1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 18:31
    Originally posted by lausey
    Last bit got cut off:

Yes, we are bio-machines. Do not have a soul or spirit and do not have any specific purpose. We are just here after millions of years of evolution and natural selection. Regarding killing babies, see my point about the humanist thinking about humanity in general based on their own life and experiences. It is very easy to treat others ...[text shortened]... me from living a happy and fulfilling life, and treat others to help them achieve the same.
    Spoken like a true God complexed atheists.

You know where we came from.
    You know whether or not we have souls.
    You can pontificate morality.
    You decide what is in humanities best interest.
    You decide who is a viable living being.
    It's all about you.

It's you who has the imaginary friend. But he's not imaginary, and he's not your friend.

"...but it would not stop me from living a happy and fulfilling life,.."

"Yes, we are bio-machines. Do not have a soul or spirit and do not have any specific purpose."

Tell me, how do you have a happy and fulfilling life while at the same time having no specific purpose?

You are conflicted. You are a living soul, who, deep inside, is crying out to the One who made you, while simultaneously denying His existence.

"I know you will find this offensive,.."
  2. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 00:321 edit
    Originally posted by josephw

[b]"I know you will find this offensive,.."
    [/b]

Yes, from scientific evidence.

There are no scientific evidence of souls, yet you would believe there is based on a made up story.

Morals were defined by humankind based on the basic premise "treat others like how you would like to be treated". Humanitarians generally live by this premise. Certainly there are many people who do not live by this, but this is regardless of religion. You don't need to know what happens after death to do this.

You decide what is in humanities best interest.

Not me personally, many humanitarians. Whether agnostic or atheist. It isn't based on fear of what happens after death, which is what many religions brainwash.

You decide who is a viable living being.

Believe what you like, but I have never decided that.

It's all about you.

Like I said, I am speaking on behalf on what many humanitarians believe.

It's you who has the imaginary friend. But he's not imaginary, and he's not your friend.

To me, your friend is imaginary, and I do not care if he is my friend or not.

Tell me, how do you have a happy and fulfilling life while at the same time having no specific purpose?

Easy. Many people live happy and fulfulling lives already, regardless as to if they believe there is a purpose or not. What happens after death is not relevant to many of these people.

You are conflicted. You are a living soul, who, deep inside, is crying out to the One who made you, while simultaneously denying His existence.

You clearly do not understand my viewpoint, so have to invent a viewpoint that only you can understand. You are so convinced that there is a creator, you cannot comprehend any other way.
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 02:21
    I want to add that these people do not CHOOSE to be non-religious, they are basing it on scientific evidence. Therefore there is no choice in the matter.

Some might like there to be a purpose, but accept that there isn't one.
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 12:18
    I want to add that these people do not CHOOSE to be non-religious, they are basing it on scientific evidence. Therefore there is no choice in the matter.

Each person has the potential to create his own purpose of life........or not! That is to say, the prupose of life is whatever you make it to be.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 13:04
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Each person has the potential to create his own purpose of life........or not! That is to say, the prupose of life is whatever you make it to be.
    You two are onto something there...
    Humans are always trying to put meaning into things...
    Its too frightening to think that there may not be any meaning as their ken allows.
  6. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 16:20
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    You two are onto something there...
    Humans are always trying to put meaning into things...
    Its too frightening to think that there may not be any meaning as their ken allows.
    The Bodhisattva learns to dwell without thought-coverings. - Heart Sutra
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 17:15
    Many Christians believe Atheists are going to hell because they don't believe in Jesus. Many Atheists think Christians are gullible naifs incapable of critical thinking and oblivious to cold hard reality. (That is to say, they drank the cool aid.) Both positions exist, but they both can't be correct.

My view is that the only miracle about Christianity is that it has fooled so many people for so long!
    My view is that the only miracle about Christianity is that it has fooled so many people for so long!
    -------------------------------------joe--------------------------------------

I know it's incedible isn't it. There must be something so compelling about this Jesus guy. I wonder what it is.............
  8. The sky
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 17:31
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    That there are intelligent Christians aplenty (even 3 1/2 that regularly post here at RHP) disproves the contrary position.
    Is the half bit half a person, a person who is half Christian, a person who is half intelligent or a person who is posting half regularly?
  9. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 23:22
    A very valid point and I agree that I have been quite flippant in my last post. Atheists clearly wouldn't have any purpose for anything after their death (not for themselves anyway), but certainly they would have purposes for specific goals within their lifetime.

I suppose I was focusing on views after death. 🙂
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 23:26
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Is the half bit half a person, a person who is half Christian, a person who is half intelligent or a person who is posting half regularly?
    Yeah...who's this half guy? It's got me curious.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 01:46
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yeah...who's this half guy? It's got me curious.
    Perhaps they are only half-kidding.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 05:34
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I know it's incedible isn't it. There must be something so compelling about this Jesus guy. I wonder what it is.............
    Whatever it is, it isn't as compelling as this Mohammed guy who came much later but seems to have gathered more followers.
    In both cases a mixture of evangelism, coercion and child indoctrination seems to work wonders. (I wouldn't really call all the techniques 'compelling' though.)
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 07:41

Au contraire! I know MANY people who are believers in God who choose to stay home, not attend church, participate in whatever sacraments their church conducts, refuse to support missions, etc. These are all acts considered to be religous and they CHOOSE not to participate, for a variety of reasons. Mostly poor ones.
  14. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 14:35
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Au contraire! I know MANY people who are believers in God who choose to stay home, not attend church, participate in whatever sacraments their church conducts, refuse to support missions, etc. These are all acts considered to be religous and they CHOOSE not to participate, for a variety of reasons. Mostly poor ones.
    To an atheist, this is a moot point. It wouldn't make any difference to him/her if a religious person attends church or not. Although in their view, attending church, participating in church sacraments and supporting missions would be a complete waste of time and poor choices.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 17:281 edit
    [b]Spoken like a true God complexed atheists.

Yes, from scientific evidence.

There are no scientific evidence of souls, yet you would believe there is based on a made up story.

Morals were defined by humankind based on the bas tand. You are so convinced that there is a creator, you cannot comprehend any other way.[/b]
    ======================================
    Not me personally, many humanitarians. Whether agnostic or atheist. It isn't based on fear of what happens after death, which is what many religions brainwash.
    ========================================

Why is it that for people to convince others that people should treat others the way that they themselves should be treated is not brainwashing but to teach that even death will not absolve one from justice is brainwashing?

I don't understand why the former indoctrination is not brainwashing but the latter is brainwashing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree