1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 19:181 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    He was nailed in the wrists and ankles.
    But didn't Thomas examine the holes in his hands?
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 19:19
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    But didn't Thomas examine the holes in his hands?
    There are linguistic and cultural problems with the translation that produced hand.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 19:23
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Why would I want to insult God by playing a debate game by making
    claims about Him I do not believe in my heart to be true?
    Kelly
    Do you think god is flattered by unreasoned obedience? Surely your faith could stand up to an intellectual exercise, which may put you into a better position to more persuasively argue your view later on. If you need, you could say a little payer at the beginning that went something like this: "Dear god, I'm engaging in this little sophistry for your greater glory. Please don't take anything I say in this thread literally."

I'm sure he'd understand and refrain from smiting you on the spot.

Your faith must be able to stand up to critical scrutiny, KellyJay. If it does not then it is not worth holding.
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 19:27
    Why would I want to insult God by playing a debate game by making
    claims about Him I do not believe in my heart to be true?
    Kelly
    I'm pretty sure he'll forgive you. But, hey, wouldn't want anyone to do something they don't like. :
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 19:321 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Do you think god is flattered by unreasoned obedience? Surely your faith could stand up to an intellectual exercise, which may put you into a better position to more persuasively argue your view later on. If you need, you could say a little payer at the beginning that went something like this: [i]"Dear god, I'm engaging in this little sophistry for your g ...[text shortened]... be able to stand up to critical scrutiny, KellyJay. If it does not then it is not worth holding.
    [/i]I believe God deals in truth, period. Since I also believe that God
    enlightens others not me, I should simply be true to Him. That is
    my goal in life, it isn't to sharpen my debate skills. I also believe
    that even if I show someone truth through my words, that does not
    mean that they will change or accept it, I can only do what I know
    I'm suppose to do. So arguing for a lie as far as my heart is concern
    isn't something that appeals to me, even a little bit.
    Kelly
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 19:33
    I started a thread like this once before, where people had to argue the opposite of what they actually believed. The point was that you should be able to articulate your opponents position in order to effectively oppose it in the future. Only the non-believers participated. All the theists were too timid to take part. So we had all the atheists arguing for the existence of god and no one to oppose us.
    Too bad. I think it's a funny excercise, and it would be refreshing. 🙂
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 19:37
    Originally posted by stocken
    I'm pretty sure he'll forgive you. But, hey, wouldn't want anyone to do something they don't like. :
    I'm sure he would forgive me too, but that doesn't mean I want to
    do something I think I would need forgiven for. I already deal with
    other areas in my life I don't excersie as much control over I do
    require God to forgive me for. I'm grateful for His grace and mercy,
    and don't want to trample on it, just for the fun of it.
    Kelly
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 19:43
    [/i]I believe God deals in truth, period. Since I also believe that God
    enlightens others not me, I should simply be true to Him. That is
    my goal in life, it isn't to sharpen my debate skills. I also believe
    that even if I show someone truth through my words, that does not
    mean that they will change or accept it, I can only do what I know
    I'm suppose ...[text shortened]... ie as far as my heart is concern
    isn't something that appeals to me, even a little bit.
    Kelly
    The atheists were able to argue for what they perceive to be a lie. Why can't you play the "devil's advocate" even once? Are you afraid to test your faith? Do you feel it is so weak that you are in danger of being seduced to the "dark side?"

It is to your advantage to know the ins and outs of an atheist's position. Especially since you spend so much time in these forums trying to convince others of its falsehood through your words. You seem to think that either (A)you will be smitten down for engaging in wickedness, or (B)you are afraid that if you relax the vigilance with which you hold the theological veil over your eyes, even for a second, that you will lose your faith.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 19:46
    The atheists were able to argue for what they perceive to be a lie. Why can't you play the "devil's advocate" even once? Are you afraid to test your faith? Do you feel it is so weak that you are in danger of being seduced to the "dark side?"

It is to your advantage to know the ins and outs of an atheist's position. Especially since you spend so m ...[text shortened]... you hold the theological veil over your eyes, even for a second, that you will lose your faith.
    I gave you my reasons, that is all I'm going to say about it.
    Kelly
  10. Forgotten
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 20:02
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    He was nailed in the wrists and ankles. They had four nails, but a young Gypsy boy stole one. Jesus blessed the Gypsy boy, "From now on your descendants will be able to steal without being seen." I saw it on America's Most Wanted. Is there a better source of history?
    i have heard this story also.i am surprised that john walsh didnt profile the gypsy boy lol

i am faily certain though that they used 1 nail through the feet and 1 in each wrist.nails were expensive back then and 1 large nail would suffice for the feet
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 20:18
    Song of Solomon 5:10
    "My lover is dark and dazzling, better than ten thousand others!"

Is this verse literally true? If so, mustn't this woman have been with over ten thousand men in order to have a valid basis for this comparison?

I'm not questioning the literal truth of the first clause, for it is well known that a single brotha mak ...[text shortened]... r than ten thousand Jews. I'm questioning only this woman's basis for the literal comparison.
    Doc, what translation are you reading from? Mine says "white and ruddy." I hope I didn't inadvertantly pick up my Bible from a white supremacist store.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 20:24
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Doc, what translation are you reading from? Mine says "white and ruddy." I hope I didn't inadvertantly pick up my Bible from a white supremacist store.
    New Living Translation

http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Song+of+Solomon+5&version1=51
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 00:21
    New Living Translation

http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Song+of+Solomon+5&version1=51
    I need to do some research on this and will get back. I keep coming up with "white and rudy". I personally like your translation better. I found another interesting verse: Song of Solomon 8:8 "We have a little sister and she hath no breasts: what shall we do for our sister in the day she is to be spoken for?"
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 00:33
    As I read through this thread I was reminded of this section in Acts 17...

Acts 17:16-21
    16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him when he saw that the city was given over to idols.
    17 Therefore he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and with the Gentile worshipers, and in the marketplace daily with those who happened to be there.
    18 Then certain Epicurean and Stoic philosophers encountered him. And some said, "What does this babbler want to say?" Others said, "He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign gods," because he preached to them Jesus and the resurrection.
    19 And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, "May we know what this new doctrine is of which you speak?
    20 "For you are bringing some strange things to our ears. Therefore we want to know what these things mean."
    21 For all the Athenians and the foreigners who were there spent their time in nothing else but either to tell or to hear some new thing.
    (NKJ)

....or debate some new thing...LOL
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 00:421 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I need to do some research on this and will get back. I keep coming up with "white and rudy".
    It seems that only the King James Version and the American Standard Version have white. I've seen dark, radiant, dazzling, clear, and red-blooded in the others available at Bible.com . It really makes a brotha wonder what the true word is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree