1. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 23:301 edit
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    Thanks I've learned something there. As I suspected, officially, Sikhism is not caste based. But it appears that some people are still obsessed enough to want to trace the caste of the original Hindu converts to Sikhism, which demonstrates the influence of culture in the context of religious doctrine. The same is true in Christian, Islamic and other religious communities of course.
    no sweat, i myself knew it existed but had no idea either why or how it had come about. Do you think that caste exists in Christianity or that Christianity was able to transcend these cultural barriers? i dont know enough about it myself to make any kind of proper evaluation 🙁
  2. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 23:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no sweat, i myself knew it existed but had no idea either why or how it had come about. Do you think that caste exists in Christianity or that Christianity was able to transcend these cultural barriers?
    I think Christianity was once in favour of slavery but has come to realise that all are judged before god on the basis of a fundamental equality, although each individual must answer for their sins of course. So Christianity has transcended caste. But I wonder whether it has transcended class or gender inequality. Wouldn't you agree that each religion inhabits a number of very different cultural environments, and each reaches a local settlement with the cultural baggage of the host community?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 23:56
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhism - check it out guys, very enlightening!

"A key distinctive feature of Sikhism is a non-anthropomorphic concept of God, to the extent that one can interpret God as the Universe itself."

Not very distinctive at all. It's really just Hinduism. A Rose is a Rose, or, you can't put lipstick on a pig and it is still a pig.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 00:01
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    I think Christianity was once in favour of slavery but has come to realise that all are judged before god on the basis of a fundamental equality, although each individual must answer for their sins of course. So Christianity has transcended caste. But I wonder whether it has transcended class or gender inequality. Wouldn't you agree that each religion inh ...[text shortened]... ironments, and each reaches a local settlement with the cultural baggage of the host community?
    yes, i think i would, very well put 🙂
  5. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 00:58
    yes, i think i would, very well put 🙂
    Kind of you to say so.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 01:16
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
    😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵

(these smileys are supposed to show laughter. like if you would hear that someone told
    Hitler that he was too kindhearted.)
    I've already said whose posts i like better in general, but for sheer 'lol' value I cant deparate you and robbie. thnx guys,keep it coming. laughter is the best medicine sometimes...
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 08:13
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I've already said whose posts i like better in general, but for sheer 'lol' value I cant deparate you and robbie. thnx guys,keep it coming. laughter is the best medicine sometimes...
    i tried to abstain, i really did, but sometimes it is really hard.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 10:481 edit
    entering into a conversation with Zapansy is like spider man putting on the black symbiotic suit, he knows its not good for his health, but he does it anyway!
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 11:30
    entering into a conversation with Zapansy is like spider man putting on the black symbiotic suit, he knows its not good for his health, but he does it anyway!
    Its hard to look into either one of your avatars eyes and be angry.🙂
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 11:41
    Its hard to look into either one of your avatars eyes and be angry.🙂
    is it wrong or unwise for a practising Buddhist to have violent thoughts?
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 12:00
    is it wrong or unwise for a practising Buddhist to have violent thoughts?
    It is unwise. It isn't wrong.
    However one must follow their own dharma. In my experience I have observed most dharmas to be of a non-violent nature however their have been e few notable exceptions.

And no, I'm not an authority on bhuddism,having read only a handful of sutras.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree