1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 02:19
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CHURCH_ABUSE?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 02:371 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CHURCH_ABUSE?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
    "The archdiocese and its insurers will pay between $600 million and $650 million to about 500 plaintiffs"

500! That's a staggering number, and just for one diocese. Five hundred. Good God.

Better start passing that collection plate.
  3. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 02:40
    "The largest of those came in December, when the archdiocese reached a $60 million settlement with 45 people whose claims dated from before the mid-1950s and after 1987 - periods when it had little or no sexual abuse insurance."
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 02:42
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    "The largest of those came in December, when the archdiocese reached a $60 million settlement with 45 people whose claims dated from before the mid-1950s and after 1987 - periods [b]when it had little or no sexual abuse insurance."[/b]
    The fact that they "need" that type of insurance is an absolute travesty.
  5. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 02:47
    The fact that it exists and someone's willing to sell it to them is a bigger travesty.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 03:29
    "The largest of those came in December, when the archdiocese reached a $60 million settlement with 45 people whose claims dated from before the mid-1950s and after 1987 - periods [b]when it had little or no sexual abuse insurance."[/b]
    Praise Jesus they have finally started to exercise diligence -- protecting their business assets with insurance. I hope their policy covers loss due to Acts of God's Ordained.
  7. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 18:34
    The fact that it exists and someone's willing to sell it to them is a bigger travesty.
    I was just reading an article written by a former priest who left the priesthood and started working for a law firm that prosecuted many of the sex abuse cases. He wrote:

"As the years wore on, I found out about archives within various dioceses where information was on sexual misconduct was stored. And that there's a budget set aside each year for these priest cases; it's just considered a cost of operation. It's expected. It's projected."
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 18:45
    I need to know where I can get me some of that.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Jul '07 15:52
    Maybe the Church is afraid the priests would be sexually abused and would sue the Church...?

Nah.
  10. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    20 Jul '07 22:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Maybe the Church is afraid the priests would be sexually abused and would sue the Church...?

Nah.
    I have neither flood nor earthquake insurance. The chances of there being a flood or earthquake are so minimal that there's no need for the insurance.

Hmmm...
  11. Orillia, Ontario
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 00:30
    I know I'm going to get clobbered.
    What about the thousands of good priests and clergy that do good work? I know that it's easy to bash catholics because our church is the largest but we've done a lot more good then harm.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 00:34
    Originally posted by rickgarel
    What about the thousands of good priests and clergy that do good work? I know that it's easy to bash catholics because our church is the largest but we've done a lot more good then harm.
    Don't be so sure of that!
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 00:39
    Yes, 2000 years of repression, God's gift to the world.
  14. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 00:431 edit
    I've already made that speech more than once. This thread isn't about them...

edit: correction: I've made the speech about good priests or even not-bad priests. I'd never say the RCC has done more good than harm though.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 00:451 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Yes, 2000 years of repression, God's gift to the world.
    Do you think there is any other institution made by man that has been more repressive?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree