Vatican accuses Amnesty of immorality

Vatican accuses Amnesty of immorality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
19 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by whiterose
And I'm just trying to point out that the churche's position on abortion is hypocritical given its history, and is in fact simply another way to attempt to subjugate women.
More feminist plonk.

l

London

Moves
19 Jun 07

no
Why not? Are you telling me that you support the Government in its bid to override her right to choose what she does with her body?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by lucifershammer
More feminist plonk.
What percentage of priests ordained by the Catholic Church are women?

How about for Bishops, Cardinals, and Popes?

w

Moves
19 Jun 07

Why not? Are you telling me that you support the Government in its bid to override her right to choose what she does with her body?
I thought we were talking about the baby. She can do whatever she wants to her own body. That doesn't necessarily mean that she can do whatever she wants to someone else's body.

w

Moves
19 Jun 07

More feminist plonk.
I see. So when you can't actually contradict an arguement you resort to very poor atempts to dismiss it. Sad.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
19 Jun 07

More feminist plonk.
Yes. I'm sure that will go down well in rational society.

Moves
20 Jun 07
1 edit

OK I see now this discussion has now became focused on pro-life versus pro-choice, but nethertheless I will also point out Catholics within some parishes are called to boycott the two charities 'Chlidren in Need' and 'Comic Relief' in which money raised is used to fund abortions.

As one of the policys of Comic Relief is to stop third world hunger by lowering the demand for food by decreasing the population. The Catholic Church with their belief in the Sanctity of LIfe Principle believe the supply of food would be an area better focused on.

w

Moves
20 Jun 07
2 edits

[b]Since intelligence is measured by the abilities of your brain, which is part of your nervous system, I don't think that this is possible.

What constitutes intelligence is a very separate question from how it is facilitated in a particular instance. With humans it involves a biological nervous system, sure. With other species/life-forms it si e right to vote while the 18-yr old citizen of a state with a minimum voting age of 18 is?[/b]
What constitutes intelligence is a very separate question from how it is facilitated in a particular instance. With humans it involves a biological nervous system, sure. With other species/life-forms it simply needn't.

As I already said, intelligence is measured by the abilities of your brain. If you want to use some other definition of intelligence, you will have to explain what it is before you ask me whether organisms possessing it have rights.

So, an 18-yr old citizen of a state that has a minimum voting age of 21 is not old enough to handle the responsibility of the right to vote while the 18-yr old citizen of a state with a minimum voting age of 18 is?

yes. The citizens of society decide for themselves on when things like the right and responsibility of voting should be granted. Really any line you draw for a right like voting is bound to be arbitrary on some level (17 vs 18). However, they are necessary to avoid things like a two year old having the right to vote, when they clearly are not ready for the responsibility.

w

Moves
20 Jun 07

[b]yes. Especially when use use this belief as an excuse for why women should be second class citizens.

Exactly how is the Christian use of masculine language for God used as an excuse for women being second class citizens?

Ever heard of the crusades?Inquisition?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Church

The Inquisitio ...[text shortened]... to the child growing in the womb as a "parasite"😉 render those accusations rather hollow.[/b]
Exactly how is the Christian use of masculine language for God used as an excuse for women being second class citizens?

A man controls the world and makes the rules, so women should just obey. Why else would women not be allowed any positions of power?

The Crusades were wars (in a sense), but defending your territory and civilisation against armed aggression and annexation is not "starting a war". Bad example; try again.

I don't really care how you want to define war. Both the crusades and the inquisition involved catholics killing lots of people in the name of the church. How is it not hypocrisy, then, to condemn abortion?

In this case, it does. Or are you going to tell me that organisms do not exist with undifferentiated cells?

An organism with undifferentiated cells does not equal an organism with differentiated cells.

There is a distinct possibility of death when having sex -- do you propose humans stop doing that as well?

You certainly have the right to choose to stop having sex if you want to, it's your body. The same thing applies to pregnancy and abortion.

]b]For all the accusations of misogyny you level at Christianity, your views above (and previously, in referring to the child growing in the womb as a "parasite"😉 render those accusations rather hollow.[/b]

How so? I am simply pointing out the fact that a fetus fits the definition of a parasite and that pregnancy is dangerous. I fail to see how this is misogynistic.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
20 Jun 07

LH,

I understand what you are saying. You are saying that a facet of Amnesty International funds an
institution which you find immoral and repugnant. And, while they do a lot of good that other groups
cannot do and while the restrictions on them are pretty severe, they still fund what you consider evil.
I get this.

Can you then understand why American Roman Catholics would be reluctant to continue to give money
to the Church, despite the good She does, because it is evident that She protected pedophiles rather
than turning them over to the police for prosecution, and continues to deny this?

Nemesio

Cape Town

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by Nemesio
Can you then understand why American Roman Catholics would be reluctant to continue to give money
to the Church, despite the good She does, because it is evident that She protected pedophiles rather
than turning them over to the police for prosecution, and continues to deny this?

Nemesio
And similarly, how do you deal with a government that has some good and some bad policies?

l

London

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
What percentage of priests ordained by the Catholic Church are women?

How about for Bishops, Cardinals, and Popes?
What percentage of mothers are men? Wives? Daughters?

subjugate: To make subservient; enslave

Explain how the fact of male-reserved ordination "subjugates" women.

(Btw, there is no canonical impediment to women being cardinals. I fully expect one within the next few years)

l

London

Moves
20 Jun 07

I thought we were talking about the baby. She can do whatever she wants to her own body. That doesn't necessarily mean that she can do whatever she wants to someone else's body.
She isn't actually doing anything to the child's body -- it's not like she's stabbing it with a knife or anything.

Why does the Government have the right to force her body to take care of (directly or indirectly) the child's?

l

London

Moves
20 Jun 07
1 edit

I see. So when you can't actually contradict an arguement you resort to very poor atempts to dismiss it. Sad.
You haven't actually made an argument (look up what the word means). You've stated your opinion -- I've responded with mine.

l

London

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by shavixmir
Yes. I'm sure that will go down well in rational society.
No worse than a stream of obscenities and calls for lions at the Colliseum.