was jesus gay?

was jesus gay?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
16 Jan 10

Originally posted by trev33
google hit for 'was jesus gay' - 14.4 million

hits for 'Is trev33 a blooming idiot?' - only 2.
Proof:
trev33 was the searcher in both instances...

rc

Moves
16 Jan 10

Originally posted by Lord Shark
Well, clearly if the matter is resolved for you, that fixes the context for your wondering about my thoughts, so your claim that 'its nothing to do with me' is false.

Just to clarify, are you saying that, in your opinion, Jesus was straight? I just want to get that clear before I offer more detailed thoughts of my own.
no its not false, not in this context, for i was wondering not about the matter itself, but what you thought of the matter, which has nothing to do with me, for my thoughts are not yours, but that is a side point. i firmly believe that Christ as a Jew would have kept the mosaic law, making the practice of homosexuality, out of the question, thus its resolved for me. it seems futile to speculate beyond that.

Moves
16 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by trev33
would it make a difference if he was?
I don't think he was gay, if only because of the presence of the Gnostic writings.

If he was, I'm not so sure there would be any indication of it. Homosexuality as it is written in the gospels is talking about Hellenistic society and demonizing the goings-on in Grecian and Roman society. It's very easy to demonize "them"; the ancients did it and so do we.

rc

Moves
16 Jan 10

Originally posted by Badwater
I don't think he was gay, if only because of the presence of the Gnostic writings.

If he was, I'm not so sure there would be any indication of it. Homosexuality as it is written in the gospels is talking about Hellenistic society and demonizing the goings-on in Grecian and Roman society. It's very easy to demonize "them"; the ancients did it and so do we.
ummm what about the other 80 percent of the bible?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
You should be defending it instead it seems your enjoying it.
I'm an atheist. I consider myself neutral here, though I probably look biased against the Christian position to Christians.

I'm just pointing out who is winning the debate in my opinion.

EDIT - Oops, except it's not the Debate forum. Well if you don't want to debate I'll shut up.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jan 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes, how very convenient for them, fortunately there are literally hundreds of extant manuscripts which corroborate the text as we understand it. I bet they were all corrupted just at the right instance as well!
I won't defend the claim that Jesus was gay, but you now know why some people entertain the idea.

T

Moves
16 Jan 10
1 edit

i see, what about this scripture here, also taken from the sermon on the mount,

(Matthew 5:17-19) [b] “Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill;  for truly I say to you that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one particle of a letter to pass away from the L s, was Jesus gay, therefore your question is irrelevant to the discussion and shall be ignored.
[/b]here Jesus is saying that he did not come to destroy the law and the prophets and you are telling me he did, isn't that interesting? who am i to believe?

It has nothing to do with either believing Jesus or believing me. In the passages I quoted Jesus clearly contradicts Levitical Law.

So the real question is how to reconcile the passage you cited with the fact that Jesus contradicts Levital Law as part of the same line of thought.

Try reading it all in context.

Immediately after the passage you quoted, Jesus says:
"20 “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Then proceeds to cites example after example (including the passage that contradicts Levitical Law) of places where the Jews have the law of God all wrong. Jesus did not come to destroy the law of God, He came to fulfill the law of God by making it clear just what the law of God is. In effect, Jesus is saying, "You don't know the law of God. I know the law of God."

this discussion has nothing to do with Jehovahs witnesses, the title of it is, was Jesus gay, therefore your question is irrelevant to the discussion and shall be ignored.

It's relevant since as a JW you keep pointing to OT "law" as if it were all valid. However as I pointed out earlier:

"It is condemned in Leviticus with many other things that are not considered 'law' today. If you're going to point to Levitical Law, then you better accept all of it lest you be a hypocrite."

If as a JW you are going to point to Levitical Law, then JW's better adhere to all of Levitcal Law or be guilty of furthering a homophobic position by selecting only those passages that deal with homosexuality.

T

Moves
16 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
You sure? There's a lot of far-left radicalism and hatred in parts of the gay community.
Yeah, I'm sure. From what I can tell, there is considerably more hatred of gays in the heterosexual community than hatred of haters of gays in the gay community. Gays are often victims of hate crimes. It isn't even close. Just look at all the homophobes that post on RHP or even on this thread.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
16 Jan 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Yeah, I'm sure. From what I can tell, there is considerably more hatred of gays in the heterosexual community than hatred of haters of gays in the gay community. Gays are often victims of hate crimes. It isn't even close. Just look at all the homophobes that post on RHP.
Use wisdom in disearning what one feels for gays as apposed for hate for what they practice. A true christian loves all humans. A true christian hates what a wrongdoer does.

T

Moves
16 Jan 10
1 edit

Use wisdom in disearning what one feels for gays as apposed for hate for what they practice. A true christian loves all humans. A true christian hates what a wrongdoer does.
I understand that that's how a lot of Christians try to spin it, however their actions betray them. "You will know them by their fruit." Try taking an objective look at your posts for example. They aren't the words of "a true Christian [that] loves all humans". From what I understand, neither is the policy of JW regarding homosexuals.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Jan 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Yeah, I'm sure. From what I can tell, there is considerably more hatred of gays in the heterosexual community than hatred of haters of gays in the gay community. Gays are often victims of hate crimes. It isn't even close. Just look at all the homophobes that post on RHP or even on this thread.
I guess living on the southern US Pacific coast desensitizes one towards a lot of prejudice in the world re: gays (and Jews for that matter)

Moves
16 Jan 10

ummm what about the other 80 percent of the bible?
I misstated; I meant to say New Testament.

You should have corrected me in saying that the Gospels don't mention homosexuality, however I understand that you have preconceived ideas that you use to glean information from the Gospels, instead of developing a theology from the text.

Exegesis is a wonderful thing if it only be used.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
16 Jan 10

So we can sum up your position as this -

The suggesting that Jesus may have been gay is considered blasphemous.

The mere thought Jesus could have been gay is, as you so eloquently put it, 'disgusting'. So therefore am i to assume that you consider homosexuality disgusting? Or is that just male homosexuality? Lets be honest, girl on girl is a little hot don't you think?

You 'hate', your word not mine, that gay men would like to actually have sex together.

Maybe it's me, but i think you tick the boxes for displaying a homophobic attitude.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
16 Jan 10

i was wrong Noobster, i take it back, Onan was put to death for , well read this . . . .

Onan

A son of Judah, his second by the Canaanite daughter of Shua. (Ge 38:2-4; 1Ch 2:3) After Onan’s childless older brother Er was put to death by Jehovah for wrongdoing, Onan was told by Judah to perform brother-in-law marriage with Er’s widow Tamar. ...[text shortened]... ldless, was put to death by Jehovah

the main principles against oral sex are for uncleanness.
I knew you were wrong, i've done a little research on this. The Bible states nowhere that masturbation is a sin, yet it is frequently stated that it is so. Why do you think that is?

Onan was put to death for not following Gods orders, and what peculiar orders they were?

So i can take by your failure to display any scriptural evidence with reagrds to oral sex, there isn't any?! I understand what the main principles for it's banning are, but where is the scriptural evidence to back it up?

Back to the Mosaic Law. The Bible appears to be quite specific with regards to capital punishment -

"Anyone who strikes a man and kills him shall surely be put to death. 13 However, if he does not do it intentionally, but God lets it happen, he is to flee to a place I will designate. 14 But if a man schemes and kills another man deliberately, take him away from my altar and put him to death."

Exodus, 21-12

Yet the JW's remain neutral on the issue of capital punsihment. How can you decide to be neutral on this issue, yet not so with regards to homosexuality?!

Moves
16 Jan 10

no its not false, not in this context, for i was wondering not about the matter itself, but what you thought of the matter, which has nothing to do with me, for my thoughts are not yours, but that is a side point. i firmly believe that Christ as a Jew would have kept the mosaic law, making the practice of homosexuality, out of the question, thus its resolved for me. it seems futile to speculate beyond that.
no its not false, not in this context, for i was wondering not about the matter itself, but what you thought of the matter, which has nothing to do with me, for my thoughts are not yours, but that is a side point.
In my view it is false, because your wondering and its manner are to do with you. But as you say, it is a side point.

i firmly believe that Christ as a Jew would have kept the mosaic law, making the practice of homosexuality, out of the question, thus its resolved for me.
What has that to do with the question of whether Jesus was gay? Nothing at all.

it seems futile to speculate beyond that.
Then surely you agree with me that to speculate on Jesus' heterosexuality is equally absurd?