1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 02:01
    According to you your understanding of the Abrahamic religions, what would be at the top of the list of things that God wants?

[1] To be believed in ~ and for humans to worship "Him"?
    [2] To be obeyed ~ and for humans to strive to be "sinless"

One of these? Or something else? Just the top one, please.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 04:571 edit
    I can't speak about the other religions but Christianity focuses on love.

1 Corinthians 13
    New International Version
    13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 08:22
    @fmf said
    According to you your understanding of the Abrahamic religions, what would be at the top of the list of things that God wants?

Obedience.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 09:222 edits
    @zoo said
    I can't speak about the other religions but Christianity focuses on love.

1 Corinthians 13
    New International Version
    13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do ...[text shortened]... ly known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
    Loving God and our fellow man are the two great commandments, on these everything else falls into place. How we treat God and man shows how we are doing in these two things. The closer to God we get the more we understand His goodness, righteousness, justice, holiness, truth, love, mercy, and everything else about Him so obeying Him in all He asks becomes easier due to the wisdom in all He does and asks of us, and the further away from Him and knowing Him the more we justify ourselves over Him due to our lack of understanding, and sinful nature. So hating or disliking God becomes easier, hating or disliking ourselves becomes easier, and even hating and disliking ourselves becomes easier.

We progress in one of two ways, drawing closer to Who is love, or away.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 10:25
    @kellyjay said
    Loving God and our fellow man are the two great commandments, on these everything else falls into place. How we treat God and man shows how we are doing in these two things. The closer to God we get the more we understand His goodness, righteousness, justice, holiness, truth, love, mercy, and everything else about Him so obeying Him in all He asks becomes easier due to the w ...[text shortened]... ating or disliking ourselves becomes easier, and even hating and disliking ourselves becomes easier.
    So not belief/worship and not obedience, you put love at the top?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 10:26
    @kellyjay said
    Loving God and our fellow man are the two great commandments, on these everything else falls into place.
    I'm your fellow man. Do you love me? If so, how do you demonstrate it?
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 10:301 edit
    @fmf said

For Jews, obedience [2], grudging.
    For Christians, obedience [2], from 'freewill.'
    For Muslims, submission [effectively, obedience 2], grovelling (with noses to the floor).
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 15:101 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Loving God and our fellow man are the two great commandments, on these everything else falls into place. How we treat God and man shows how we are doing in these two things. The closer to God we get the more we understand His goodness, righteousness, justice, holiness, truth, love, mercy, and everything else about Him so obeying Him in all He asks becomes easier due to the w ...[text shortened]... ourselves becomes easier.

Sorry error on one line: So hating or disliking God becomes easier, hating or disliking our neighbors becomes easier, and even hating and disliking ourselves becomes easier.

Didn’t realize I left off neighbors, my bad.
  9. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 15:31
    @kellyjay said
    Loving God and our fellow man are the two great commandments, on these everything else falls into place. How we treat God and man shows how we are doing in these two things. The closer to God we get the more we understand His goodness, righteousness, justice, holiness, truth, love, mercy, and everything else about Him so obeying Him in all He asks becomes easier due to the w ...[text shortened]... ourselves becomes easier.

Are you using one of those ai things for answers.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 15:37
    @fmf said

No. 1.

Eternity’s a long time and it’s clear from the Bible how forgiveness of sins and eternal life are obtained.

God takes no pleasure in people going to hell, but some people can’t put their pride aside, admit they don’t know everything and investigate whether Jesus Christ is the Messiah and was Resurrected.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 16:29
    @mike69 said
    Are you using one of those ai things for answers.
    No
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:42
    @kellyjay said

So you demonstrate your love for me by getting in a huff and ignoring my on topic posts?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 12:22
    @divegeester said
    So you demonstrate your love for me by getting in a huff and ignoring my on topic posts?
    Love keeps no record of wrongs because we are human.
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 17:32
    Creators, both gods and Webmasters, want obedience to the rules...
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 20:22
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Creators, both gods and Webmasters, want obedience to the rules...
    If the rules allow us to function in a healthy manner without issues why wouldn’t we?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree