1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 19:22
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Is that so, KM!?
    So, you in person and the Christians of your denomination are "truly born by God" Christians and therefore "righteous", whilst everybody else, which is not "truly born by God" Christian, is not righteous! Righteousness has nothing to do with one's "religion". It has to do with one's actions -the rest is pure dead delusion.

I would l ...[text shortened]... ough, or with a Hinduist or an atheist or with a Christian of another denomination
    😵
    How about us having a "decent" conversation then?
  2. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 19:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    In another thread Zahlanzi said this:
    [b]it can be argued that those are not christians. it isn't sufficient to say "i believe in Christ" to be a christian. one has to act like it as well.

and it got me thinking:
    1. Are all Christians perfect in their behavior? Or can it be argued that there is nobody who fully 'acts like a Christian'?
    2. What amo ...[text shortened]... ristian manner but is not doing so due to some miss-understanding, is he not a Christian?[/b]
    Christ never said that we as christian that we have to be perfect. If we were perfect we would be without sin (like Jesus). So our job is not to be perfect but, to strive to be pure. What can God forgive you of if your perfect. That means you no longer sin. The Bible says that our rightousness is like a filthy rag to God. That's our rightousness not the wicked. So just strive to be pure, the perfect one (Jesus) was already here. God Bless
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 19:52
    Originally posted by realeyez
    Christ never said that we as christian that we have to be perfect. If we were perfect we would be without sin (like Jesus). So our job is not to be perfect but, to strive to be pure. What can God forgive you of if your perfect. That means you no longer sin. The Bible says that our rightousness is like a filthy rag to God. That's our rightousness not the wicked. So just strive to be pure, the perfect one (Jesus) was already here. God Bless
    Actually Jesus does say this.

Matthew 5:48
    "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."
  4. Illinois
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 20:033 edits
    [b]it can be argued that those are not christians. it isn't sufficient to say "i believe in Christ" to be a christian. one has to act like it as well.

and it got me thinking:
    1. Are all Christians perfect in their behavior? Or can it be argued that there is nobody who fully 'acts like a Christian'?
    2. What amo ristian manner but is not doing so due to some miss-understanding, is he not a Christian?[/b]
    What amount of unChristian behavior is required before the label "Christian" can no-longer be applied to someone?

I can think of three behaviors which define, more than any other behaviors, a Christian's life in general, regardless of denomination:

(1) Good works
    (2) Worship
    (3) Holiness (overcoming sin)

All three of these behaviors must exist in a Christian's life in order for that individual to be rightly called a "Christian," regardless of what he or she may claim to believe. Each is an adjunct of faith and evidence that the Spirit of God is at work in an individual's heart (inspiring holy and commendable activity).

If these behaviors were at one time prevalent in an individual's life and at present no longer exist, their lack cannot necessarily be said to imply that he or she is no longer a Christian, since these may ebb and flow throughout a Christian's life, i.e., they may return, if a genuine faith is present. However, if the cessation of such Christian behavior is also accompanied by a resolute denial of the Gospel and a rejection of Christian fellowship, then I think it could be said that an individual is no longer "Christian".

If someone believes in God, and Christ and believes that he is behaving in a Christian manner but is not doing so due to some miss-understanding, is he not a Christian?

It depends upon what behaviors he or she consistently manifests. Hateful behavior, for instance, is absolutely contrary to Christ's teaching. A Christian is responsible for knowing what is or is not required of him or her, thus Paul's call to examine oneself and make sure that a genuine faith is present, "for we cannot do anything against the truth" (2 Corinthians 13:8). If a healthy faith exists in the heart of an individual, he or she cannot "do anything against the truth" of scripture - consciously or unconsciously.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 20:05
    Thank you all for the interesting comments.
  6. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 21:52
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Can you tell everyone how you know, who is and is not a Christian?
    Is it everyone who says they are, are Christians and that is that?
    Kelly
    Christians have been arguing about who is one and who isn't, what they believe, how they believe, what writings to believe, and who runs the place, since Jesus died. There is no new pattern here.

Case in point.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 23:45
    Originally posted by Badwater
    [b]Christians have been arguing about who is one and who isn't, what they believe, how they believe, what writings to believe, and who runs the place, since Jesus died. There is no new pattern here.

Case in point.[/b]
    its very simple, really it is, a christian is someone who follows the teachings of Christ, and twithead you bad ol putty cat, where is my apology!
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    22 Nov '08 07:06
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    How about us having a "decent" conversation then?
    Sure thing; then, whenever you feel up to it, create a thread regarding this issue, my friend KM, in order to hijack not this one. I am ready for a conversation and not for preaching though.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Nov '08 16:04

and it got me thinking:
    2. What amo ...[text shortened]... ristian manner but is not doing so due to some miss-understanding, is he not a Christian?[/b]
    "1. Are all Christians perfect in their behavior? Or can it be argued that there is nobody who fully 'acts like a Christian'?"

And what would one that is perfect act like? Jesus maybe?
    Only Jesus was perfect.

"2. What amount of unChristian behavior is required before the label "Christian" can no-longer be applied to someone?"

Anyone can call themself a Christian, but only those who have trusted in what Christ did at the cross on their behalf are truely Christian. No amount of sin or anything else can seperate a saved person from Christ. "Where sin did abound, grace did all the more abound." "Shall we sin therefore that grace may abound, God forbid".

"3. If you know someone who consistently behaves in an unChristian manner can you safely declare him a non-Christian?"

No. As a Christian one can either choose to "walk after the spirit" or "walk after the flesh". But walking after the flesh does not cause one to "lose" their salvation. But they will have to deal with the consequences. "God will not be mocked, what a man sows, that shall he also reap". That goes for believers as well as non-believers.

"4. If someone believes in God, and Christ and believes that he is behaving in a Christian manner but is not doing so due to some miss-understanding, is he not a Christian?"

There's no such thing as a non-Christain Christian. One is or isn't.
    It is possible to bring reproach upon the name of Christ. It's a shame to think of how many people have rejected Christ because of the behaviour of someone that calls himself a Christian. The one who judges Christ on account of the conduct of a so-called Christian should reexamine the issue.
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Nov '08 17:00
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"1. Are all Christians perfect in their behavior? Or can it be argued that there is nobody who fully 'acts like a Christian'?"

And what would one that is perfect act like? Jesus maybe?
    Only Jesus was perfect.

"2. What amount of unChristian behavior is required before the label "Christian" can no-longer be applied to someone?"

Anyone ...[text shortened]... t of the conduct of a so-called Christian should reexamine the issue.[/b]
    Who are your favorite Christians on the site? Who do you respect?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Nov '08 17:47
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Who are your favorite Christians on the site? Who do you respect?
    You are my favorite Kirk! 😉
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Nov '08 17:59
    Originally posted by josephw
    You are my favorite Kirk! 😉
    Please! Don't ruin my weekend with your flattery. Plus, I voted for Obama. What good Christian would do such a thing?
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '08 23:38
    Please! Don't ruin my weekend with your flattery. Plus, I voted for Obama. What good Christian would do such a thing?
    heathen!
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Nov '08 06:32
    Presumably Obama did, or is he not a good Christian?
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '08 10:09
    Presumably Obama did, or is he not a good Christian?
    rumors are that he is a muslim and an al-qaeda member.

meh, just an example of some american's bigotry.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree