1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 01:51
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    It seems that only the King James Version and the American Standard Version have white. I've seen dark, radiant, dazzling, clear, and red-blooded in the others available at Bible.com . It really makes a brotha wonder what the true word is.
    Wait...Is Kirk serious?!

It says 'white' in some translations?

Cmon...don't make me look it up...are you serious?!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nemesio
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 01:521 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Wait...Is Kirk serious?!

It says 'white' in some translations?

Cmon...don't make me look it up...are you serious?!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nemesio
    Dead serious.

King James Version

http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Song+of+Solomon+5&version1=9
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 01:55
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    He was nailed in the wrists and ankles.
    We shall get to the bottom of this in the stigmata thread.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 02:13
    Dead serious.

King James Version

http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Song+of+Solomon+5&version1=9
    Doc, don't give up hope. Song of Songs 1:5 "I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem." I have also found a lot of references to bling so I am pretty convinced that there is a definite brotha influence. Plus, 2:15 "Catch us the foxes, the little foxes." You can't get much clearer than that.
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 03:452 edits
    Young's literal translation

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=26&chapter=5&version=15

Song of Solomon 5

1 I have come in to my garden, my sister-spouse, I have plucked my myrrh with my spice, I have eaten my comb with my honey, I have drunk my wine with my milk. Eat, O friends, drink, Yea, drink abundantly, O beloved ones!
    2 I am sleeping, but my heart waketh: The sound of my beloved knocking! `Open to me, my sister, my friend, My dove, my perfect one, For my head is filled [with] dew, My locks [with] drops of the night.'
    3 I have put off my coat, how do I put it on? I have washed my feet, how do I defile them?
    4 My beloved sent his hand from the net-work, And my bowels were moved for him.
    5 I rose to open to my beloved, And my hands dropped myrrh, Yea, my fingers flowing myrrh, On the handles of the lock.
    6 I opened to my beloved, But my beloved withdrew -- he passed on, My soul went forth when he spake, I sought him, and found him not. I called him, and he answered me not.
    7 The watchmen who go round about the city, Found me, smote me, wounded me, Keepers of the walls lifted up my veil from off me.
    8 I have adjured you, daughters of Jerusalem, If ye find my beloved -- What do ye tell him? that I [am] sick with love!
    9 What [is] thy beloved above [any] beloved, O fair among women? What [is] thy beloved above [any] beloved, That thus thou hast adjured us? 10 My beloved [is] clear and ruddy, Conspicuous above a myriad!
    11 His head [is] pure gold -- fine gold, His locks flowing, dark as a raven,
    12 His eyes as doves by streams of water, Washing in milk, sitting in fulness.
    13 His cheeks as a bed of the spice, towers of perfumes, His lips [are] lilies, dropping flowing myrrh,
    14 His hands rings of gold, set with beryl, His heart bright ivory, covered with sapphires,
    15 His limbs pillars of marble, Founded on sockets of fine gold, His appearance as Lebanon, choice as the cedars.
    16 His mouth is sweetness -- and all of him desirable, This [is] my beloved, and this my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem!
  6. Forgotten
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 03:57
    We shall get to the bottom of this in the stigmata thread.
    not neccessarilly doctor
    the actual physical nailing of jesus is one thing
    he was either tied to the cross and nailed thru the palms
    (as seen in some movies, which i doubt )
    or he was nailed through the wrists which is the way the romans did it
    (this is confirmed by archeologists)

then to the stigmata
    which is a manifestation of what a believer believes.most images of jesus have the wounds in the hands.that is why the common belief of jesus being nailed through the hands.and the stigmata apears where??in the hands(also the head back side etc but mostly you hear of hand stigmata)

all things considered rememeber that a nail through the hand will just tear through with very little weight on it ,let alone a grown man
  7. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 08:28
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Young's literal translation

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=26&chapter=5&version=15

Song of Solomon 5
    10 My beloved [is] clear and ruddy, Conspicuous above a myriad!
    !!!!!!

Where's Vistesd?! What's the Hebrew say?!
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 09:27
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    4 My beloved sent his hand from the net-work, And my bowels were moved for him.
    This is bizarre.
  9. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 10:33
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    This is bizarre.
    Obviously, a tad too literal in the the translation. Something has been lost from the vernacular.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 10:35
    Originally posted by David C
    Something has been lost from the vernacular.
    That's the bit just below the duodenum, isn't it?
  11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 21:51
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    That's the bit just below the duodenum, isn't it?
    LOL!
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 23:221 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    !!!!!!

Where's Vistesd?! What's the Hebrew say?!
    New Revised Standard Version—

Song of Solomon 1:5 I am black and beautiful, O daughters of Jerusalem, like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Solomon.

Hebrew: sh’chorah ani v’navah—literally, “black I am and beautiful.” sh’chorah is a feminine, singular adjectival form of sh’chor, “blackness” (this is one of the few words in my Hebrew dictionary that has a single definition). There are words that have the letters shin-chet-resh, that have far different meanings (dawn, "day star," to desire, to strive, as well as to be black—well you get the idea: the key seems to be the vav in sh’chor, which here is an “o” sound; it can also be “defective in certain cases (i.e., the vowel pointing is there without the actual “vav.&rdquo😉 Nevertheless, words like “white” and even “ruddy” seem far off the mark.

BTW, isn’t the tradition that this is supposed to be the Queen of Sheba?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 23:28
    Originally posted by vistesd

Song of Solomon 1:5 I am [b]black and beautiful
    , O daughters of Jerusalem, like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Solomon.

Nevertheless, words like “white” and even “ruddy” seem far off the mark.
    [/b]
    That's what I'm talking about.

King James must have been trying to keep a brotha down.
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 23:35
    That's what I'm talking about.

King James must have been trying to keep a brotha down.
    Well, what about all those pale, blond, blue-eyed folks in the middle east and North Africa? I mean, Jesus could’ve looked like Thor, right? Ancient settlement by the Norwegians…? 😛

(Note: another of my feeble attempts at sarcasm&hellip😉
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 23:37
    Originally posted by vistesd

Song of Solomon 1:5 I am [b]black and beautiful
    , O daughters of Jerusalem, like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Solomon.

Hebrew: sh’chorah ani v’navah—literally, “black I am and beautiful.” sh’chorah is a feminine, singular adjectival form of sh’chor, “blackness” (this is one of the few ...[text shortened]... em far off the mark.

BTW, isn’t the tradition that this is supposed to be the Queen of Sheba?[/b]
    DrScribbles originally cited Song of Solomon 5:10 which is translated as "white" "brilliant" or something like that in all versions I can find. You're giving Song of Solomon 1:5.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree