1. London
    Moves
    05 May '05 14:57
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I can't as I do not have the knowledge, I am not an evolutionary scientist. But that does not take away from the fact that in the future such a method may be disovered. It is not faith at all, but an opinion based on the fact that the natural laws of the universe are measureable and the more research done, the closer we get to a full picture of it.

EDIT: I agree this is departing from the title of the thread.
    Isn't this faith?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 May '05 15:25
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Isn't this faith?
    I do not believe so, I would call it hope. I would define faith as a cause for belief with no necessary basis in fact, perhaps we have differing definitions.
  3. London
    Moves
    05 May '05 15:32
    I do not believe so, I would call it hope. I would define faith as a cause for belief with no necessary basis in fact, perhaps we have differing definitions.
    Perhaps. I define faith as trust in the truth of something we do not know for certain.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 May '05 17:38
    Faith is defined in the dictionary as "Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence."

Evolution has neither logical proof nor material evidence.
  5. Joined
    20 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 May '05 19:46
    You know, when I started this thread, all I really wanted to know was was anyone had ever seen a ghost.
    Or a vampire for that matter.
    Signed a weary TrollGirl28
  6. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    05 May '05 21:00

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    16 Jul '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 05:29
    Originally posted by TrollGirl28
    You know, when I started this thread, all I really wanted to know was was anyone had ever seen a ghost.
    I agree with TrollGirl28. About a week ago I asked the question whether anybody had seen a ghost/etc with their own eyes, and not one of RHP's 75000 users has answered. This suggests one of four possibilities:
    1) Ghosts don't exist.
    2) Ghosts are very rare.
    3) Ghosts don't show themselves to people very often.
    4) Anyone who has seen a ghost is scared to admit it in case they are ridiculed.
    Are there any other possibilities?
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 08:24
    Originally posted by Peter X

Are there any other possibilities?
    No-one really cares?
  9. Bible Basher HQ
    Moves
    06 May '05 08:28
    people just can't be arsed posting it because they think noone will believe them? which is highly likely given the amount of skeptics on here. Also hardly anyone reads the spirituality forum so theres another one.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 09:27
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Faith is defined in the dictionary as "Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence."

Evolution has neither logical proof nor material evidence.
    Even if I subscribed to this definition, I do not believe in the Theory of Evolution. I believe that it is possible for it to one day be proven and this belief does not rest on faith.

To say there is no material evidence is just plain wrong. Whether that evidence constitutes proof is debateable of course, but there is certainly a great deal of evidence.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 10:26
    Even if I subscribed to this definition, I do not believe in the Theory of Evolution. I believe that it is possible for it to one day be proven and this belief does not rest on faith.

To say there is no material evidence is just plain wrong. Whether that evidence constitutes proof is debateable of course, but there is certainly a great deal of evidence.
    Well its good to hear that you don't believe in the Theory of Evolution.

Well how then do you believe we got here?
  12. London
    Moves
    06 May '05 10:311 edit
    Originally posted by TrollGirl28
    Who wants to talk about ghosts and vampires when we can talk about our favourite topics - evolution/creationism, heaven/hell etc etc.

And no, I haven't seen ghosts or vampires (except on TV and in movies). I thought I once felt the presence of my dead grandpa when I was about eight, but I must've imagined it.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 10:471 edit
    Well its good to hear that you don't believe in the Theory of Evolution.

Well how then do you believe we got here?
    I hope that evolution is correct as I can see sense in the ideas it presents. At the moment however, I do not know where we came from, I think it likely that evolution is possible, but I cannot say for sure.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 11:49
    I hope that evolution is correct as I can see sense in the ideas it presents. At the moment however, I do not know where we came from, I think it likely that evolution is possible, but I cannot say for sure.
    Where do you draw the line between hope and faith?
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 12:01
    Where do you draw the line between hope and faith?
    I don't believe they are really very similar.

Hope: The general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled.

Faith: A cause for belief with no necessary basis in fact.

or to use Lucifershammer's definition for comparrison: trust in the truth of something we do not know for certain

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree