victim culture

victim culture

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
26 Oct 19

@kellyjay said
I thought it very thought provoking.
Can you provide a summary of what the video says? Then one can decide whether to allocate an hour to watching it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Oct 19

kellyJay, I will take my thoughts on a lot of what this video talked about to your thread on Revelation.

It is relevant to the church being a kind of anti-testimony over against the society of the world. The world society is in decay and degradation. The local churches as expressions of God and man living are to be shinning lampstands in the dark night of the age testifying of Christ's salvation from the multitude of things plaguing human society.

The kingdom people are to be, according to Jesus, "the salt of the earth".

This means something in the earth holding back the rottenness from completely consuming the earth. A city on a hill, a light, a lampstand, a preservative of salt to arrest the total spoiling of the human kind.

Perhaps we can see "overcoming" as opposed to victimization in the Body of Christ, is God's will.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 19

@sonship said
kellyJay, I will take my thoughts on a lot of what this video talked about to your thread on Revelation.

It is relevant to the church being a kind of anti-testimony over against the society of the world. The world society is in decay and degradation. The local churches as expressions of God and man living are to be shinning lampstands in the dark night of the ag ...[text shortened]... aps we can see "overcoming" as opposed to victimization in the Body of Christ, is God's will.
Let me know when you get through the whole thing, I think if you break it into parts you can miss the message of the whole.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Oct 19

@KellyJay

Okay. Fair enough.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Oct 19
3 edits

KellyJay,

Okay, I just finished the video to the end and found it very good.

He brings in forgiveness as the remedy to victimization cultural attitude. Yet as you know it is more elaborate as he has a number of points.

The exposition of the prodigal son parable was key.

Now having said this, what I would say he is speaking about requires ... listen now ... requires another life which we really do not have. In the natural man this kind of forgiveness is hard and rare.

Who can forgive this way except the Son of God Himself? This brings me to my point about the good video. Christ, the FORGIVER, must be dispensed into man in order that the power, the ability, the enabling to carrying out this kind of forgiveness can flow from a man is vital.

The world at large will continue to go from this kind of culture to another kind to another kind until the antichrist and the end of the age.

We cannot stop that process from going on. We can come into the "ark" of Christ's salvation midst the "flood" coming upon the world. In the "ark" of the living Person of Jesus Christ we may be saved rather than swept away by the flood.

This we can do until the turning of this age into the next age of the millennial kingdom.

This is brief.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 19

@sonship said
KellyJay,

He brings in forgiveness as the remedy to victimization cultural attitude. Yet as you know it is more elaborate as he has a number of points.

Now having said this, what I would say he is speaking about requires ... list ...[text shortened]... an do until the turning of this age into the next age of the millennial kingdom.

This is brief.
I'm glad you liked it, I recall listening to Corrie Ten Boom once talk about how she met in a church in Munich, a German prison guard from Ravensbrück concentration camp that she remembered. Seeing him she recalled all the horrible things he had done, and he came up to her telling her that he was now a Christian. He told her he had asked God to find someone from the camp so he could ask them for their forgiveness to and he held out his hand to her.

I recall as she shared the struggle within her, she couldn't do it, he had treated her and her sister with such cruelty while in prison. Yet, she asked God for His grace, and through Christ she could forgive him and did. Powerful testimony, I've heard more than a few like that. Grace when we receive it and when we give it sets us free, we no longer are victims but overcomers.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 19

@sonship said
KellyJay,

Now having said this, what I would say he is speaking about requires ... list ...[text shortened]... an do until the turning of this age into the next age of the millennial kingdom.

This is brief.
I agree too, there is a lot there he talks about I found interesting.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Oct 19
3 edits

@KellyJay

My wife read all of Corrie Ten Boom's books.

I saw the movie "The Hiding Place" and recall her and her sister's terrible suffering of oppression in the German concentration camp. As best as a re-enacted dramatization can do, the point was made strongly to me.

It was virtually impossible for them to forgive what was happening to them. Yet I think she prevailed in Jesus Christ.

In another post I will recount perhaps what I read in the biography of Sojourner Truth, a freed American slave. The account was memorable.

Moves
26 Oct 19

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 19

@sonship said
@KellyJay

I saw the movie "The Hiding Place" and recall her and her sister's terrible suffering of oppression in the German concentration camp. As best as a re-enacted dramatization can do, the point was made strongly to me.

It was virtually impossible for them to forgive what was happening to them. Yet I think sh ...[text shortened]... what I read in the biography of Sojourner Truth, a freed American slave. The account was memorable.
Looking forward to see the account.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 19

@sonship said
@KellyJay

It was virtually impossible for them to forgive what was happening to them. Yet I think sh ...[text shortened]... what I read in the biography of Sojourner Truth, a freed American slave. The account was memorable.
You can look up Corrie on Youtube as well and watch her share. Its hard to put into words the things she went through and see the love and grace in her life.

F

Moves
27 Oct 19

@kellyjay said
I agree too, there is a lot there he talks about I found interesting.
Can you distil what it was that you found interesting?

F

Moves
27 Oct 19

@bigdoggproblem said
Apathy is the cure.

The "false victim" act only works if people cannot recognize and ignore it.
OP: Is there a cure for today’s victim culture?

The candidacy and presidency of Donald Trump is clearly a product of "victim culture" in the U.S.

I wonder whether any of the American Christians here - especially those who mught support him or who voted for him - believe that he is providing the "cure" in the sense that the word is used in the OP?

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
27 Oct 19

@kellyjay said
[youtube]9g1GzId_HKc[/youtube]

Is there a cure for today’s victim culture? | Michael Ramsden
53 minutes 30 sec

I put this in the culture Forum no interest, I find this fascinating and wonder if any here would listen and given their opinion?
Mel Gibson’s Apocalypto are victims of a culture

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Oct 19
3 edits

@KellyJay

Looking forward to see the account.

Sojouner Truth's slave name, I think, was Esabella. When she was a slave with a child a white slave master simply took her young child from her. There was nothing she could do.

When she wept profusely over the stealing from her of her child, her slave master's wife mocked her -

"Why are you so upset about a little pickanenny?" she jokingly taunted the broken hearted slave mother. Isabella prayed and asked God to judge the woman for her taunting.

Some time latter, that woman's daughter married a man. But he was a cruel man and killed the wife with a hammer. When the slave master's wife, the girl's mother, heard, her mind snapped. She went crazy.

Isabella held the woman in her hands as she cried out the name of her daughter repeatedly and hysterically.

Sojourner Truth (Isabella) said that when she saw this she ever after was very careful not to again ask God to judge someone. This is an account of a Christian who learned that the awesome judgment of God was better left to not request lightly or easily.

Seeing that she had such cause to be vindicated, it touched me. Afterward she looked to God for grace to forgive. I believe this testimony that I read in her biography.