What is a “Christian”?

What is a “Christian”?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
17 Nov 20

@secondson said
Obviously you're talking about the Rajk.
Come on have some self-reflection.

BDP’s comment is actually a profound truism about theists the world over. It calls out with humorous laser focus the inherent problem with most deistic based religions.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
17 Nov 20

@suzianne said
You'd sure think so, reading this forum.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
17 Nov 20

@divegeester said
Come on have some self-reflection.

BDP’s comment is actually a profound truism about theists the world over. It calls out with humorous laser focus the inherent problem with most deistic based religions.
No, I caught the humor.

But who more than Rajk disagrees more with virtually every Christian posting in this forum?

And frankly, I don't think of it in the terms expressed by BDP. It's really not at all about what one Christian thinks about whether another is right or wrong.

Truth is it's about whether or not a Christian believes what God has revealed. God isn't instructing me to trust the beliefs of another. Instead I am instructed to "...search(ed) the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."

And what about the other verses relative to this train of thought? Two come to mind.

2 Corinthians 10:12-18
12 ¶ For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
13 But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you.
14 For we stretch not ourselves beyond our measure, as though we reached not unto you: for we are come as far as to you also in preaching the gospel of Christ:
15 Not boasting of things without our measure, that is, of other men's labours; but having hope, when your faith is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly,
16 To preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man's line of things made ready to our hand.
17 ¶ But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
18For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth.

2 Corinthians 12:20
For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:

There are no "perfect" Christians, but all Christians know God is infallible, or at least they should.

And here's one more verse that just convicts me every time I read it.

Ephesians 4:29-32
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

So, really, it's not about thinking "I'm right and you're wrong".
That mentality is produced by the flesh, the world and the devil.

It's God's will that we esteem others as better than ourselves.

Moves
17 Nov 20

@secondson said
So, really, it's not about thinking "I'm right and you're wrong".
That mentality is produced by the flesh, the world and the devil.
It's God's will that we esteem others as better than ourselves.
You’re not going to call me an ‘enemy of God’ or an ‘ashole’ again then?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
17 Nov 20

@divegeester said
Ephesians 4:32
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is a double edged sword.

Perhaps you simply missed my point.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Nov 20

@secondson said

I am instructed to "...search(ed) the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."
The bible / God does not instruct anyone to search any scriptures daily. You are as usual demonstrating your inability read and understand simple English. In preaching to the Jews at Berea, Paul told them about Jesus's, death and resurrection and how it was foretold in the writings of the prophets. These Jews who needed confirmation are the ones who were searching the scriptures daily to see if the prophets did in fact foretell these things about Christ.

Searching the scriptures daily is a sign of disbelief and your need for proof that something in the bible is true or not. I can understand an atheist doing that and searching to see flaws and errors.

Christians have already read, understood and believed that Christ died and rose again. They have already read and understood the commandments of Christ. The task now as commanded by God is to DO and OBEY.

Your version of Christianity rebels against that, and worse they condemn the keeping the commandments of Christ, and ridicule those who promote it referring to it as legalistic, works-salvation.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Nov 20
1 edit

Here is Jesus telling disbelieving Jews to search the scriptures

And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. (John 5:37-40 KJV)

Those who disbelieve, search the scriptures.
Those who believe, OBEY.
Disobedience to the commandments is proof of disbelief

Moves
17 Nov 20

@secondson said
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

I’m sorry was that a yes, or a no?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Nov 20

@secondson said
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
That's my point.

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
17 Nov 20

@secondson said

How is Ephesians 4:32 double-edged.

I read in that verse only of kindness and forgiveness and nothing of judgment or derogatory labeling.

Moves
17 Nov 20

@hakima said
How is Ephesians 4:32 double-edged.

I read in that verse only of kindness and forgiveness and nothing of judgment or derogatory labeling.
SecondSon is possibly quoting, or maybe misquoting a teaching related to the scripture:

“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”
Hebrews 4:12

The gospel (good news) of Jesus Christ is not a double edged sword, the word of God is the sword. The metaphor describes the penetrative efficacy of the living word in a person’s being.

c

Moves
12 Dec 20

A follower and believer of Jesus has the Holy Spirit as their "Counselor". There are 9 attributes of when one is living in the Spirit....see Galations 5:22.

How can one call himself a Christian if his life does NOT produce this fruit?

Moves
12 Dec 20

@chaney3 said
How can one call himself a Christian if his life does NOT produce this fruit?
Have you yet decided wether you are a Christian or not?

c

Moves
13 Dec 20

@divegeester said
Have you yet decided wether you are a Christian or not?
If I am a Christian, I'm not a very good one, because I have a lot of doubt about the entirety of the story.

I have faith of a mustard seed, but it's equalled by guilt and confusion.

Moves
13 Dec 20

@chaney3 said
If I am a Christian, I'm not a very good one, because I have a lot of doubt about the entirety of the story.

I have faith of a mustard seed, but it's equalled by guilt and confusion.
Same here to some extent.