1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 23:52
    @stellspalfie said
    Not strategies...but turning the other cheek is new testament, is it not? How about not killing? Does Jesus make exceptions?
    No, he does not.

I've never considered politicians who promote war and military spending, while neglecting the general welfare of the least of our brothers, to be very good "Christians" at all.
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 23:59
    @suzianne said
    No, he does not.

I've never considered politicians who promote war and military spending, while neglecting the general welfare of the least of our brothers, to be very good "Christians" at all.
    Do you support any forms of killing of other humans?
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 03:27
    @stellspalfie said
    Only with love. How do you reconcile the killing and aggression shown by your military with the nonviolent messages of the new testament?
    The vast majority of things done by all humans go against the messages of the new testament, why limit it to the military which I have no control over anyway? We are told to love one another, we are told if we harm another we sin against them, we are even told if someone has something against us we are to go to them and make it right. We were told not even to have bad thoughts about others, calling someone a fool is putting one's self in danger of Hell. Not forgiving anyone of anything puts you in a place where you may not be forgiven. If Jesus made this that personal, why concern yourself with a government controlled thing instead of personal responsibilities?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 05:20
    @stellspalfie said
    Do you support any forms of killing of other humans?
    Would this get me kicked out of the "cool kids" club?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 05:46
    @suzianne said
    I get that you are entitled to judge whether they are good citizens or good legislators or good leaders etc. But are you sure you are entitled to judge whether they are good Christians? Doesn't the Bible caution you not to do that?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 11:18
    @fmf said
    I get that you are entitled to judge whether they are good citizens or good legislators or good leaders etc. But are you sure you are entitled to judge whether they are good Christians? Doesn't the Bible caution you not to do that?
    These are those who work inequity, those to whom Jesus will say "I never knew you". They are not Christians.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 12:13
    @suzianne said
    These are those who work inequity, those to whom Jesus will say "I never knew you". They are not Christians.
    But it's you who is deciding who "are not Christians" in this instance, not Jesus.

Are you certain that - in view of your belief in the Bible - that you are entitled to judge whether people are "good" or "bad" Christians?

As far as I recall, the Bible cautions you not to do that.

You get annoyed when your fellow Christians judge you as a "bad" Christian for not thinking abortion is wrong.

Haven't you protested in the past that they have no right to judge you as a "bad" Christian?
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 23:16
    @suzianne said
    Would this get me kicked out of the "cool kids" club?
    Are you assuming you are in the 'cool kids club'? Is there a club? Who's in the club...I've always worked hard to not be cool...….does that make me cool.....its so confusing!!!
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 23:17
    @kellyjay said
    The vast majority of things done by all humans go against the messages of the new testament, why limit it to the military which I have no control over anyway? We are told to love one another, we are told if we harm another we sin against them, we are even told if someone has something against us we are to go to them and make it right. We were told not even to have bad though ...[text shortened]... sonal, why concern yourself with a government controlled thing instead of personal responsibilities?
    You have no control over the military...I agree, but do you support military killing, do you support police killing, do you support death penalty killing?...….how do you square any killing with the bible?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 23:58
    @stellspalfie said
    You have no control over the military...I agree, but do you support military killing, do you support police killing, do you support death penalty killing?...….how do you square any killing with the bible?
    The commandment in scripture is murder not just killing, so killing in law enforcement and military actions of war are not the same thing. So yes I support them.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 02:04
    @kellyjay said
    The commandment in scripture is murder not just killing, so killing in law enforcement and military actions of war are not the same thing. So yes I support them.
    In Vietnam, were you participating in a 'Just War'?
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 20:54
    @kellyjay said
    Are all deaths at the hands of the military/police killing? Can they be murder? How do you define which is which?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 23:45
    @secondson said
    Romans 12:18
    If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
    Right, IF possible.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 23:46
    @stellspalfie said
    Are all deaths at the hands of the military/police killing? Can they be murder? How do you define which is which?
    The commandment, "Thou shalt not kill" is an erroneous translation.

It's more like, Thou shalt not murder.

Sometimes killing is necessary.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 23:492 edits
    @fmf said
    In Vietnam, were you participating in a 'Just War'?
    As I look back at the loss of life in Vietnam with the seemingly zero good that caem from it, I tend to think it was not just and not worth it.

But when I think about the Korean war, which was much like the Vietnam war, and I see how prosperous and free South Korea is compared to the misery of North Korea, I take pause in trying to decide if that war was just as just and perhaps worth it.

It's a toughy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree