1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 01:28
    With the advent of quantum physics, what implicications,if any does it have for general ontology?

As I understand it the historic scientific and religous (christian) have only had the option of paritcle-theory to explain their positions. Does the new wave-theory make for a major revision in the mind of the average christian on the street (or whoever), and in the teachings of the chrurches? Or will it just be swept under the carpet?
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 01:341 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    With the advent of quantum physics, what implicications,if any does it have for general ontology?

As I understand it the historic scientific and religous (christian) have only had the option of paritcle-theory to explain their positions. Does the new wave-theory make for a major revision in the mind of the average christian on the street (or whoever), and in the teachings of the chrurches? Or will it just be swept under the carpet?

Could you explain to me how the major tenets of my Christian faith have been impacted one way or another by particle theory as opposed to wave-theory ?
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 01:39
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [quote] With the advent of quantum physics, what implicications,if any does it have for general ontology?

As I understand it the historic scientific and religous (christian) have only had the option of paritcle-theory to explain their positions. Does the new wave-theory make for a major revision in the mind of the average christian on the street (or who ...[text shortened]... stian faith have been impacted one way or another by particle theory as opposed to wave-theory ?
    Well some christians tend to objectify God, as if "He" were a particle-like phenomenon .
    Could we look at God as a "wave"? Does this have any meaning for you?

("He" is no doubt both, but I just wanted to see if anyone really considers the quantum wave theory and it's meaning for our understanding of the world.)
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 01:475 edits
    Well some christians tend to objectify God, as if "He" were a particle-like phenomenon .
    Could we look at God as a "wave"? Does this have any meaning for you?

("He" is no doubt both, but I just wanted to see if anyone really considers the quantum wave theory and it's meaning for our understanding of the world.)

I see.

Well as a evangelical Christian I think I have to go with "wave theory".

You see one of my favorite hymns goes:

"Oh now I see the cleansing wave,
    The fountain deep and wide.
    Jesus my Lord, mighty to save,
    Points to His wounded side.

The cleansing stream I see I see.
    I plunge and O it cleanses me.
    O Praise the Lord, it cleanses me.
    It cleanses me, yes cleanses me.
    "

Sister Pheobe Palmer - Listen, listen !

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/l/cleansin.htm
  5. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:19
    This came up in a prior thread, so I'll be repeating myself for the most part.

Understanding the wave-particle duality and the implications for a holographic universe contributed to my conversion to Christianity.

So at least from my perspective, it not only doesn't detract from the God hypothesis, it helps folks like me understand the logical--even scientific--possibility for God.

If we allow for God the Creator as Master Programmer of a holographic reality, then everything in the bible can be taken completely literally without batting an eye. Anything that seems "impossible" would be completely possible.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:24
    [quote]

As I understand it the historic scientific and religous (christian) have only had the option of paritcle-theory to explain their positions. Does the new wave-theory make for a major revision in the mind of the average christian on the street ...[text shortened]... Palmer - Listen, listen !

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/l/cleansin.htm
    For instance, in gravity theory, there is an object called a 'black hole'. I'm sure you have heard of one. So here is our intrepid explorer in his super space ship, a nice young christian fellow, doesn't know he is headed straight into said black hole. Now the thing about those contrivances is, like a roach motel, once you check in, you don't check out. So in he goes, notices too late and is being stretched like a rubber band by the gravitational tidal forces and starts praying to his god. Thing is, he is way too late for help.

Here's the deal: So he is swallowed up by this big black hole, oh, Jonah is his name🙂

Here is the conundrum: Does his soul get swallowed up with him or does it do what not much else in the universe, including light, escapes back to our reality and into the hands of god? Or does the hapless explorer AND his soul go down the bath tub drain of the universe to end up in god knows where?
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:28
    Does the new wave-theory make for a major revision...
    What new wave theory?
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    For instance, in gravity theory, there is an object called a 'black hole'. I'm sure you have heard of one. So here is our intrepid explorer in his super space ship, a nice young christian fellow, doesn't know he is headed straight into said black hole. Now the thing about those contrivances is, like a roach motel, once you check in, you don't check out. So ...[text shortened]... orer AND his soul go down the bath tub drain of the universe to end up in god knows where?
    Here is the conundrum: Does his soul get swallowed up with him or does it do what not much else in the universe, including light, escapes back to our reality and into the hands of god? Or does the hapless explorer AND his soul go down the bath tub drain of the universe to end up in god knows where?

For the Christian, the hope that regardless of what happens to the physical body, he or she will be resurrected. Whether death by old age, burning at the stake, starvation, disease, blown apart in an explosion or swallowed up in a black hole, it makes no difference to the God of resurrection power.

For the unbeliever who may be putting his hope in being obliterated so as to escape all future detection by a Righteous Judge, he is setting himself up for a very bitter disappointment.

Being ripped apart by gravity in a black hole, will simply not pose difficulty for God to resurrect you to stand before Him at the great white throne last judgment.

We cannot hide from this God in the depths of even a black hole. It is better to come forward - spirit and soul and body, to this Savior Jesus Christ. For He loves all of you. And He will resurrect unto eternal life all of you.
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:48
    i don't think it impacts christianity one way or another.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:54
    Originally posted by sumydid
    This came up in a prior thread, so I'll be repeating myself for the most part.

Understanding the wave-particle duality and the implications for a holographic universe contributed to my conversion to Christianity.

So at least from my perspective, it not only doesn't detract from the God hypothesis, it helps folks like me understand the logical--even sci ...[text shortened]... ally without batting an eye. Anything that seems "impossible" would be completely possible.
    I dont know about taking everything literally ,defnately some things are literal no doubt but some parts have to be metaphoric. As to which parts of the bible, I dont want to go into that here, unless of course you have an apt example handy.

Otherwise thanks for the contribution. I can relate to the thinking behind it.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:541 edit
    I would like you all to pull out exactly ONE hair from your heads. Just find one small hair and pluck it out and look at it.

You may not know which numbered hair you pulled out. But do you realize that God knows exactly what the number of that hair is ?

"Are not two sparrows sold for an assarion? And not one of them will fall to the earth apart from your Father.

But even the hairs of your head are numbered.

Therefore do not fear; you are of more value than many sparrows." (Matthew 10:29-31)

If you pluck out ONE HAIR, God knows, ie. that that is hair number 352,871. All of your hairs are numbered with your Creator God.

How much more is God aware of your motives, imagination, memory, tastes, attitudes, actions, thoughts, inclinations, wounds, sins, transgressions, and even more noble aspirations of your soul.

Would it not be wonderful to trust such a One and turn over our whole being to His salvation, His loving care ?

Even at the edge of a black hole, I encourage you to call on the name of Jesus.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:56
    Originally posted by mikelom
    What new wave theory?
    Quantum wave theory. It's relatively new.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:581 edit
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    i don't think it impacts christianity one way or another.
    Apparently sumydid seemed to be a bit affected by it when trying to justify his faith to himself, or so I understood.

edit: also jaywill opted to embrace a wave-like theory (in poem form) to use as metaphor for ideology.

Thats just of 2 examples of chrsitians that have considered "wave theory",( a little bit, anyway), so it has had some impact ... maybe not much, but ...
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 03:00
    You may not know which numbered hair you pulled out. But do you realize that God knows exactly what the number of that hair is ?
    What a load of Godswallop!

The numbers of hairs in our head are numbered individually?

Get a hair grip man!

I never heard such BS in my life.

-m.
  15. Wat?
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 03:041 edit
    Quantum wave theory. It's relatively new.
    Errm about 1929 yes. Is that relatively new to you??

I suppose if you live in the bible it must seem like 2 hours ago!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree