1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 12:241 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I don't believe they are really very similar.

Hope: The general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled.

Faith: A cause for belief with no necessary basis in fact.

or to use Lucifershammer's definition for comparrison: trust in the truth of something we do not know for certain

So 'hope' never has 'no necessary basis in fact'?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 12:28
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    So 'hope' is never has 'no necessary basis in fact'?
    I'm not quite sure what this sentence means.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 12:33
    I'm not quite sure what this sentence means.
    Sorry it was a typo that I edited:

In other words, is hope always based on a fact?

4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 12:381 edit
    Sorry it was a typo that I edited:

In other words, is hope always based on a fact?

Fact is immaterial to hope, it can be or cannot be, fact is not a defining part of the concept of hope.
  5. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    06 May '05 13:10
    Fact is immaterial to hope, it can be or cannot be, fact is not a defining part of the concept of hope.
    All facts are socially informed norms.

And as such have at their root vague principles like hope and faith.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 13:17
    As I see it your faith is disguised as 'hope'. You believe in something for sure. Everybody does. In order to believe anything that is not a fact requires faith.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 13:21
    As I see it your faith is disguised as 'hope'. You believe in something for sure. Everybody does. In order to believe anything that is not a fact requires faith.
    My faith in what exactly? And how is it disguised? What makes you say I believe in something (I presume you mean supernatural)? Does Everyobody really? How do you know this?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 13:29
    My faith in what exactly? And how is it disguised? What makes you say I believe in something (I presume you mean supernatural)? Does Everyobody really? How do you know this?
    I mean you must believe somethings that are not a fact. e.g. If you get into a car you will arrive safely at your destination. If is not a fact but surely you believe so, else you would never get into a car.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 13:51
    I mean you must believe somethings that are not a fact. e.g. If you get into a car you will arrive safely at your destination. If is not a fact but surely you believe so, else you would never get into a car.
    Belief in something like getting into a car and expecting to arrive at one's destination is based on experience. We are all aware that we might not arrive safely, but the odss are it will happen. Belief in the supernatural however is not based on anything other than faith. The two are very different forms of belief
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 14:24
    Belief in something like getting into a car and expecting to arrive at one's destination is based on experience. We are all aware that we might not arrive safely, but the odss are it will happen. Belief in the supernatural however is not based on anything other than faith. The two are very different forms of belief
    Are you implying that it is impossible to experience the supernatural?

I strongly suggest you read this link: http://www.aglimpseofeternity.org/testimony.htm
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 14:36
    Are you implying that it is impossible to experience the supernatural?

I strongly suggest you read this link: http://www.aglimpseofeternity.org/testimony.htm
    I'm implying the supernatural does not exist.

Having read that I am not in the least convinced that it has anything to do with the supernatural.
  12. Joined
    16 Jul '04
    Moves
    11 May '05 04:58
    No-one really cares?
    How rude. I was just trying to add something new in keeping with the thread title rather than turning this into yet another creation vs evolution debate.
  13. NY
    Moves
    11 May '05 06:54
    Originally posted by Peter X
    How rude. I was just trying to add something new in keeping with the thread title rather than turning this into yet another creation vs evolution debate.
    Thats hopeless you know..lol.. good luck though..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree