1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Joined
    08 Mar '04
    Moves
    615460
    02 Apr '13 05:03
    Jesus (God) died to save us from himself (God).
    Jesus (God) sacrificed himself (God) to save us from eternal damnation which he (God) would inflict upon us. 🙄🙄🙄
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148465
    02 Apr '13 05:08
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Jesus (God) died to save us from himself (God).
    Jesus (God) sacrificed himself (God) to save us from eternal damnation which he (God) would inflict upon us. 🙄🙄🙄
    Well the reason we need saved is due to our sins before a Holy God, if we
    had not sinned there would have been no need to be saved. Eternal damnation
    or forgiveness both come from God, Jesus sacrificed Himself to justify us
    before God, otherwise we would die in our own sins, sealing our fate.
    Kelly
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    02 Apr '13 08:061 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Jesus (God) died to save us from himself (God).
    Jesus (God) sacrificed himself (God) to save us from eternal damnation which he (God) would inflict upon us.
    What atheism really says:

    There is nothing other than this life
    There is this earth then nothing
    There is no future for mankind

    There is no god
    There is no 'morality'
    Do what you please

    Theism is the source of strife
    Godlessness is the only way forward
    The evidence speaks for itself
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Apr '13 08:21
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What atheism really says:

    There is nothing other than this life
    There is this earth then nothing
    There is no future for mankind

    There is no god
    There is no 'morality'
    Do what you please

    Theism is the source of strife
    Godlessness is the only way forward
    The evidence speaks for itself
    I agree with all of that except the 'no morality' bit. I think some atheists have a superior morality than some of the ones pushed by theists, but neither group have a single view on the matter.
  5. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Apr '13 08:23
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Well the reason we need saved is due to our sins before a Holy God,....
    You do know that you are making your beliefs look worse, not better?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    02 Apr '13 08:442 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I agree with all of that except the 'no morality' bit. I think some atheists have a superior morality than some of the ones pushed by theists, but neither group have a single view on the matter.
    I agree with all this except for 'morality' as a concept outside of God. Much of the moral code we adhere to stems from theistic sources, without this atheism is as I said "do whatever pleases yourself".

    Edit however I accept that many atheists behave in a more moral way than some theists. But this is not because of an atheistic originated morality.
  7. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Apr '13 09:131 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Much of the moral code we adhere to stems from theistic sources,
    Only the worst parts. The parts I would label 'immoral'.

    without this atheism is as I said "do whatever pleases yourself".
    That depends entirely on what you understand 'pleases yourself' to mean. Do you for example follow the Bibles teachings because it 'pleases yourself'? If a loved one was in danger, would you do something to help because it 'pleases yourself', because the Bible told you to, or would you have some other motivation?

    Edit however I accept that many atheists behave in a more moral way than some theists. But this is not because of an atheistic originated morality.
    I don't think atheism can originate morality. Atheism is the lack of belief in God/gods. It is not a philosophical system of thought, or religion. Better to say 'secular originated morality' as in 'morality not based on religion' as opposed to 'morality based on a lack of religion'.
    My moral code does not stem from theistic sources.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    02 Apr '13 10:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Only the worst parts. The parts I would label 'immoral'.

    [b]without this atheism is as I said "do whatever pleases yourself".

    That depends entirely on what you understand 'pleases yourself' to mean. Do you for example follow the Bibles teachings because it 'pleases yourself'? If a loved one was in danger, would you do something to help because it ...[text shortened]... sed on a lack of religion'.
    My moral code does not stem from theistic sources.[/b]
    Only the worst parts. The parts I would label 'immoral'.

    Don't steal?
    Don't murder?
    Don't covet?
    Don't commit adultery?

    Helping a loved one is not 'morality', it is self serving behavior, you would know this being an evolutionist.

    It is not a philosophical system of thought...
    I disagree,atheism is fast becoming a philosophical system of thinking; you prefer to hold to the default position that atheist is neutral, it is not; hence you (an al the other atheists) being here in this forum preaching against theism, many of who have openly admitted to wanting to convert theists to atheists.

    My moral code does not stem from theistic sources.
    Naive to say the least; see my first points above.
  9. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    2106
    02 Apr '13 10:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Only the worst parts. The parts I would label 'immoral'.

    [b]without this atheism is as I said "do whatever pleases yourself".

    That depends entirely on what you understand 'pleases yourself' to mean. Do you for example follow the Bibles teachings because it 'pleases yourself'? If a loved one was in danger, would you do something to help because it ...[text shortened]... sed on a lack of religion'.
    My moral code does not stem from theistic sources.[/b]
    re - My moral code does not stem from theistic sources

    with respect i think they might - european pagans were a bit shocking - wicker men for example - that was real. I thought the christians forced them - bullied them into converting but if you read about what the pagans believed it would be very easy to convert them with no force at all, as soon a christianity was around they liked it a lot more - it was a lot more kind, rational and lacking needless sacrifices.

    Rome - well organised but lacking a cohesive religion - also a bit shocking

    Secular folk don't like hearing it but they do have christian morals, they would have roman morals otherwise. thats how i see it.
  10. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Apr '13 10:17
    Originally posted by divegeester
    [b]Only the worst parts. The parts I would label 'immoral'.

    Don't steal?
    Don't murder?
    Don't covet?
    Don't commit adultery?[/b]
    You needed the Bible to tell you those? Utter nonsense. In fact I notice you carefully picked them because you knew that I would agree that they are moral, because you know they do not originated from theistic sources.

    Helping a loved one is not 'morality', it is self serving behavior, you would know this being an evolutionist.
    So you would do it because it 'pleases yourself'? Or would you not do it? I did not claim it was morality, I wanted to clarify what you meant by 'pleases yourself' and to establish whether you also 'Do what you please' on occasion.

    I disagree,atheism is fast becoming a philosophical system of thinking;
    So we are talking about some hypothetical future you dreamed up? When did it start 'becoming'? How long will it take?

    ...you prefer to hold to the default position that atheist is neutral, it is not; hence you (an al the other atheists) being here in this forum preaching against theism, many of who have openly admitted to wanting to convert theists to atheists.
    Atheism in a world of atheists is neutral. It is not something I would base a moral code on.

    Naive to say the least; see my first points above.
    Sorry, but do you seriously think those came from theism? Prior to some stone tablets in the desert, everybody stole, murdered, coveted and committed adultery? And you call me naive?
  11. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Apr '13 10:191 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    as soon a christianity was around they liked it a lot more - it was a lot more kind, rational and lacking needless sacrifices.
    Hilarious. April fools was yesterday.
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    02 Apr '13 10:44
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Jesus (God) died to save us from himself (God).
    Jesus (God) sacrificed himself (God) to save us from eternal damnation which he (God) would inflict upon us. 🙄🙄🙄
    Praise God!
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    02 Apr '13 10:46
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Jesus (God) died to save us from himself (God).
    Jesus (God) sacrificed himself (God) to save us from eternal damnation which he (God) would inflict upon us. 🙄🙄🙄
    yes, if you simplify it to extremes, and pay no attention to nuances, you commit the same mistake the fundamentalists make.


    so congrats, you are no better than rjhinds.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    02 Apr '13 10:551 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You needed the Bible to tell you those? Utter nonsense. In fact I notice you carefully picked them because you knew that I would agree that they are moral, because you know they do not originated from theistic sources.

    [b]Helping a loved one is not 'morality', it is self serving behavior, you would know this being an evolutionist.

    So you would do ert, everybody stole, murdered, coveted and committed adultery? And you call me naive?[/b]
    So you would do it because it 'pleases yourself'? Or would you not do it? I did not claim it was morality, I wanted to clarify what you meant by 'pleases yourself' and to establish whether you also 'Do what you please' on occasion
    Why is it evolutionists love to claim scientific superiority except where their personal sense of altruism is at stake. Amusing.

    So we are talking about some hypothetical future you dreamed up? When did it start 'becoming'? How long will it take?
    Carry on ignoring my points about you and other atheists being here trying to 'covert' theists if you wish. In answer to your [usual] defensive pedantry. Now it is now.

    Atheism in a world of atheists is neutral. It is not something I would base a moral code on.
    Avoiding the same point twice in one post!

    Sorry, but do you seriously think those came from theism? Prior to some stone tablets in the desert, everybody stole, murdered, coveted and committed adultery? And you call me naive?
    As a scientist I'm sure you will have evidence to support your position?
    Lol resorting to "some stone tablets in the desert" as a mechanism to ridicule my point is water off of a ducks back mate!
  15. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Apr '13 11:03
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yes, if you simplify it to extremes, and pay no attention to nuances, you commit the same mistake the fundamentalists make.
    I generally agree, but it is interesting that theists struggle to point out the nuances.
Back to Top