Was Peter crucified upside-down?

Was Peter crucified upside-down?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
31 Jan 17

The Bible doesn't mention Peter being killed, but some Christian traditions hold that he was.

Is this belief considered to be true by most Christians? If so, what basis is there for this to be accepted as true? If not, why do you oppose this view?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Jan 17

Originally posted by vivify
The Bible doesn't mention Peter being killed, but some Christian traditions hold that he was.

Is this belief considered to be true by most Christians? If so, what basis is there for this to be accepted as true? If not, why do you oppose this view?

Most Christians that I know of have heard the story.

It was in fact described in the Acts of Peter which was deemed apocryphal by the early church. Most of the text concerns a "miracle battle" between Peter and Simon Magus, but the last few chapters do describe the crucifixion of Peter in Rome, under Nero.

According to Wikipedia:
"These concluding chapters describing Peter's crucifixion are preserved separately as the "Martyrdom of Peter" in three Greek manuscripts and in Coptic (fragmentary), Syriac, Ethiopic, Arabic, Armenian, and Slavonic versions. Because of this, it is sometimes proposed that the martyrdom account was the original text to which the preceding chapters were affixed."

This is all I know about it.

Moves
31 Jan 17

Originally posted by vivify

Who cares?

c

Moves
31 Jan 17

Originally posted by divegeester
Who cares?
Some Christians believe that Peter's death adds to their faith because only a madman would subject himself to a death for something he did not firmly believe in, especially within 30 years of Jesus' time on earth.

He was crucified upside down because he felt he wasn't worthy enough to be crucified in the same way as Jesus.

People care.

Note: I am still working on my theism and Christianity.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Jan 17

Originally posted by chaney3
Some Christians believe that Peter's death adds to their faith because only a madman would subject himself to a death for something he did not firmly believe in, especially within 30 years of Jesus' time on earth.

He was crucified upside down because he felt he wasn't worthy enough to be crucified in the same way as Jesus.

People care.

Actually, Peter was leaving Rome, getting 'outta Dodge', as it were, because Nero was starting to crack down on the Christians. Jesus appeared to him and asked him if Peter was denying him again. Already feeling guilty of denying Jesus the last time, Peter couldn't take it any more and turned around to go back to Rome, to 'face the music'.

c

Moves
31 Jan 17

Originally posted by Suzianne
Actually, Peter was leaving Rome, getting 'outta Dodge', as it were, because Nero was starting to crack down on the Christians. Jesus appeared to him and asked him if Peter was denying him again. Already feeling guilty of denying Jesus the last time, Peter couldn't take it any more and turned around to go back to Rome, to 'face the music'.
Okay, even better.

This account helps someone stubborn, like myself, to realize that facing death is a better option than denying Jesus.

It helps faith, when help may be needed.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Jan 17

Okay, even better.

This account helps someone stubborn, like myself, to realize that facing death is a better option than denying Jesus.

It helps faith, when help may be needed.
Yes, precisely.

Moves
01 Feb 17

People care.

You know nothing; this post of yours is an example.
Always pontificating on what "some Christians" do or don't believe and yet never quite having the balls to stand up and be counted among the living.
Nobody cares. And you don't know anybody who does care, you're just making shlt up to sound knowledgable on the internet.
You know what you believe, you just lack balls.
Balls Chaney3. Big balls.

c

Moves
01 Feb 17

You know nothing; this post of yours is an example.
Always pontificating on what "some Christians" do or don't believe and yet never quite having the balls to stand up and be counted among the living.
Nobody cares. And you don't know anybody who does care, you're just making shlt up to sound knowledgable on the internet.
You know what you believe, you just lack balls.
Balls Chaney3. Big balls.
Why don't you care about Peter?

Isn't he a saint?

c

Moves
01 Feb 17

Who cares?
Peter knew Jesus, personally.

Why did you say "who cares"?

F

Moves
01 Feb 17

Some Christians believe that Peter's death adds to their faith because only a madman would subject himself to a death for something he did not firmly believe in...
The same could be said of suicide bombers who sacrifice themselves for political reasons while 'fortified' by their religious convictions or perhaps they sacrifice themselves for religious religions because of their political circumstances. 'How firmly people believed something' is evidence of nothing much aside from the state of mind of the people dying and the notions and beliefs that they internalized during their lifetimes.

F

Moves
01 Feb 17

Peter knew Jesus, personally.
Upon what evidence do you base this assertion?

w

Moves
01 Feb 17

Who cares?
I'm sure Peter did. 😛

c

Moves
01 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
The same could be said of suicide bombers who sacrifice themselves for political reasons while 'fortified' by their religious convictions or perhaps they sacrifice themselves for religious religions because of their political circumstances. 'How firmly people believed something' is evidence of nothing much aside from the state of mind of the people dying and the notions and beliefs that they internalized during their lifetimes.
I cannot dispute your bringing up suicide bombers. To me, they are "madmen".

Edit: although I don't view the death of Peter as anything close to the same thing.

c

Moves
01 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
Upon what evidence do you base this assertion?
The Bible.