1. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 22:121 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The Church's concern for social justice is the only thing that continues to justify their existence. Indeed, it is the primary thing that they should be concerning themselves with.
    Hooray!

I knew that an organization with global control, which exists to distribute social justice and wealth, would be right up your alley!

I just.... I .... I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Thanks for representing me and the rest of the 99%, partner!
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 22:39
    The Church's concern for social justice is the only thing that continues to justify their existence. Indeed, it is the primary thing that they should be concerning themselves with.
    We are all concerned about "justice" Rwingett. The question is only how and at what cost?

Christians who abandon a Christ centered focus in favor of a statist man centered focus are all doomed as those who followed the likes of Stalin and Mao. Mankind will be corrupted by their power, so the question begs, why give them increasing power over us?
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 22:461 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    We are all concerned about "justice" Rwingett. The question is only how and at what cost?

Christians who abandon a Christ centered focus in favor of a statist man centered focus are all doomed as those who followed the likes of Stalin and Mao. Mankind will be corrupted by their power, so the question begs, why give them increasing power over us?
    Once corporate power has been crushed, then I'd be all for doing away with state power. It is the former that poses the greatest threat to humanity.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 22:49
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Hooray!

I knew that an organization with global control, which exists to distribute social justice and wealth, would be right up your alley!

I just.... I .... I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Thanks for representing me and the rest of the 99%, partner!
    It isn't right up my alley, but I do respect Christianity's emphasis on social justice. I haven't seen any economists marching with the Occupy movement, but there have been several priests. That is to their credit.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 22:58
    Congrats to your Saints by the way. And I was glad to see that my Falcons won by a respectable margin and didn't play down to the Colts' level.
    What's wrong with America's Team, the Cowboys?
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 23:11
    It isn't right up my alley, but I do respect Christianity's emphasis on social justice. I haven't seen any economists marching with the Occupy movement, but there have been several priests. That is to their credit.
    What about Jeffrey Sachs, Paul Krugman, Amartya Sen and Robert Reich? All economists and each a vocal supporter of the OWS protests...
  7. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 23:19
    Krugman is a supporter?

You mean the radical left-wing idealogue who spins his heartfelt hatred writing columns for a liberal rag?

And Sachs is a supporter? Is this before or after the mob demonstrated in front of his building, announcing he is "guilty of felony fraud, violating security laws, perjury before a Senate commission and the theft of $78 billion in taxpayer money."
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 23:29
    Originally posted by bbarr
    What about Jeffrey Sachs, Paul Krugman, Amartya Sen and Robert Reich? All economists and each a vocal supporter of the OWS protests...
    They don't march, though.
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 23:34
    Krugman is a supporter?

You mean the radical left-wing idealogue who spins his heartfelt hatred writing columns for a liberal rag?

And Sachs is a supporter? Is this before or after the mob demonstrated in front of his building, announcing he is "guilty of felony fraud, violating security laws, perjury before a Senate commission and the theft of $78 billion in taxpayer money."
    Yes.

No, you must have Krugman mistaken for a figment of your troglodytic imagination.

Yes.

Um, I think you're thinking of a different guy. Citation?
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 23:42
    They don't march, though.
    Sachs was in Zucotti Park on Oct. 15th, and gave an impromptu speech.

YouTube

Krugman has visited, but apparently has a principled reason not to participate; he cites some obscure distinction between being an advocate and an activist. I guess he feels he's doing his part with two columns a week in the NYT.

Robert Reich has visited and spoke at Occupy L.A. protests.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 00:05
    Sachs was in Zucotti Park on Oct. 15th, and gave an impromptu speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB_eoUqbKDw

Krugman has visited, but apparently has a principled reason not to participate; he cites some obscure distinction between being an advocate and an activist. I guess he feels he's doing his part with two columns a week in the NYT.

Robert Reich has visited and spoke at Occupy L.A. protests.
    OK, OK, I guess not ALL economists are scum of the earth Quislings. Just don't tell Palynka I said that, though.
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 00:07
    OK, OK, I guess not ALL economists are scum of the earth Quislings. Just don't tell Palynka I said that, though.
    Mums the word! Where is Palynka, anyway? He's got some responding to do!
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 00:081 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/10/24/vatican-economy-idUKL5E7LO1LS20111024

Don't get too exited!! This is not a thread about the Catholic church dealing with its pedofile problems. No, instead it appears that the Vatican is becoming increasingly political. The Vatican has called for sweeping reforms of the world economy and the creation of an ethica ight hold up signs advocating for my position would be greatly appreciated. 😀
    First, it should not be surprising that the Vatican is not a neo-liberal organisation. Historically, the Catholic Church has always sided with workers and trade unions. It is only in recent times that there have been prominent Catholic Torries, Liberals or Republicans. The Catholic Church has had to be wary of too close an alliance with Communist parties, which is why in Australia the Labor Party was torn in half, but since the industrial revolution its sympathies have always been with the lower class.

Second, whatever Reuters says, this is not the Vatican speaking. The Vatican comprises of many bodies. The one concerned here is actually the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace. While documents coming from the Council likely reflect the opinion of the Vatican, they are not the same thing as a papal encyclical.

Third, an English translation of this document has not been released, so I will refrain from commenting of any particulars of this document. I doubt however that the Vatican takes a sympathetic attitude to the Wall Street Occupiers, not necessarily because the OWS do not have a genuine point but because they have not clearly articulated any specific objectives and the Catholic Church would not make a hasty alliance with the left-wing.

Fourth, I will just address a snide comment you made about the Vatican wealth. How this could be an example of corporate greed is beyond me. It is not as if the Vatican sells this artworks and reeps in profit. The Vatican is constantly requiring donations to support its conservation efforts. It is always at a loss. I think the Vatican takes the attitude that its relationship to its art is one of stewardship not ownership. It is hardly akin to CEOs who own several private mansions, yaughts and planes and do not share these with the public.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 00:17
    Mums the word! Where is Palynka, anyway? He's got some responding to do!
    Haven't seen him around in a while. Maybe the madness finally got to him.
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 00:24
    Haven't seen him around in a while. Maybe the madness finally got to him.
    Perhaps he has ascended to become pure reason, or is now residing with the Platonic Forms.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree