1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 10:13
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    what makes you think the tracks were not laid by us as individuals? what if we laid the tracks already and this idea of "time" is actually just us watching these tracks we have laid?
    Do you mean we lay the tracks in front of us ourselves that we follow ? Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. How do we lay out the track before we get there?
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 11:09
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Do you mean we lay the tracks in front of us ourselves that we follow ? Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. How do we lay out the track before we get there?
    i have no idea, but when you make a decision, it doesn't feel as if someone is doing it for you.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 14:03
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i have no idea, but when you make a decision, it doesn't feel as if someone is doing it for you.
    But there are always reasons why you made the decision. It didn't just come out of nowhere. The decision you make is intimately tied to what happened in the past.
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 18:38
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    But there are always reasons why you made the decision. It didn't just come out of nowhere. The decision you make is intimately tied to what happened in the past.
    that is very true. when you look at it psychologically, we are all victims of our biological make-up, and the world around us. you could very easily make the argument that we are totally predictable and have no free will. it would just take somebody of very high intelligence, such as a god. w/ that argument, god does not even have to exist to have no free will.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 18:551 edit
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    You are one person - 1945 is your past . For Hitler in 1939 then 1945 is his future. 1945 is his future and your past. You will of course say "Ah but Hitler is dead" but that's from your perspective in the time dimension . For him in 1939 you are not alive yet.
    Then I better understand what you meen, however, I still don't agree.

I say our universe is only one universe. Not one for every 'now' that hs been and will be, including the 'now' we're in right now.

I don't think that the future exist now, nor the past exist now. The future is there in our speculations and expactations, ie in our mind. The past is there in our memories, and evidence in the 'now' reality.

If we compare the Universe with a reel of a movie, say 'Gone by the wind'. In this film there is thousands of separate pictuers. If we look at one of them, calling it the 'now' picture. The picture ahead is the future and the ones we already have seen is the past. Here we don't agree. This is your parallell.

My parallell is that the only known picutre is the one we're looking at right now. The future pictures doesn't exist, and the past pictures are also 'gone by the wind'. Our Universe is only a snapshot of itself.

Who is right and who is wrong? That we cannot ever know for sure. But it is a very profound truth about the Universe.

If you are right, then time machines is possible, we can foretell the future, because the future is already known (by the universe itself at lesast), astrology works,a dn sush.

If I am right, there is no way time machines can work, there is no way to see into the future, asrology is not more but a religion. Sorry to say, my universe is a boring universe. But I have a free will, and that counts for much.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 18:59
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    But I have a free will, and that counts for much.
    Free within limits, so not really free.
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 21:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Then I better understand what you meen, however, I still don't agree.

I say our universe is only one universe. Not one for every 'now' that hs been and will be, including the 'now' we're in right now.

I don't think that the future exist now, nor the past exist now. The future is there in our speculations and expactations, ie in our mind. The past is ...[text shortened]... iverse is a boring universe. But I have a free will, and that counts for much.
    My understanding is that Einstein thought that time travel into the future might be possible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree