1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 10:38
    Originally posted by @fmf
    You think you might someday own a robot that is an ex-Christian?
    No I said, "If ever I do own a robot I think I shall name it FMF."
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 10:462 edits
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    No I said, "If ever I do own a robot I think I shall name it FMF."
    You think the OP does not describe the human experience of having religious faith ~ and the impact that religious faith can have on a life ~ but instead describes someone lacking humanity and being like a robot instead?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:00
    You think the OP does not describe the human experience of having religious faith ~ and the impact that religious faith can have on a life ~ but instead describes someone lacking humanity and being like a robot instead?
    No I think it is your attempt to excuse yourself from having any free will or choice in what you believe in. In essence you are the one claiming to be a robot, not me.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:04
    No I think it is your attempt to excuse yourself from having any free will or choice in what you believe in. In essence you are the one claiming to be a robot, not me.
    Why would I want to "excuse" myself? I am not 'guilty' of anything.

So you are now not claiming I am a robot. And I am not claiming I am a robot. So you are laying your robot quip to rest?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:12
    If ever I do own a robot I think I shall name it FMF.
    I was a Christian for quite a bit longer than you have thus far been in your life, but we do have that in common. Which parts of my description of the experience and impact of having Christian faith resonate with you?
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:20
    I was a Christian for quite a bit longer than you have thus far been in your life, but we do have that in common. Which parts of my description of the experience and impact of having Christian faith resonate with you?
    What does that mean? Being a Christian?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:23
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You should ask your fellow Christians and see what they say or browse some Christian web sites where they offer definitions.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:31
    If ever I do own a robot I think I shall name it FMF.
    The irony!

From the confessed damaged decades-long cult member.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:32
    You should ask your fellow Christians and see what they say or browse some Christian web sites where they offer definitions.
    I was asking you for your opinion.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:32
    Why don't you present your definition here and we can judge whether or not both you and FMF measure up to it?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:33
    Why?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:35
    I know. I'm not interested.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 11:59
    Yes, I've heard you say this kind of stuff before and it has no bearing on what my personal experience was, nor how I perceive that experience ~ instead it seems to be more a comment on your own faith. I am not a Christian anymore, and you're still a Christian, good for you.

But I think you're missing the point altogether if you think that this is about me ...[text shortened]... s faith ~ any religious faith ~ is like a force of instinct that is largely immune to free will.
    I've heard you say this kind of stuff before and it has no bearing on what my personal experience was,..

You posted, and I replied. If my reply has no bearing on what you said, then move along, don't worry and be happy.

~ instead it seems to be more a comment on your own faith.

Of course it is. Sorry if my reply doesn't put you at the center of attention. I did my best to reply to what you said, and yet you nullify my comments regarding the points you made and ignored the elephant in the room.

But I think you're missing the point altogether if you think that this is about me justifying or convincing you of anything with regard to my Christianity in the past.

What a bizarre thing to say considering that you stated pointedly in the OP about your "forced" conversion to Christianity and subsequent "forced" exodus from the belief in a savior. But don't worry, I'm not looking for a convincing statement of belief, or of unbelief, from you. You can describe your experiences of belief and unbelief all day long if you'd like, but then that would be like you trying to convince somebody that those experiences were/are real.

The topic is about how strong and sincere religious faith ~ any religious faith ~ is like a force of instinct that is largely immune to free will.

Just because you can sit there and define the terms to suit your personal experience doesn't make them real. Nevertheless the above statement has a ring of truth to it. "Free will", or volition, it seems, trumps faith, but faith is supreme because it doesn't "force" one against his will.

Faith is substantive. Faith isn't imaginary. Without faith it is impossible to know the truth. Faith is the key that opens the door to the unknown.

According to your own words you had 25+ years of experience with the superficiality of religion without the substance of faith.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 12:02
    Originally posted by @josephw
    You stated pointedly in the OP about your "forced" conversion to Christianity and subsequent "forced" exodus from the belief in a savior.
    Mmm. I have a feeling you have not understood the OP.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 12:071 edit
    Originally posted by @josephw
    According to your own words you had 25+ years of experience with the superficiality of religion without the substance of faith.
    Although it was not the intent of the OP to go into any detail, I thought it did mention the "substance of faith" actually, and how the faith compelled me to believe in Jesus and to live my life in accordance with those beliefs etc. etc. I'm not sure which bit you think was about "superficiality". Are you sure you read the whole OP and that you're not projecting stuff I didn't say onto it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree