1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 15:46
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Yeah. One is a public building; the other a private ceremony.
    I understood that the funeral was a public ceremony.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 15:50
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I understood that the funeral was a public ceremony.
    Of course it was; if 200 members of the American Legion showed up and applauded the dead soldier's service no one would have claimed that anybody's privacy was invaded.
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 15:522 edits
    Good.

Nothing of value is lost by stopping these miscreants from peddling their vile Wrongthink.

In Europe, they would be taken out and horsewhipped by a gang of black-clad Austrian Thoughttroopers.

etc.

etc.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 16:02
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    We should all hope that this verdict is reversed on appeal. No matter how distasteful the Phelps' message is, it is protected speech.
    Someone may have the right to come to my front door and insult me, but I have the right to kick him off my property. That's the problem with Westboro - it's not what they're saying, it's where they're saying it.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 16:031 edit
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Good.

Nothing of value is lost by stopping these miscreants from peddling their vile Wrongthink.

In Europe, they would be taken out and horsewhipped by a gang of black-clad Austrian Thoughttroopers.

etc.

etc.
    Euros think they can decide what speech is valuable and what is not and then have the government regulate or prohibit what it deems to be "non-valuable".

A Jeffersonian democracy which recognizes that government power over individuals must be severely limited or a tyranny will result knows better.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 16:051 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Someone may have the right to come to my front door and insult me, but I have the right to kick him off my property. That's the problem with Westboro - it's not what they're saying, it's where they're saying it.
    Bunk.

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&brand=msnbc&tab=m5&rf=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12071434/&fg=&from=00&vid=b4f4aee0-29a0-42b8-a581-55e428e54f89&playlist=videoByTag:mk:us:vs:0:tag:News_Comment%20-%20Analysis:ns:MSNVideo_Top_Cat:ps:10:sd:-1:ind:1:ff:8A

If you can follow this link, you'll see that the protesters are on public property - usually on the public roads adjacent to the burial grounds. Your claim is factually wrong and disingenous. Note that police officers were usually present and the Phelps were not arrested for trespassing.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 16:31
    It looks like they've already cancelled their web hosting service to start paying off their judgment.

godhatesfags.com
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Bunk.

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&brand=msnbc&tab=m5&rf=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12071434/&fg=&from=00&vid=b4f4aee0-29a0-42b8-a581-55e428e54f89&playlist=videoByTag:mk:us:vs:0:tag:News_Comment%20-%20Analysis:ns:MSNVideo_Top_Cat:ps:10:sd:-1:ind:1:ff:8A

If you can follow this link, you'll see that the protesters are on public proper ...[text shortened]... ote that police officers were usually present and the Phelps were not arrested for trespassing.
    My link didn't specify where the protests occurred. It did say this:
    The federal jury determined the Westboro Baptist Church, based in Topeka, and three of its principals invaded the privacy of the dead man's family and inflicted emotional distress. (my emphasis)

...which made me think they had done so on private property.

If they indeed were on public property, then you're right; legally, there's not a damn thing we can do to them.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 17:06
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-071031westboro-story,1,3389889.story
    Alarmed by Westboro protests, at least 22 states have enacted or proposed laws to limit the rights of protesters at funerals. Only months after Matthew Snyder's death, Maryland passed a law prohibiting targeted picketing within 300 feet of a funeral, burial, memorial service, or funeral procession.

Looks like 22 states also don't understand Jeffersonian democracies, no1.
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 10:57
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-071031westboro-story,1,3389889.story
    Alarmed by Westboro protests, at least 22 states have enacted or proposed laws to limit the rights of protesters at funerals. Only months after Matthew Snyder's death, Maryland passed a law prohibiting targeted picketing within 300 feet of a funeral, burial, m ...[text shortened]... ocession.

Maybe the Euros who 2bit refers to have taken over in america as well?

D
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 15:062 edits
    Alarmed by Westboro protests, at least 22 states have enacted or proposed laws to limit the rights of protesters at funerals. Only months after Matthew Snyder's death, Maryland passed a law prohibiting targeted picketing within 300 feet of a funeral, burial, m ...[text shortened]... ocession.

At least 22 states don't, probably more. But pandering by legislatures to popular sentiment to restrict unpopular speech was anticipated by the Framers and a remedy provided. Hopefully all those laws will be declared unconstitutional by the courts.

EDIT: At least one, Kentucky's, was struck down by a Federal District Court: http://volokh.com/files/funeralpicketing.pdf
  12. Standard memberSMSBear716
    Evil Conservative
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 01:43
    Is there any essential difference between what this group does and what people who protest at abortion clinics do?
    Yes, there is.

Its fine if these people don't like gays ... thats freedom of speech.

To show up at the funeral of someone who died defending this country and protest is violation of that person's civil rights and the rights of that person's family not to be harassed.

Those who do show up and aren't Christians (at least any with any shred of decency)

Too bad the judge didn't slap them with a judgement for even more then he did.

Perhaps if they don't like gays, they should relocate their church and all its members to Iran .....
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 03:07
    Originally posted by SMSBear716
    Yes, there is.

Its fine if these people don't like gays ... thats freedom of speech.

To show up at the funeral of someone who died defending this country and protest is violation of that person's civil rights and the rights of that person's family not to be harassed.

Those who do show up and aren't Christians (at least any with any shred of dece ...[text shortened]... they don't like gays, they should relocate their church and all its members to Iran .....
    Wow. You're as crazy as your clan name suggests.

What a nut case.
  14. Standard memberSMSBear716
    Evil Conservative
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 03:351 edit

What a nut case.
    No I got a way to make these people good Christians so they can meet God ... how may of them want to be sniper vicitims? They can meet God and explain their insanity.... I'm sure he has a very nice place in Hell for them

Least they won't have to cough up 11 Million bucks
  15. Standard memberSMSBear716
    Evil Conservative
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 03:41

What a nut case.
    This from the guy who uses the picture of a nut case as a avatar... sheesh ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree