjective that distinguishes freely willing in some way from other sorts of willing.

Is there such a thing as willing that is not free? I think the discussion has left its boots off from the start.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree