1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 May '14 22:531 edit
    So it turns out this "Maybe Jesus was married after all" story was a complete and utter hoax after all, just as I said at the time.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304178104579535540828090438

(I finally figured out how to copy and paste on my tablet, thank goodness.)
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 May '14 23:001 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So it turns out this "Maybe Jesus was married after all" story was a complete and utter hoax after all, just as I said at the time.

does that mean that the other 99.9% of the times you are caught slobbering and drooling have more legitimacy? try reading the instructions!
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 May '14 23:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    does that mean that the other 99.9% of the times you are caught slobbering and drooling have more legitimacy? try reading the instructions!
    robbie, why do you have knuckles?
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 May '14 23:232 edits

Yes, Suzi. It was a "hoax" without authority: perpetrated to promote the false Gnostic view of the Son of God, Jesus Christ.

Question: "Was Jesus Christ married? Did Jesus have a wife?"

"Answer:
    The recent discovery and translation of the fourth-century "Jesus' wife papyrus" has reopened the discussion as to whether Jesus had a wife / was married. The "Jesus' wife papyus" says, "Jesus said to them, 'My wife ...'" This discovery is interesting in that it is the first Gnostic writing to explicitly state that Jesus had a wife. While a couple of the Gnostic gospels mention Jesus having a close relationship with Mary Magdalene, none of them specifically state that Jesus was married to her or to anyone else. Ultimately, it does not matter what the "Jesus' wife papyrus" or Gnostic gospels say. They have no authority. They have all been proven to be forgeries invented to create a Gnostic view of Jesus.

If Jesus had been married, the Bible would have told us so, or there would be some unambiguous statement to that fact. Scripture would not be completely silent on such an important issue. The Bible mentions Jesus’ mother, adoptive father, half-brothers, and half-sisters. Why would it neglect to mention the fact that Jesus had a wife? Those who believe/teach that Jesus was married are doing so in an attempt to “humanize” Him, to make Him more ordinary, more like everyone else. People simply do not want to believe that Jesus was God in the flesh (John 1:1, 14; 10:30). So, they invent and believe myths about Jesus being married, having children, and being an ordinary human being.

A secondary question would be, “Could Jesus Christ have been married?” There is nothing sinful about being married. There is nothing sinful about having sexual relations in marriage. So, yes, Jesus could have been married and still be the sinless Lamb of God and Savior of the world. At the same time, there is no biblical reason for Jesus to marry. That is not the point in this debate. Those who believe Jesus was married do not believe that He was sinless, or that He was the Messiah. Getting married and having children is not why God sent Jesus. Mark 10:45 tells us why Jesus came, “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Do you want to learn about the true "wife" of Jesus? If so, please read our article on "What does it mean that the church is the bride of Christ?" http://www.gotquestions.org/was-Jesus-married.html
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 May '14 23:30
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    robbie, why do you have knuckles?
    doesn't everyone have knuckles?
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 May '14 23:41
    doesn't everyone have knuckles?
    thats not an answer to the question.

the question was...why do you have knuckles?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 May '14 23:451 edit
    thats not an answer to the question.

the question was...why do you have knuckles?
    I believe its to punch the air in joyous celebration that i have knuckles. Why do you think we have them?
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 May '14 23:47
    I believe its to punch the air in joyous celebration that i have knuckles. Why do you think we have them?
    knuckles are for punching air?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 May '14 23:492 edits
    knuckles are for punching air?
    yes in celebration like when England are beaten by Germany at football, or the Sunrisers Hyderabad score a six in the IPL. Why do you think they are for?
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 May '14 00:00
    yes in celebration like when England are beaten by Germany at football, or the Sunrisers Hyderabad score a six in the IPL.
    if knuckles are used for anything other than punching the air does does god find it unnatural?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 May '14 00:024 edits
    if knuckles are used for anything other than punching the air does does god find it unnatural?
    does God find it unnatural, hmmm, well it depends on what they are being used for. Have you been kissing the back of your hand again? pretending its a real woman that you are kissing? fess up my son, i will hear your confessions.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 May '14 02:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    If Jesus had been married, the Bible would have told us so, or there would be some unambiguous statement to that fact. Scripture would not be completely silent on such an important issue.
    If Jesus had been single, the Bible would have told us so, or there would be some unambiguous statement to that fact. Scripture would not be completely silent on such an important issue.

Surely it would have been very odd for a man of Jesus's age not to be married in those days?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 May '14 03:21
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    If Jesus had been single, the Bible would have told us so, or there would be some unambiguous statement to that fact. Scripture would not be completely silent on such an important issue.

Surely it would have been very odd for a man of Jesus's age not to be married in those days?
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

Yes, I'm sure. The Son of God, Jesus Christ, in hypostatic union [perfect humanity and undiminished deity in one person forever] on earth during the First Advent [appearance] was unique. There is no point of comparison: an awesome reality.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '14 03:49
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Yes, I'm sure. The Son of God, Jesus Christ, in hypostatic union [perfect humanity and undiminished deity in one person forever] on earth during the First Advent [appearance] was unique. There is no point of comparison: an awesome reality.
    Isn't the fact that he was a carpenter and earned a living from carpentry, for example, a "point of comparison" with other craftsmen and other ordinary people making their livelihoods? To me, it seems rather incoherent to BOTH celebrate the fact that he was a real human and THEN cancel all that out by insisting that "there is no point of comparison". OK, fine, if "there is no point of comparison" with other humans then what is the big deal about him being a human?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 May '14 04:59

The truth always wins out in the end.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree