1. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    6400
    25 Jul '08 22:20
    Last night I dreamed that a political party had been formed in my country and was called Charismatic Christian Party. They were voted into power at the first election and formed a government. A short time later I was arrested and charged with "premeditated atheism", found guilty, and sentenced to preach a sermon at the First Pentecostal Church. The sermon was to be based on the scripture "Being careful to entertain strangers, for some of them have entertained angels." I was given 24 hours to prepare it and my fate,( freedom or captivity) would rest on the acclamation (or lack of it), of the congregation.
    HELP!!!!!
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    14509
    25 Jul '08 22:27
    Tragic! However count yourself lucky that you did not end up with the Charismatic Islamiya Party๐Ÿ™‚
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    27 Jul '08 19:22
    Originally posted by muppyman
    Last night I dreamed that a political party had been formed in my country and was called Charismatic Christian Party. They were voted into power at the first election and formed a government. A short time later I was arrested and charged with "premeditated atheism", found guilty, and sentenced to preach a sermon at the First Pentecostal Church. The sermon w ...[text shortened]... or captivity) would rest on the acclamation (or lack of it), of the congregation.
    HELP!!!!!
    Is that even in the Bible?
  4. SEMO
    Joined
    13 Jun '08
    Moves
    93
    27 Jul '08 20:47
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Is that even in the Bible?
    Not exactly in those words:

    Heb 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
  5. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    28 Jul '08 06:13
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    Not exactly in those words:

    Heb 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
    The meaning of the dream-verse is different than the Biblical verse. In Heb. 13:2 is a reference to Lot hosting angels in his home (offering his virgin daughter to an angry mob so they wouldn't try to gang rape his guests). Thus, if you entertain a stranger, he might really be an angel!

    In the dream, though, the verse seems to mean "Entertain strangers because some of the strangers might have entertained angels" which is quite different.
  6. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    6400
    28 Jul '08 10:08
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The meaning of the dream-verse is different than the Biblical verse. In Heb. 13:2 is a reference to Lot hosting angels in his home (offering his virgin daughter to an angry mob so they wouldn't try to gang rape his guests). Thus, if you entertain a stranger, he might really be an angel!

    In the dream, though, the verse seems to mean "Entertain strangers because some of the strangers might have entertained angels" which is quite different.
    exactly, except the dream verse said "some of them HAVE ( not might have) entertained angels, and that was the theme around which I was sentenced to preach the sermon. As it turned out, I delivered a sermon based on a true experience from my own life, and prefaced it with a suggestion to the congregation that "perhaps you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set ME free" which is what happened. I was invited by the pastor to preach again the following sunday, but then I woke up.
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    2926
    28 Jul '08 10:16
    just because you have a dream about god doesnt make him real. i have had many religious dreams of being in hell, the end of the world, god saving me, etc. but it doesnt mean i should take those dreams to heart n believe they are truth.
  8. At the Revolution
    Joined
    15 Sep '07
    Moves
    5073
    28 Jul '08 19:12
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Tragic! However count yourself lucky that you did not end up with the Charismatic Islamiya Party๐Ÿ™‚
    Christians are far worse than Muslims. I'd much rather live under a Muslim government than a Christian one.
  9. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    6400
    29 Jul '08 05:30
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    just because you have a dream about god doesnt make him real. i have had many religious dreams of being in hell, the end of the world, god saving me, etc. but it doesnt mean i should take those dreams to heart n believe they are truth.
    Fear not E. V. I cannot imagine anything that would undermine my atheism, and certainly not a dream. In fact, I seem to remember seeing somewhere in the bible a statement that "dreams come through a multitude of business". At least this dream gave me reason to suspect that I might be able to preach a better sermon than many christians could. ๐Ÿ™‚
  10. Illinois
    Joined
    20 Mar '07
    Moves
    6266
    29 Jul '08 05:581 edit
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Christians are far worse than Muslims. I'd much rather live under a Muslim government than a Christian one.
    Islam is more conducive to worldly government, by far. The teachings of Christ, on the other hand, are fundamentally averse to worldly power. It'd be much more likely that you'd be ruled by a Muslim government.

    I'm Christian, but I, too, would rather not live under a 'Christian' government, because by definition it would have to be an 'un-Christian' government. Christ called his followers to a radically non-judgmental, non-interventionist, non-political, non-power-seeking lifestyle. He taught that God's kingdom is not of this world.

    IMO, greed and pride are what drive so-called 'Christians' to self-righteously judge others and attempt to lord their morality over the general population. It is especially evil when these professing Christians do so in order to procure positions of power in government.

    A secular government is far preferable...
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    2926
    29 Jul '08 11:57
    Originally posted by muppyman
    Fear not E. V. I cannot imagine anything that would undermine my atheism, and certainly not a dream. In fact, I seem to remember seeing somewhere in the bible a statement that "dreams come through a multitude of business". At least this dream gave me reason to suspect that I might be able to preach a better sermon than many christians could. ๐Ÿ™‚
    i was under the impression that you believed it was more than just a dream. just last night actually i dreamt of the end of the world and it was lots of high tides, almost completely covered in ocean and there were crows that had a wingspan of about 50 feet long and they were bigger than airplanes ๐Ÿ˜•
  12. Standard memberDrimachus
    Christian
    England
    Joined
    29 Mar '08
    Moves
    9889
    29 Jul '08 13:30
    Christians are far worse than Muslims. I'd much rather live under a Muslim government than a Christian one
    Under Sharia law no doubt. You are more than welcometo it!
  13. At the Revolution
    Joined
    15 Sep '07
    Moves
    5073
    29 Jul '08 21:01
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Islam is more conducive to worldly government, by far. The teachings of Christ, on the other hand, are fundamentally averse to worldly power. It'd be much more likely that you'd be ruled by a Muslim government.

    I'm Christian, but I, too, would rather not live under a 'Christian' government, because by definition it would have to be an 'un-Christian' ...[text shortened]... procure positions of power in government.

    A secular government is far preferable...
    Yes, of course a secular government is the best. But Christian ranks among the worst.
  14. At the Revolution
    Joined
    15 Sep '07
    Moves
    5073
    29 Jul '08 21:02
    Originally posted by Drimachus
    Under Sharia law no doubt. You are more than welcometo it!
    OK. Have fun with the Klan and the AFP!
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    14509
    31 Jul '08 12:35
    Very hard for some people even to try to imagine a world without religion; even harder to imagine a country in which the church and the state are constitutionally separated;
Back to Top