1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:402 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Yes, I suppose I was, in a sense, "forced" to be a Christian for those 25+ years. The word "forced" is maybe not the first word I'd have thought of using, but it will suffice.

Yes, I  was, for all intents and purposes, "forced" to be a Christian. I  didn't really have any choice in the matter. My faith was sincere, ever present, empowering. It had a momentu ...[text shortened]... d away and disappeared.

In the end, I was "forced" to admit that I was no longer a Christian.
    Do you believe all people turn into robots when they are exposed to supernatural ideas and suddenly loose the ability to weigh up evidence, compare ideas and decide what is credible and what is not? Or do you think this braindead experience was unique to you?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:42
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Do you believe all people turn into robots when they are exposed to supernatural ideas and suddenly loose the ability to weigh up evidence, compare ideas and decide what is credible and what is not?
    Your 'robot' comment is a rhetorical gimmick. Repeating it over and over again is juvenile. It's boring. If you want to have a conversation, try something else.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:44
    Or do you think this braindead experience was unique to you?
    You are describing strong Christian faith that lasted for decades (not including my childhood) as a "braindead experience"?
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:46
    Your 'robot' comment is a rhetorical gimmick. Repeating it over and over again is juvenile. It's boring. If you want to have a conversation, try something else.
    You are the one claiming to have been a 'robot' with regards to your religious beliefs not me. If you have a better more accurate word than 'robot' to describe a person devoid of free will feel free to share it.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:48
    You are describing strong Christian faith that lasted for decades (not including my childhood) as a "braindead experience"?
    It is braindead in my opinion if you lacked free will or the ability to weigh up evidence, compare evidence, and decide what is credible and what is not.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:48
    You are the one claiming to have been a 'robot' with regards to your religious beliefs not me.
    No, I am not. It's you who keeps calling me a robot. Over and over and over again. I am not the one claiming I was a robot. It's you who is doing it. Not me. Calling me a robot and then saying it is me who is calling me a robot is a parody of conversation.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:50
    It is braindead in my opinion if you lacked free will or the ability to weigh up evidence, compare evidence, and decide what is credible and what is not.
    Do you think I am "braindead" now as well? "Braindead" because I was Christian and "braindead" because I'm a non-Christian too?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:51
    No, I am not. It's you who keeps calling me a robot. Over and over and over again. I am not the one claiming I was a robot. It's you who is doing it. Not me. Calling me a robot and then saying it is me who is calling me a robot is a parody of conversation.
    Do you deny that you had no free will and that a robot in essence has no free will? If not what is your objection to my use of the word 'robot'?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:53
    Do you think I am "braindead" now as well? "Braindead" because I was Christian and "braindead" because I'm a non-Christian too?
    If you suddenly have free will now then I would not describe your current state as braindead.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:53
    Originally posted by @sonship
    > You and other unbelievers do teach things.
    > Unbelievers and skeptics here do preach.
    > Your philosophies often are put out as better ones to follow than Christian faith.
    > You come to advertize a better way of thinking and living.
    It seems as if your definition of "to preach" includes people merely discussing things on a debate forum where they disagree with each other. That seems strangely broad. Why not just use the verbs "to discuss" or "to disagree"?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:56
    Do you deny that you had no free will and that a robot in essence has no free will? If not what is your objection to my use of the word 'robot'?
    I am not interested in your "robot" gimmick. I contend that my OP demonstrates essential humanity, warts and all, in terms of religious faith, and is the complete and utter opposite of 'being a robot'. You have tried your robot thing and repeated now - how many times? - I'm not interested.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:571 edit
    It seems as if your definition of "to preach" includes people merely discussing things on a debate forum where they disagree with each other. That seems strangely broad. Why not just use the verbs "to discuss" or "to disagree"?
    Do you disagree with people on Christian matters now because you have suddenly been gifted the ability to think for yourself about supernatural things and now have the ability to decide what makes sense to you and what doesn't?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:58
    If you suddenly have free will now then I would not describe your current state as braindead.
    Robot - check.
    Braindead - check.

Understood.

Got anything else to offer our conversation?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:58
    Do you disagree with people on Christian matters now because you have suddenly been gifted the ability to think for yourself about supernatural things and decide what makes sense to you and what doesn't?
    "Gifted" by whom?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 07:59
    Originally posted by @sonship
    I was a former Christian for some years.
    So you were a Christian, then you weren't, and now you are again.
    Were you saved, then unsaved and then saved again?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree