1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 20:49
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Wikipedia says this about this song:

"The verses of the song consist of David Byrne speaking rather than singing. With the lyrics "Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down," the song has an existential mood to it, although it is usually interpreted to be a song dealing with the midlife crisis and the inevitable sacrifice of youthful ideals and dreams for conventional success."
    An interesting song, no doubt.
    I still reckon he did something.
    Thnx Suzianne
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 21:03
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Wikipedia says this about this song:

"The verses of the song consist of David Byrne speaking rather than singing. With the lyrics "Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down," the song has an existential mood to it, although it is usually interpreted to be a song dealing with the midlife crisis and the inevitable sacrifice of youthful ideals and dreams for conventional success."
    Cracking song from a brilliant album by one of the best bands ever, whatever his message is.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 21:07
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I think what you may be trying to get at is that water cant be broken like a rock or moved into place like sand.
    Whether it be a drop or an ocean, it remains the same thing.

It's not immortal, but how it got here in the first place is just as interesting a question as to how the Earth is such a perfect temperature to hold water...Hmmmm...
    Do you know the 'weak anthropic principle' Charlie? Best explanation I know for why the Earth is at that 'goldilocks' temperature and a lot more besides.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 21:09
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Cracking song from a brilliant album by one of the best bands ever, whatever his message is.
    I cannot believe that I agree with you on something, makes sign of gun and points at head, I shall be on suicide watch for the next 24 hours. 🙂
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 21:55
    Do you know the 'weak anthropic principle' Charlie? Best explanation I know for why the Earth is at that 'goldilocks' temperature and a lot more besides.
    Could you expand on that a bit? No, I cant seem to recall the meaning of that principle, though I remember reading about it.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 21:56
    That song is a pop mantra. Very good, Mr Byrne
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 00:27
    That song is a pop mantra. Very good, Mr Byrne
    Funny, all I have to do is say "Same as it ever was..." in a group, say, at work, and everyone knows what I'm referencing. Another reason to feel sorry for the younger generation, hehehe.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 00:31
    An interesting song, no doubt.
    I still reckon he did something.
    Thnx Suzianne
    I think the whole song boils down to the line "And you may ask yourself - Well... How did I get here?" flavored by the lines "Letting the days go by..." and "Same as it ever was..."

I agree with Wikipedia's assessment.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 18:26
    Could you expand on that a bit? No, I cant seem to recall the meaning of that principle, though I remember reading about it.
    It's pretty simple really. Basically, we wouldn't be here to be asking these questions unless all the many conditions which are required for us to exist were met. We are here, asking these questions, so, er... ipso facto. This doesn't, of course, preclude the existence of some sort of creator, but it does rather weaken some of the arguments made in it's support.
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 18:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I cannot believe that I agree with you on something, makes sign of gun and points at head, I shall be on suicide watch for the next 24 hours. 🙂
    You say that, but I bet there's loads of stuff we'd agree on. How about - "there's no such thing as a bad scotch, just that some are better than others"?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 21:05
    You say that, but I bet there's loads of stuff we'd agree on. How about - "there's no such thing as a bad scotch, just that some are better than others"?
    dog on it, another thing we agree upon, maybe i have been assimilated and at present, remain unaware of the fact.
  12. Joined
    09 Mar '11
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 05:48
    Originally posted by josephw
    Like God?
    i was thinking like the spirit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree