1. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 21:27
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Once again:
    The desire to keep ones individual identity in order to have an eternal relationship is self-centered and stems from the fear of death. The ego protects the individual from this fear by way of delusion.

Rhetoric and concepts such as what you've posted is a product of that delusion. It makes the individual "feel good" to bel ...[text shortened]... self interest..." and emphasize gaining "bliss" for oneself. It's all so self-serving.
    Sounds more to me the flesh warring the spirit, no?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 23:091 edit
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Incorrect, stop speculating.

vishva
    "Incorrect" based on what?

If you cannot explain the incongruities of your beliefs, then all you have is dogma perpetuated by your particular flavor of Vedanta.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 23:15
    Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
    Sounds more to me the flesh warring the spirit, no?
    I suppose. Most religions seem to have a version where the original teachings are corrupted by the egos of men. For example, what Christianity has done to the teachings of Jesus .
  4. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 23:31
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I suppose. Most religions seem to have a version where the original teachings are corrupted by the egos of men. For example, what Christianity has done to the teachings of Jesus .
    If you were to "READ" the book SCIENCE AND HEALTH you would find it's teachings are of ONLY ACCORD to Christ's TEACHINGS...

This book is the world's wake up call to reality. In fact, If I were the richest man on the planet and I was with you discussing this book. I would bring to your attention with a slight share of words how I would take all of my "value" that is considered wealth, the riches that I owned, and place them all in the Hotels of Waikiki. Remove all folk from the valley holding them, place armed detonators in each, then detonate them. Jump up on the rubble after the clearing, with the book in my hand and say "Here, this book is way richer.", then toss you the book!
    There are 100 pages in it's back of folk being healed of any ailment that was "INVENTED", just by reading this grand book, that IS the key to the scriptures, and was published over 100 yrs. ago.

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=134339&page=1

27 Sep '10 23:50
    Originally posted by josephw
    "Science and Health posits a wholly metaphysical view of Christianity in which sin, disease, and death are not of God, and are therefore not real. Further, it suggests that by striving toward a spiritual understanding of the world as God's perfect creation, these "false beliefs" are shed from one's experience."

I found this somewhere in wikipedia. ...[text shortened]... comes in many forms and intensities depending on the individual.

Eddy made a fortune.

~ Sin, disease and death are not real?

Who would believe that? ~

Christ said "Follow me, the way the truth and the life, or let the dead bury their dead.", no?

Two testimonies (100 yrs ago) of the 100 in the back of SCIENCE AND HEALTH with key to the scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy ~

Many Physical and Mental Troubles Overcome
    Less than a year ago, when nothing but trouble seemed to encompass me, I was led to Christian Science. My mother's copy of Science and Health was always lying on the table, but I scarcely ever read it. One day, however, the mental conflict was so great I commenced reading in the hope of obtaining peace. Every day since then my companions have been the Bible and Science and Health. At that time I had a very serious eruption on my face, which had been there two years. We had consulted several physicians, and used every remedy suggested to eradicate it, but they proved useless. I had given up all hopes of its ever being healed, as the physician we last consulted pronounced it tuberculosis of the skin and incurable. A few weeks after I commenced reading, I was amazed to see it almost healed over, and today my cheek is perfectly smooth, while the scar is disappearing.
    In April my baby was born with only the practitioner and a woman friend present. I suffered little pain, and the third day I went downstairs. I am able to nurse him, a privilege of which I was deprived with my first child. He is a picture of health, having never been sick a day since he was born.
    - K. E. W. L., Mt. Dora, Fla.
    Depraved Appetites Overcome
    When Christian Science first came to me, or rather, when I first came to Christian Science, I did not have a very bad opinion of myself. I thought I was a pretty good fellow. I had no religious views. I seemed to be getting along as well as, if not better than, some who professed Christianity. So I drifted along until I was led to investigate Christian Science.
    As I progressed in the understanding as gained from the study of both Science and Health and the Bible, and commenced to know myself, I found that a great change had been wrought in me. For fifteen years I had used tobacco, both chewing and smoking; for ten years I had been a victim of the drink habit, sometimes to excess; I was also addicted to profanity. Christian Science removed these appetites. A stomach trouble and other lesser ills, such as headache, a bad temper, an inordinate love of money, etc., disappeared under the same benign influence. Those things that seemed to be pleasure do not give me pleasure now. They were not real pleasure. I have lost nothing, I have sacrificed nothing; but I have gained everything, and not yet the whole, for I can see plenty yet to be done.
    The condition of mind before investigating and after is as different as black and white. As Mrs. Eddy says, "Not matter, but Mind, satisfieth.
    - G. B. P., Henry, S. D.

I ask you where Christian Science lives not Christ's teachings, josephw?
  5. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 23:37
    You fellas, I have for the past 7 yrs lived with nothing but a backpack on the streets of Waikiki Honolulu of Oahu, not a place to lay my head, all for the benefit of all MANKIND AWAKENING from the ignorance (the sin and inventions of ignorance which are MANY) that keeps them bounded to their BEAUTY..

I am a VERY Family oriented man that has not seen his for 10 yrs. now due to such my RESPONSIBILITY for humanity, because I LOVE YOU ALL!
  6. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 19:33
    You fellas, I have for the past 7 yrs lived with nothing but a backpack on the streets of Waikiki Honolulu of Oahu, not a place to lay my head, all for the benefit of all MANKIND AWAKENING from the ignorance (the sin and inventions of ignorance which are MANY) that keeps them bounded to their BEAUTY..

I am a VERY Family oriented man that has not seen his for 10 yrs. now due to such my RESPONSIBILITY for humanity, because I LOVE YOU ALL!
    end of quote
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 19:50
    Yeah right. The creation story is more believable than that.
  8. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 20:01
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Yeah right. The creation story is more believable than that.
    Where do you find me to lie? please do share
  9. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 21:21
    Where do you find me to lie? please do share
    end of quote

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree