Want a cookie? (God)

Want a cookie? (God)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Dec 08

Originally posted by SaintCathal
Zeus and God are the same to me, are they not? Bot Imaginary and Gods.
Only a moron or someone like Richard Dawkins could say something so inane as that.

S

Moves
26 Dec 08

Believing is not being proved anything, being promised a heaven and sanctuary? By who a figment of our imagination?

I rather rot then to live again, reason why I live now without regrets, I believe in one and one chance to live only.

rc

Moves
26 Dec 08
2 edits

Being Atheist isn't so bad, is it?

I'm alone half the time, what would being alone have anything to do with believing in Christ?

Zeus and God are the same to me, are they not? Bot Imaginary and Gods.

They have books written about them, why aren't we all greeks and worshiping thunder, water, whatever?

And by the way, I never had faith no to follow a trend of people.

Far too young and naive.

But cookies for the rest of you.
na na, atheists generally descend into insanity! take that bad ol putty cat Nietzsche for example, the father of the new morality. does he not serve as an example of the futility, unable to determine a moral code from his own mind and consciousness that was in any sense equal or better than the christian ethos which he abandoned after showing some quite good promise in his formative years, rather than face the truth, he chose to descend into insanity. try as he could, he could not ascend to the hoped for status of a god like one, alas oh cookie maker you may share the same fate, is it not worrying? for his example clearly demonstrates that it is evident that man cannot, i say it again, cannot live without recourse to the divine, thus the antithesis must be that God exists and has all the answers.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
26 Dec 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
na na, atheists generally descend into insanity! take that bad ol putty cat Nietzsche for example, the father of the new morality. does he not serve as an example of the futility, unable to determine a moral code from his own mind and consciousness that was in any sense equal or better than the christian ethos which he abandoned after showing some ...[text shortened]... out recourse to the divine, thus the antithesis must be that God exists and has all the answers.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

rc

Moves
26 Dec 08

Originally posted by Green Paladin
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell
lol, why does one associate intelligence with an inability to determine what is even right or wrong, and stupidity with those, for whatever reason can? give old Bertrand a cookie.

AH

Moves
26 Dec 08
4 edits

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
lol, why does one associate intelligence with an inability to determine what is even right or wrong, and stupidity with those, for whatever reason can? give old Bertrand a cookie.
…lol, why does one associate intelligence with an inability to determine what is even right or wrong, ..…

That is not what he meant. He wasn’t implying that intelligent people have an unusual inability to determine what is so but, rather, intelligent people have a greater ability to determine when we should be uncertain of what is so which is why they "are full of doubt".

…and stupidity with those, for whatever reason can?..…

Again, that is not what he meant. He wasn’t implying that stupid people have an unusual ability to determine what is so but rather stupid people tend to have too much certainty of what is so when and where they shouldn’t.

Although what is “intelligent” is a bit subjective, I would say that, by any stretch of the imagination, Bertrand Russell was intelligent (certainly more so than I) -especially regarding most of the things he said.

P.S. You wont believe this but the word “why” in your statement was marked as a spelling error by the spellchecker in Microsoft word on my computer!!! When I checked the alternative spelling it included “why“ as a valid word even though it was already this!!! And when I clicked that “why“ option it turned the spelling to “wwhy“!!!-I think it must be a bug -or am I being stupid for being cocksure of that?!
+ by a coincidence I think I may have just noticed that I may be going down with a bug myself right this very moment as I type this (and I have heard that there is a very nasty one going around in my area 🙁 ).

d

Break-twitching

Moves
26 Dec 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
Wow. What a compelling suggestion. Atheists should just believe in God, and then, once they truly believe, they will have proof.
Wow, that was a compelling observation. No proof is needed when one has faith. One cannot please God without faith, hence the foundation of Christianity. The truth shall be known to everyone in due time. Our finite emotions cannot handle the truth at this present stage; it would literally blow us away. The atheists have nothing to look forward to therefore they want to make everybody else with any hope as miserable as they are.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
26 Dec 08

Believing is not being proved anything, being promised a heaven and sanctuary? By who a figment of our imagination?

I rather rot then to live again, reason why I live now without regrets, I believe in one and one chance to live only.
How sad you will be when the day comes and you find out that you were wrong. If we Christians are wrong, then we have nothing to lose; we will rot in the ground alongside atheists. If atheists are wrong, then their corpses will rot and their souls will be forever dead with regret about how they lived. Think about, friend.

j

Moves
26 Dec 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Green Paladin

Bertrand Russell
Yea, Bertrand was one of those stupid and cocksure.

AH

Moves
26 Dec 08

Originally posted by dystoniac
How sad you will be when the day comes and you find out that you were wrong. If we Christians are wrong, then we have nothing to lose; we will rot in the ground alongside atheists. If atheists are wrong, then their corpses will rot and their souls will be forever dead with regret about how they lived. Think about, friend.
…If we Christians are wrong, then we have nothing to lose;..…

-except the rational understanding and awareness of reality.

…If atheists are wrong, then their corpses will rot and their souls will be forever dead with REGRET about how they lived...… (my emphasis)

How can a person feel “REGRET” if they are dead?

S

Moves
26 Dec 08

d

Break-twitching

Moves
26 Dec 08

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
[b]…If we Christians are wrong, then we have nothing to lose;..…

-except the rational understanding and awareness of reality.

…If atheists are wrong, then their corpses will rot and their souls will be forever dead with REGRET about how they lived...… (my emphasis)

How can a person feel “REGRET” if they are dead?[/b]
The physical body will die, but the soul is eternal, according to the Bible. One will be at eternal rest and joy if he believes in Jesus. The non-believer will NOT inherit the Kingdom of God but will dwell in eternal darkness, conscious for eternity, suffering damnation alongside satan and his demons. The sad part is that the non-believer will be able to relive his past mistakes, but he will be separated from God, and salvation, for all eternity.

AH

Moves
26 Dec 08
1 edit

Originally posted by jaywill
Yea, Bertrand was one of those stupid and cocksure.
In what way was he “stupid”?

Is there anything specific he said/wrote that you would say is "stupid"?

Calling him “stupid” is a bit like calling Einstein “stupid” -both men where far more intelligent than me or you.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
26 Dec 08

AH

Moves
26 Dec 08

Originally posted by dystoniac
The physical body will die, but the soul is eternal, according to the Bible. One will be at eternal rest and joy if he believes in Jesus. The non-believer will NOT inherit the Kingdom of God but will dwell in eternal darkness, conscious for eternity, suffering damnation alongside satan and his demons. The sad part is that the non-believer will be able to relive his past mistakes, but he will be separated from God, and salvation, for all eternity.
…The non-believer will NOT inherit the Kingdom of God but will dwell in eternal darkness, conscious for eternity..…

-not if Christians are wrong.

Reminder:

You said:

……If we Christians are wrong, then we have nothing to lose;...…

And then I responded:

…-except the rational understanding and awareness of reality. ..…

I didn’t think it was necessary for me to also point out what I see as self-evident that if Christians are wrong and if atheists are right then there is no afterlife for atheists like you describe and many atheists, like myself, don’t believe there is any kind of “afterlife“ and thus we don’t believe that we would be “conscious for eternity” as you said and that logically means that, if we are right and you are wrong, we wont be “conscious for eternity”.