1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 18:25
    Just out of curiosity, what do you place your faith in? Have you ever thought about it? Under what conditions do you feel compelled to place your faith in something? Under what conditions do you feel compelled not to place your faith in something?
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 21:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    Just out of curiosity, what do you place your faith in? Have you ever thought about it? Under what conditions do you feel compelled to place your faith in something? Under what conditions do you feel compelled not to place your faith in something?
    I don't place my faith in anything.
    Which is not to say that I don't rely on things.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 21:57
    Faith is not a word I am comfortable with. Not because I am an atheist and hearing the word burns me like being sprayed with Holy Water or getting pegged with a Bible.

I'm not comfortable with it because I feel it's poorly defined and so any discussion involving it is vague and meaningless, though with a "feel good" aura about it which people like.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:05
    I never place my faith in anything. Faith is contradictory to reason.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:07
    Originally posted by amannion
    I don't place my faith in anything.
    Which is not to say that I don't rely on things.
    So you rely on things you don't place your faith in? Is'nt that contradictory?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:081 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Faith is not a word I am comfortable with. Not because I am an atheist and hearing the word burns me like being sprayed with Holy Water or getting pegged with a Bible.

I'm not comfortable with it because I feel it's poorly defined and so any discussion involving it is vague and meaningless, though with a "feel good" aura about it which people like.
    How would you like to define faith as it pertains to you? For example, do you place your faith in people? Do you place your faith in the car you drive? How would you define such faith you exercise every day?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:101 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I never place my faith in anything. Faith is contradictory to reason.
    I assume that you mean placing faith in a person or object for which you have no reason to place your faith in. However, there must be people and things you place your faith in that you have reason to trust in some way, no? Again, I will ask you what I asked ATY, how would you define such faith you exercise every day?
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:14
    I assume that you mean placing faith in a person or object for which you have no reason to place your faith in. However, there must be people and things you place your faith in that you have reason to trust in some way, no?
    No, not at all. Faith is unjustified belief and unjustified belief is pointless.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:171 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    No, not at all. Faith is unjustified belief and unjustified belief is pointless.
    So when is it justifiable to place your faith in another human being? When is it justifiable to place your faith in an object such as your car?
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:182 edits
    How would you like to define faith as it pertains to you? For example, do you place your faith in people? Do you place your faith in the car you drive? How would you define such faith you exercise every day?
    I don't (use the word faith). I just told you that.

If everyone defines the word to fit themselves, then the word because meaningless.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:18
    I don't. I just told you that.
    So you don't trust anyone? You don't trust anything?
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:19
    So you don't trust anyone? You don't trust anything?
    You said "define faith as it pertains to me" not "do I trust anyone or anything".

Are you suggesting some sort of connection between faith and trust? What is it?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:211 edit
    You said "define faith as it pertains to me" not "do I trust anyone or anything".

Are you suggesting some sort of connection between faith and trust? What is it?
    Their is a relational aspect of faith and trust in that you percieve someone or something is capable of acting in a certain way and are reasonable sure they will based upon some criterea. However, in no way are you EVER 100% sure what the end result will be.

Edit: If there were no connection between faith and trust how could anyone place their faith in anything or anyone if they did not trust them?
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:241 edit
    Their is a relational aspect of faith and trust in that you percieve someone or something is capable of acting in a certain way and are reasonable sure they will based upon some criterea. However, in no way are you EVER 100% sure what the end result will be.

Is that really what you denote by the term 'faith'? What you describe is nothing more than a particular sort of justified belief.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:241 edit
    So when is it justifiable to place your faith in another human being? When is it justifiable to place your faith in an object such as your car?
    Read my post again, I view faith as unjustified belief, as such it is useless. I never put faith in anything, not other humans, not objects; nothing. If faith to you is something else, it must be justified, in which case why is it any different to any other justified belief?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree