what is Holy Ghost?

what is Holy Ghost?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
02 Feb 18

Originally posted by @jacob-verville
I thought, though, that there might be some dispute about the translation of Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit.
You should tackle galveston75 about it.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
03 Feb 18

Originally posted by @fmf
I looked at several of your Bible references. Why have you carefully removed the definite article "the" from in front of "holy spirit" each time you mention it, and why have you carefully removed the capitalization of "the Holy Spirit" to make it just "holy spirit", and what about the numerous Bibles that translate it as "the Holy Ghost"?

Just two examples:
http://biblehub.com/luke/1-15.htm
http://biblehub.com/acts/4-8.htm
Humm. Sorry my friend but I didn't remove anything. It's just a post I've shared with all here. If you can show me what other translation use there I'd appreciate it.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
03 Feb 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
"Why the Holy Spirit Is Not a Person....The Bible compares the holy spirit to water."

Well, the Bible also described God as a burning bush, a whirlwind and a whole host of other things. Is God also not a person?
Well he's not a person at all. He is a spirit and one that the bible says no one can see and live.

F

Moves
03 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @galveston75
If you can show me what other translation use there I'd appreciate it.
All of them - all the other Bibles, all the translations - except the one you use which was specially commissioned by your organization.

There are at least 20 translations here http://biblehub.com/luke/1-15.htm

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
03 Feb 18
1 edit

Forgive the ad hominem here [from wiki], but it's interesting:

[b]Former high-ranking Watch Tower staff have identified various members of the translation team. Former governing body member Raymond Franz listed Nathan H. Knorr, Fredrick W. Franz, Albert D. Schroeder, George D. Gangas, and Milton G. Henschel as members of the translation team, adding that onl ...[text shortened]... ple of years ago, if memory serves, that robbie carrobie started insinuating I was a paedophile.
Lol. So one has to have a bunch of diplomas on their wall and have to attend religious schools and what ever else you think one needs to be qualified to be behind a bible that is used to teach?

How does Jehovah view the educated ones of the earth with their knowledge?

“Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception . . . of the world.”​—COL. 2:8.

Colossians 2:23
23 Although those things have an appearance of wisdom in a self-imposed form of worship and a false humility, a harsh treatment of the body,a they are of no value in combating the satisfying of the flesh.

Not a good thing in God's eyes is it? Now who does the bible say would find his favor?

Luke 1:52
He has brought down powerful men from thrones and has exalted lowly ones;

Psalm 34:6
This lowly one called, and Jehovah heard. He saved him from all his distresses.

Psalm 72:12
For he will rescue the poor who cry for help,Also the lowly one and whoever has no helper.

Psalm 74:21
May the crushed one not turn away disappointed;May the lowly and the poor praise your name.

This last scripture also points out that it would be God's name they would praise which is Jehovah.

Also a point for ones who discredit the NWT. Almost all bibles were under some kind of re writing a few hundred years after Jesus died all the way up to today. And isn't it true that most of these translators were believers in the pagan teachings of the trinity?
So why wouldn't their translations favor that belief? Perhaps ones here need to consider that through Jehovah's direction in getting those hints of the trinity and other pagan doctrines that have influenced those translation, have been and are still now being removed by his directing the NWT which does not teach on any level the trinity?
The bible clearly says that in the last days the "light of the truths would get brighter and brighter". This is what Jehovah has seen that we do with the bible and that is to clean up his word the Bible from the paganistic teachings that are still supported by most religions and still in their bibles.

F

Moves
03 Feb 18

Lol. So one has to have a bunch of diplomas on their wall and have to attend religious schools and what ever else you think one needs to be qualified to be behind a bible that is used to teach?
I think one has to have, at the very least, a translation team whose members have sufficient knowledge in biblical languages. Do you disagree with me?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Feb 18

I think one has to have, at the very least, a translation team whose members have sufficient knowledge in biblical languages. Do you disagree with me?
Not really.... The point missed here is having God's direction on it. If God is behind it just as he was with the original writers who some of the time had very little knowledge of what they were writing, these corrections now in reality would have been an easy task. All that would need to be done was get the bible back to the truths God intended to have in it.
Still the best method to prove a scripture to be correct, is to prove it with other scriptures.

Many translations say that "Jesus is God" ( a trinity belief ) which does not coincide with the rest of the Bible.
Now if that scripture were corrected to say "Jesus is A god", now that scripture is proven correct by all the bible which does describe just that. Being a god is a title given to one such as a spirit being that is higher then a human. Satan is called a god. But being a god never means that they are "The Almighty God, Jehovah."

F

Moves
04 Feb 18
1 edit

Not really.... The point missed here is having God's direction on it. If God is behind it just as he was with the original writers who some of the time had very little knowledge of what they were writing, these corrections now in reality would have been an easy task. All that would need to be done was get the bible back to the truths God intended to hav ...[text shortened]... Satan is called a god. But being a god never means that they are "The Almighty God, Jehovah."
I think the non-stock, not-for-profit organization you are a member of should have employed people with sufficient knowledge in biblical languages to produce your customized version of the Bible.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Feb 18

I think the non-stock, not-for-profit organization you are a member of should have employed people with sufficient knowledge in biblical languages to produce your customized version of the Bible.
Well I appreciate your opinion but that's all it is. I have full faith that Jehovah knows a little more then you do and can have his will done even by the lowly ones..

F

Moves
04 Feb 18
1 edit

Well I appreciate your opinion but that's all it is. I have full faith that Jehovah knows a little more then you do and can have his will done even by the lowly ones..
The issue isn't what I know, galveston75, the issue is what people with appropriate and relevant knowledge in biblical languages know compared to those with insufficient knowledge in biblical languages. Remember it was a senior Jehovah's Witness who drew attention to the problem with the team that created your organization's customized version of the Bible.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Feb 18
1 edit

How does Jehovah view the educated ones of the earth with their knowledge?

“Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty de ...[text shortened]... m the paganistic teachings that are still supported by most religions and still in their bibles.
Scripture also states:
"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." -- Revelation 22:18-19, KJV

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Feb 18

Originally posted by @jacob-verville
Hey thanks Suzianne for the explanation.

I thought, though, that there might be some dispute about the translation of Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit.

I knew the article point instantly.

I just wondered if there was substance to the Ghost/Spirit question.
I, personally, don't think so. As I said, the terms are interchangeable to me, and I think most Christians are on that page. Catholics/Orthodox may discern a difference, I do not know for sure.

JWs, on the other hand, are non-trinitarians. So they do not think the Holy Spirit is a Personage of God. I believe they just think it is some sort of "power" or "aura" of God, despite Jesus himself calling him "the Comforter".

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." -- John 14:26, KJV

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Feb 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Scripture also states:
"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." -- Revelation 22:18-19, KJV
You know I can use that scripture right back at the trinity.... No scriptures in the bible, not one supports the trinity. And history has proved over and over that the masses with a religious belief or a political ideology does not make them right. In fact the bible says that most would not be accepted by God, but it would only be a small amount. Not my words but it's in your bible.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Feb 18

The issue isn't what I know, galveston75, the issue is what people with appropriate and relevant knowledge in biblical languages know compared to those with insufficient knowledge in biblical languages. Remember it was a senior Jehovah's Witness who drew attention to the problem with the team that created your organization's customized version of the Bible.
"Former high-ranking Watch Tower staff have identified various members of the translation team. Former governing body member Raymond Franz listed Nathan H. Knorr, Fredrick W. Franz, Albert D. Schroeder, George D. Gangas, and Milton G. Henschel as members of the translation team, adding that only Frederick Franz had sufficient knowledge in biblical languages. Referring to the identified members, evangelical minister Walter Ralston Martin said, "The New World Bible translation committee had no known translators with recognized degrees in Greek or Hebrew exegesis or translation... None of these men had any university education except Franz, who left school after two years, never completing even an undergraduate degree."

Hummmm, I really don't see the word "problem" mentioned here, do you? All I read is a fact being stated and one that I would think is awesome by what they accomplished!!!!!!
Again the fact here is none of the original writers of the Bible were biblical experts or scholars, why is that? Because the Bible did not exist. But by God's help and direction, look what they accomplished!!!!!

F

Moves
05 Feb 18

Again the fact here is none of the original writers of the Bible were biblical experts or scholars, why is that? Because the Bible did not exist.
Yes, but the Bible DID exist when your corporation commissioned a customized Bible and for some reason used non-linguists to do it and not linguists.