1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 15:44
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Can I point out that the original meaning of the word “sacrifice” is “to make sacred or holy?” A soteriology of sanctification keeps closer to this sense of the word.

Although there is the idea of blood sacrifice in ancient Judaism, it is not the only kind of sacrifice. In the NT, the Greek thusia means an offering, generally a sacred offering ...[text shortened]... to enter into.)

* All quotes from Olivier Clement, The Roots of Christian Mysticism.
    I'm so shamefully Occidental, it's not funny.

🙁

Thanks for the Oriental viewpoint. 🙂
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 16:111 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What Judas did wasn't a sacrifice, and ultimate is all that you have
    isn't it? You can not ultimately give more than you have, and in
    Jesus' case He gave what he had here which as his life while here in
    this life.
    Kelly
    Jesus gave his physical life so that we might be saved. Many people have sacrificed their physical life for another.

Judas gave up his eternal spiritual life so that we might be saved (after all somebody had to betray Christ).

Judas' sacrifice was much greater because as you said yourself the eternal is all that matters.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 19:263 edits
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I'm so shamefully Occidental, it's not funny.

🙁

Thanks for the Oriental viewpoint. 🙂
    Some quotes from a Orthodox writer, bearing on my thesis in the prior post, that I thought might interest you—

http://www.orlapubs.com/AR/OLD%20LTRS--LAT%20APLGT%20ETC/LT3.html

As Fr. John Meyendorff observed, the Orthodox speak simply of "Salvation." "Redemption" (based on a biblical metaphor) is rarely used; the other juridical terms, almost never.

Our emphasis on the Incarnation and the Resurrection (we certainly don't underestimate the Crucifixion either, but celebrate festivals in its honor, cross ourselves quite often, and have icons of the holy Cross everywhere) invokes being in the basic form of [divine] energies and emphasizes and depends on participation in Being.*

After all, it is nonsensical in our framework to say: God attributes (imputes) Adam's sins to you and me (and even the all-pure Theotokos); He then imputes these imputed sins of, say, an infant (or the all-pure Theotokos) back to Christ; and then Christ's "merits" are imputed to us--who all the time remain (as Luther said) "sinners" in ontological reality.**

* In Orthodoxy there is a longstanding differentiation between God’s essence and God’s energies; charis (“grace” ) is related to these energies, and is not simply “gift.”

** I would phrase this “reductio” somewhat differently—

(1) As a result of the “fall,” Adam acquired an ontological “sin nature.”

(2) This ontological sinfulness (and the guilt that merits just punishment) is inherited by all subsequent humans (via procreation?).

(3) This ontological sinfulness/guilt is assumed by Christ (2 Cor. 5:21) and destroyed (Rom. 6:6), or removed (Heb. 9:26); [see also John 1:29, Rom. 6:22, Rom. 8:2, and 2 Cor. 5:21].

(4) Humans still inherit and bear this ontological sinfulness/guilt.

There are no NT (or OT) occurrences of the terms “original sin,” “sin nature,” or even “sinfulness.” To be sure, “sin” is often employed as a substantive noun. NT references that are used in support of the concept of ontological sinfulness seem to be almost entirely Pauline, particularly in Romans.

The basis of Orthodox soteriology seems to be that the sins of humanity are forgiven (aphiemi: released, dismissed, cancelled), and salvation is now the process of allowing sanctification to come to fruition (sanctification/salvation is a process in Orthodoxy, not an event, perhaps like the process of healing after one has been injured). In Orthodoxy, the “fall” did not result in any ontological “sin nature,” since humanity did not lose its ontological nature as “image of God”—what was damaged was humanity’s “likeness” to God, that is, our ability to live a life of holiness. In this schema, the word “sin” takes on its original meaning as error or failure, and does not become strictly “transgression.” Again, Orthodox soteriology is about healing (iaomai), rather than about being redeemed from the guilt of any ontologically inherited sinfulness.

I’ll have to leave it all at that, and let others argue it out as they will—I now have other things to do.

NOTE: The Greek word translated as salvation (soterias) means to cure or make well, as well as to rescue or deliver. Orthodoxy clearly favors the former senses.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 04:24
    Originally posted by telerion
    Jesus gave his physical life so that we might be saved. Many people have sacrificed their physical life for another.

Judas gave up his eternal spiritual life so that we might be saved (after all somebody had to betray Christ).

Judas' sacrifice was much greater because as you said yourself the eternal is all that matters.
    Judas gave up his life out of guilt, Peter too had guilt and went to
    where we all can recieve forgiveness. What Judas did he did not do
    so that you or anyone else could be saved eternally or any other way.
    Kelly
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 18:21
    Judas gave up his life out of guilt, Peter too had guilt and went to
    where we all can recieve forgiveness. What Judas did he did not do
    so that you or anyone else could be saved eternally or any other way.
    Kelly
    Judas was called by God to betray Jesus. It was all part of God's plan. Some human had to betray Christ. If not Judas, then who?
    Judas knew the Son of God first-person. He understood what his crime would mean. He gave up his claim to spiritual life for our sake. Now he writhes in agony in the flames of Hell with no hope of solace.

Judas became God's eternal b*tch so that we might live. Jesus just had a bad day or two. Thank you Judas Iscariot for your precious sacrifice, and thank you too Jesus for your small contribution.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 20:04
    Judas was called by God to betray Jesus. It was all part of God's plan. Some human had to betray Christ. If not Judas, then who?
    Judas knew the Son of God first-person. He understood what his crime would mean. He gave up his claim to spiritual life for our sake. Now he writhes in agony in the flames of Hell with no hope of solace.

Judas became ...[text shortened]... das Iscariot for your precious sacrifice, and thank you too Jesus for your small contribution.
    I can only imagine the pain in your life. Think of your family, at least.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 21:39
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I can only imagine the pain in your life. Think of your family, at least.
    I don't just sit on the fence. I straddle it so that my feet are placed on both extremes.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 22:04

Judas became ...[text shortened]... das Iscariot for your precious sacrifice, and thank you too Jesus for your small contribution.
    So the only way Jesus could have made the ultimate sacrifice would have been to sin and be damned like Judas? So the only way to make a true sacrifice is to do the wrong thing?

Your post makes it sound as though Judas did not have a will in the matter. I happen to disagree, however. Granted, God knew what he would do. I prefer not to go down the road of free will due to the fact we have been down it many, many times. We can agree to disagree.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 04:02

Had he understood his crime he would not have done it, nor would
    Satan have been moving him towards that end either. Even where
    he was after his crime he avoided going to God for forgiveness,
    instead he let his guilt drive him into despair and to suicide, neither
    position a place of sacrifice for others; he had a debt he could not
    pay and it destroyed him.
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 04:28
    ...he let his guilt drive him into despair and to suicide...
    This is another Biblical contradiction, KellyJay. According to St Luke (Acts 1:18),
    Now this man acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness; and falling headlong,
    he burst open in the middle and all his bowls gushed out

The verb 'burst open' (elakesen) does not mean 'burst himself open' but, instead
    that his middle (mesos) burst open, as something filled too full.

Just a little footnote.

Nemesio
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 12:15
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    This is another Biblical contradiction, KellyJay. According to St Luke (Acts 1:18),
    Now this man acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness; and falling headlong,
    he burst open in the middle and all his bowls gushed out

The verb 'burst open' (elakesen) does not mean 'burst himself open' but, instead
    that his middle (mesos) burst open, as something filled too full.

Just a little footnote.

Nemesio
    Yeah, it's a physical impossibility for a rope to break under the strain of a writhing human body. What were the authors thinking? Where were the editors?
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 13:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    So the only way Jesus could have made the ultimate sacrifice would have been to sin and be damned like Judas? So the only way to make a true sacrifice is to do the wrong thing?

Your post makes it sound as though Judas did not have a will in the matter. I happen to disagree, however. Granted, God knew what he would do. I prefer not to go down the road of free will due to the fact we have been down it many, many times. We can agree to disagree.
    No, Jesus did not have to sin to make the 'ultimate sacrifice.' He only had to make the greatest sacrifice. Under KJ's standard only the eternal matters, so Christ's sacrifice (in terms of what was given up, not what was gained) was infintesimally small. Judas chose to be the betrayer so that all mankind could be saved and this cost him his eternal spiritual life. What greater thing can a person sacrifice than their eternal life???
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 13:49
    Had he understood his crime he would not have done it, nor would
    Satan have been moving him towards that end either. Even where
    he was after his crime he avoided going to God for forgiveness,
    instead he let his guilt drive him into despair and to suicide, neither
    position a place of sacrifice for others; he had a debt he could not
    pay and it destroyed him.
    Kelly
    First of all, you don't know that he did not understand his crime. You are interpreting the passages as am I. Even steven.

It is sad that he did not repent beforehand, but then how could he have known what to do in the interim between lamb sacrifice and Christ rising from the dead? This makes him a tragic hero in my eyes. So much greatness, but just missed his opportunity in the end. Now he suffers continuously for us.

If you think about it Judas was damned either way because Jesus called him out among the disciples and proclaimed that Judas would betray him. If Judas didn't do it, he would have made a mockery out of Christ. He couldn't do that. So he faithfully played his part, at an inestimable cost to himself.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 14:00
    First of all, you don't know that he did not understand his crime. You are interpreting the passages as am I. Even steven.

It is sad that he did not repent beforehand, but then how could he have known what to do in the interim between lamb sacrifice and Christ rising from the dead? This makes him a tragic hero in my eyes. So much greatness, but jus ...[text shortened]... . He couldn't do that. So he faithfully played his part, at an inestimable cost to himself.
    He betrayed someone who did him no harm, he stole from the money
    bags while walking with Christ during the time Jesus was teaching and
    showing the world who Christ was right before his eyes. When he
    understood what he had done and there was no denying his evil
    deeds he hung himself. Peter also denied Christ and repented, this
    was taking place the same time Judas was going through what he was
    going through. If you want to admire Judas, do so, but do not think
    to many others will join you.
    Kelly
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 14:43
    You have painted an exaggerated picture of Judas. No doubt you have listened to long to the teachings of men who have poisoned the legacy of Judas. It is no surprise that these deny the Book of Judas, which along with the cannonical gospels supports my position.

If you want to admire Judas, do so, but do not think
    to many others will join you.

Many choose the path of unrighteousness, but a few of us take the straight and narrow. I will boldy go forth. Persecute me if you must.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree