1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 23:43
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    St. Thomas Aquinas.
    Ok...I read a little, but couldn't find what he said about the soul....
    I read some of this....

http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/3n.htm#basic

Not bad...it's about the 5 ways to prove God's existence.

But as I hope I have shown, I get my answers from God's Word first...
    And the bible has a lot to say about the "soul"...it is breathlife...
    It is found in all living things....If you want to take "man's" word over the Word of God, you are free to do so....Please don't take me as offensive, I don't mean to be...but that is what I believe. I'm happy that you believe in God and Jesus Christ.
  2. Joined
    05 Dec '04
    Moves
    28 Aug '05 09:161 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I hear a lot of talk about the "soul" but I still don't understand what it is supposed to be. Is it distinct from the "spirit", whatever that is, and the mind? Are spirit and mind distinct from one another?
    are mind, spirit and sole the same thing?

oops, i mean soul. you knew that. mayby i'll have fish for dinner!
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Aug '05 14:05
    Originally posted by cavan
    are mind, spirit and sole the same thing?

oops, i mean soul. you knew that. mayby i'll have fish for dinner!
    No...Mind is in your head...soul is "breath life", what makes you live...spirit is a gift that God gives to each believer at conversion to equip him/her with power from on high.

Acts 1:5
    5 "for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
    (NKJ)

Acts 1:8
    8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all
    (NKJ)

The soul or "breath life" (nephesh) is found in the blood, accoring to ...

Lev 17:11
    11 'For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is...
    (NKJ)
  4. London
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 14:131 edit
    http://www.newadvent.org/summa/107500.htm

St. Thomas Aquinas on the human soul.

"To seek the nature of the soul, we must premise that the soul is defined as the first principle of life of those things which live: for we call living things "animate," [i.e. having a soul], and those things which have no life, "inanimate." Now life is shown principally by two actions, knowledge and movement. The philosophers of old, not being able to rise above their imagination, supposed that the principle of these actions was something corporeal: for they asserted that only bodies were real things; and that what is not corporeal is nothing: hence they maintained that the soul is something corporeal. This opinion can be proved to be false in many ways; but we shall make use of only one proof, based on universal and certain principles, which shows clearly that the soul is not a body.

It is manifest that not every principle of vital action is a soul, for then the eye would be a soul, as it is a principle of vision; and the same might be applied to the other instruments of the soul: but it is the "first" principle of life, which we call the soul. Now, though a body may be a principle of life, or to be a living thing, as the heart is a principle of life in an animal, yet nothing corporeal can be the first principle of life. For it is clear that to be a principle of life, or to be a living thing, does not belong to a body as such; since, if that were the case, every body would be a living thing, or a principle of life. Therefore a body is competent to be a living thing or even a principle of life, as "such" a body. Now that it is actually such a body, it owes to some principle which is called its act. Therefore the soul, which is the first principle of life, is not a body, but the act of a body; thus heat, which is the principle of calefaction, is not a body, but an act of a body."

I'll post Kreeft's commentary on this section (from the "Summa of the Summa" ) once I get home.

EDIT: I hate it when " ) comes out as "😉
  5. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 13:45
    Well a 'Soul' is David's surname.

Have you never heard of David Soul? Used to be in a American cop show entitled Starsky and Hutch I believe.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 00:52
    Originally posted by TheSphinx
    Well a 'Soul' is David's surname.

Have you never heard of David Soul? Used to be in a American cop show entitled Starsky and Hutch I believe.
    Yes, that was a good ol' show!😉
  7. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 01:33
    These 5 proofs are complete bull. Take a math or logic class to learn a thing or two about proving something. First, ever heard of the Big Bang theory or forces of nature like gravity, electromagnetic, and the strong and weak forces.

The fact that we can judge things to be more perfect than others doesnt mean there is such a thing as absolute perfection. Each person has there own Idea of what is the perfect job, perfect dog, perfect belief system, perfect mate. It's all relative there isn't an absolute perfect and that CAN be proven. And even if there was, which, you know, there isn't, it wouldn't prove anything about god one way or another.

Ever read anything about the "Blind Watchmaker" concept. This explains the complexity of the natural world perfectly.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 02:42
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    These 5 proofs are complete bull. Take a math or logic class to learn a thing or two about proving something. First, ever heard of the Big Bang theory or forces of nature like gravity, electromagnetic, and the strong and weak forces.

The fact that we can judge things to be more perfect than others doesnt mean there is such a thing as absolute p ...[text shortened]... the "Blind Watchmaker" concept. This explains the complexity of the natural world perfectly.
    Which 5 proofs are you referring to?
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 02:59
    Which 5 proofs are you referring to?
    I think the ones referred to by checkbaiter in the above post with this link:

10. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 19:44
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Yes, that was a good ol' show!😉
    Sometimes these boards get a little too deep.

😀
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 20:24
    Originally posted by TheSphinx
    Sometimes these boards get a little too deep.

😀
    For this type of setting, I think you are absolutely right!🙂
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 21:34
    Originally posted by vistesd

Oh, thanks.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 21:40
    Originally posted by vistesd

Actually "Lucifershammer" brought up St T Aquinas, personally I never heard of him, the site what a simple search.🙂
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 22:51
    I hear a lot of talk about the "soul" but I still don't understand what it is supposed to be. Is it distinct from the "spirit", whatever that is, and the mind? Are spirit and mind distinct from one another?
    As I understand it the soul is the union of the spirit and the body. The mind and the spirit are the same thing?
  15. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 23:02
    Originally posted by gambit3
    As I understand it the soul is the union of the spirit and the body. The mind and the spirit are the same thing?
    According to who??

Remember, no one has authority on the meaning of the "soul". Anything you read about it -- anything, including in Wikipedia, lol -- is just someone else's idea or belief.

"The Tao that can be spoken, is not the true Tao
    The name that can be named, is not the true Name."

-- Tao Te Ching

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree