1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Apr '20 17:49
    @eladar said
    How many deaths would be a big deal? How about black death percentages of the population? You know, back during the Middle Ages.
    50%? It would take 160 million deaths in the US for this pandemic to be a big deal.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '20 18:24
    @proper-knob said
    50%? It would take 160 million deaths in the US for this pandemic to be a big deal.
    It would definitely be a big deal. It might have been only 30 percent, I saw that number in my search.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 00:341 edit
    @fmf said
    Yes. The quotation marks mean that, although I am typing and using the words "sin" and "salvation" in order to have a go at fashioning a definition, I do not myself think that "sin" and "salvation" are a real things except in the minds of Christians. I use quotation marks around "Hell" for the same reason.
    But you are purporting to define what a Christian believes, not what you believe.

A Christian believes in salvation, not "salvation".

I mean, you know, unless your "definition" is just political comment.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 00:52
    @suzianne said
    But you are purporting to define what a Christian believes, not what you believe.A Christian believes in salvation, not "salvation".
    Not being a Christian, and because I don't believe in the notion of "salvation"~ as Christians do ~ when I refer to it, I use quotation marks - as I do with several words - so that people reading what I write don't think that I believe those things are real.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 00:59
    @suzianne said
    I mean, you know, unless your "definition" is just political comment.
    My definition is stated from my point of view and the way I write it reflects it. If you're hoping that I will write things so they reflect your perception and your point of view, it's just not going to happen. It's interesting that you are addressing me repeatedly about my punctuation, but you are not addressing Eladar about his dismissal of the five core Christian beliefs as "fluff" and dismissal of the words of the Gospel as "meaningless".
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 14:27
    @fmf said
    My definition is stated from my point of view and the way I write it reflects it. If you're hoping that I will write things so they reflect your perception and your point of view, it's just not going to happen. It's interesting that you are addressing me repeatedly about my punctuation, but you are not addressing Eladar about his dismissal of the five core Christian beliefs as "fluff" and dismissal of the words of the Gospel as "meaningless".
    No, I'm hoping that you can correctly define something you don't believe in.

So far, I see you can't do it.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 14:311 edit
    @fmf said
    Eladar doesn't strike me as a Christian, and the evidence appears to bear that out.

I'm quite used to non-Christians dismissing my beliefs; you're doing it yourself in this thread.

You shouldn't be hiding your editorial comment about my beliefs behind your "definition". It's not a definition of the beliefs of others, it is editorial comment about your own beliefs.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 21:39
    @suzianne said
    I'm quite used to non-Christians dismissing my beliefs; you're doing it yourself in this thread.
    My OP is "dismissing" your beliefs? How so?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 21:42
    @suzianne said
    Eladar doesn't strike me as a Christian, and the evidence appears to bear that out.
    Why is it me you are saying this to?

I am not a Christian. He's not a Christian. I provide a legitimate definition of a Christian. He doesn't. I am the one you are saying is "dismissing" your beliefs. You address me over and over and over again. You don't engage his version of Christianity. This is a debate and discussion forum.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 21:44
    @suzianne said
    You shouldn't be hiding your editorial comment about my beliefs behind your "definition". It's not a definition of the beliefs of others, it is editorial comment about your own beliefs.
    The OP lists the five core beliefs of Christians. As for me, I am an agnostic atheist. I am not "hiding" anything.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 21:46
    @suzianne said
    No, I'm hoping that you can correctly define something you don't believe in.So far, I see you can't do it.
    OK, in that case, which of the five beliefs regarding Jesus Christ laid out in the OP do you dispute?
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Apr '20 15:381 edit
    @FMF

There are, for Protestants (anyway), five fundamentals. They are listed at the web site linked below:

https://www.eaec.org/bibleanswers/five_fundamentals_of_the_faith.htm

EDIT: this is only one point along a spectrum. We can discuss some of the other points as well.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Apr '20 17:47
    @fmf said
    OK, in that case, which of the five beliefs regarding Jesus Christ laid out in the OP do you dispute?
    The one where you claim a Christian believes in "salvation".

I assure you they believe in salvation, not "salvation".
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Apr '20 17:48
    @fmf said
    The OP lists the five core beliefs of Christians. As for me, I am an agnostic atheist. I am not "hiding" anything.
    But your "definition" is still incorrect.

Christians do not believe in "salvation".
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Apr '20 17:51
    @fmf said
    Why is it me you are saying this to?

I am not a Christian. He's not a Christian. I provide a legitimate definition of a Christian. He doesn't. I am the one you are saying is "dismissing" your beliefs. You address me over and over and over again. You don't engage his version of Christianity. This is a debate and discussion forum.
    Any more random facts you want to stuff into that paragraph?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree